PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Up

vthompson
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I just wonder how many people are stocking up by buying a few extra canned goods and/ or rice, beans,pasta, etc. whenever they go to the grocery store?
I know that we buy a little extra every time that we go.
Most stores only carry around 3 days worth of groceries on their shelves at any given time, so guess how long those would last if something bad happened?
I don't see very many people using their heads whenever they go to the store. They just seem to be buying for the moment.

MatthewnOK
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Now that I'm giving some music lessons I have an extra 80$ a month. After tithes and savings I'll have about 40-50 dollars monthly to spend on extra food/survival supplies. We have to stock up on twice as many beans as normal, because moms are so good I eat them twice as fast! Luckily we a deep well with a manual pump, and enough land to raise a small vegetable plot. Since we're out in the country, with a couple months of food and some seeds we could be set for a long time.

welderguy
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
The wife and I both buy extras, we shop once a month for groceries. And usually a third of that is extras. Unless by some good fortune one of the stores has a mega sale then we will hit that as well in between our normal shopping trip.

Riverrat
02-24-2009, 06:03 PM
I have been picking up a couple of extra cans for quite awhile now. We shop every couple of weeks, but the wife works in the closest city, so if there is a good sale, she will stop and pick it up. We also grow a rather large garden, and this year it will be getting a bit bigger. We pick a lot of wild berries and plants. Can them or make jams out of the berries. We live way out in the middle of no where, and on a great fishing river. Lots of game around, and a spring fed brook with lots of cold clear water. We have a large cold room that we keep stocked up.

Pal334
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Growing up in Upstate NY in the 60's, the family always tried to "stay ahead" at least one payday in groceries (non perishables). Its a habit that we carried on after I was married and with kids. In an urban setting it just seemed the prudent thing to do.

vthompson
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
After I started this thread, my wife and I was talking about it and we looked in our pantry, and we figured that we had about 3 months worth of canned goods stored up. Not only that, but we have a whole beef in the freezer.