PDA

View Full Version : Is Canned Food Better For You?

crashdive123
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
While it certainly stores longer, what about the nutritional value of canned food? Here are a few answers. http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqcannedfood.htm

vthompson
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
That is a good article Crash, thanks for the post.

Nativedude
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
If it's commercially grown/raised, processed (loaded with pesticides--chemical preservatives--growth hormones--antibiotics) canned food? Then no, it's not better for you.

Now, if it's home grown/raised (no pesticides--no hormones--no antibiotics) and then canned food, then yes, it is better for you. MUCH, MUCH better for you!

chiangmaimav
02-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Canned food is generally loaded with salt and preservatives.

Barefoot
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Canned food is generally loaded with salt and preservatives.

x2

especially the commercial stuff.....

Dennis K.
02-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Home canning, however, might be the way to go.
The commercial stuff is cheap and convenient, but methinks I should learn real canning.

wildWoman
02-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I think you still end up canning most of the nutritional values such as vitamins out of it. We mostly eat canned food throughout the winter and Itake a mutivitamin every day to be on the safe side...

bulrush
03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I've heard that a few vitamins are destroyed by the heat of the canning process. Darned if I can come up with a list though.

Most canned foods are also now available in low-salt, no-salt, low-sugar, and no-sugar preparations for those with special dietary needs

I went to the link above. The statement above is not true at my store. There are only 3 no-salt vegetables sold at my store.

CreekWalker
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I've heard that a few vitamins are destroyed by the heat of the canning process. Darned if I can come up with a list though.

Most canned foods are also now available in low-salt, no-salt, low-sugar, and no-sugar preparations for those with special dietary needs

I went to the link above. The statement above is not true at my store. There are only 3 no-salt vegetables sold at my store.

Here is a forum with a few examples

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366

tacmedic
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I think what that site should say is that canned foods are better than fresh foods that are trucked a thousand miles to be sold, but LOCAL fresh foods are still better than canned foods.