PDA

View Full Version : The coolest game bird trap

adalel
02-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Just found this on another forum and was very intreged by it. I have never done this and apologize if this has been posted here before.

Hunting game birds with a dixie cup

That's right, one of those little cups you get to rinse your mouth out in the dentists office with. (other paper cups or even Styrofoam cups can work too, but not as well.)

First add a small amount of bird seed/chicken feed (whatever you have on hand they'll find palatable) to the bottom of the cup. Next rub a small amount of Vaseline (or non menthol chap-stick) around the inside rim.

Now go out in the woods and place this in the area pheasants, partridge, or other game birds frequent; then walk away.

Come back later on that day and you'll find you have a bird standing with a dixie cup over it head waiting patiently to be collected and slaughtered. (don't wait too long to check on the trap however, as the bird is an easy meal for foxes, dogs and other predators.

How does this work? The bird eats the seed at the bottom of the cup, and when it goes to pick it's head back up the vaseline makes the cup stick to the back of the feathers on its head and come to rest covering it's head & eyes. With the birds eyes covered it simply stands there, too stupid to move.

(do be aware however that if the area is extremely windy the cup can be blown over or otherwise moved form it's normal upright position ruining the trap.)

Ken
02-23-2009, 01:41 AM
In that case, you could probably catch my ex-wife (not that you'd want to) with a 5 gallon bucket with a few Godiva chocolates on the bottom.:lol:

laughing beetle
02-23-2009, 02:34 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

skunkkiller
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
:smash::smash::smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

skunkkiller
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
a little honey on inside edge works well also .

welderguy
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
In that case, you could probably catch my ex-wife (not that you'd want to) with a 5 gallon bucket with a few Godiva chocolates on the bottom.:lol:

Thats funny stuff.

Ken
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Thats funny stuff.

And it's true!:lol:

welderguy
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
rumor has it that you can catch turkeys with an old bed spring.
From what i hear you throw some feed inside the coils and the turkeys head gets stuck.
But this is just hear say cause that type of trapping is a NO-NO.

welderguy
02-24-2009, 05:05 PM
a little honey on inside edge works well also .

For game birds or Ken's Exwife.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
02-24-2009, 08:24 PM
I use an empty paint can, a piece of screen and two kitchen magnets. on the under side of the lid attach the circular piece of screen with the magnets. bait the screen . birds fall in cant come out.