PDA

View Full Version : Convincing The Other Half....

Ken
02-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Let's face it: Some people think that people like us, who frequent forums such as this, are just plain nuts. You know, Doomsday freaks and all that nonsense.

I'm about to take up full-time residence with my fiancee, and she's one of those people who doesn't even want to think about TS hitting TF. You know the type: "You want to store a supply of WHAT?"

So, here's what I've done. It's kinda' like playing on her weaknesses.

You see, my soon to be DW is a work-a-holic health nut. She works 45 hours a week, keeps an immaculate home, is a great mom, plants a garden every year, cooks almost as well as I do :lol:, and goes crazy when I suggest that I can get someone to cut her lawn instead of her. The only time she sits down is when she is driving a car. Most of the rest of the time, she's working on something. She's anything but lazy. (She also has other great attributes I need not mention here.)

Nonetheless, she's often forgetful about purchasing things she's about to run out of, like coffee, tea, mouthwash, Advil, dog and cat food, etc. I never forget things like that (CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT COFFEE and the sight of a hungry pet brings tears to my eyes and causes me to defost a steak or a bag of shrimp.)

So, I've hidden varius items throughout her house in places she's not likely to find them. A can of coffee here, a can of dog food there. You get my drift. So, when she says "Oh, no! I forgot to pick up "you name it" I usually sneak off to my hiding place and come back with the item in a couple of seconds.

We've started to have THE conversation about why I want to keep a stash of certain (several) items on hand. It started as "Gee, do you remember the gas lines back in the '70s?" and, "Honey, do you remember when the girls came downstairs and told you that you had run out of Q-Tips and I had about 50 in the shaving kit I always keep in the trunk of my car?" and "Do you love me ONLY because I had a can of coffee stashed away for a moment like this?"

Honestly, it's working. She used to shake her head when she'd come to my home and see 2 cases of paper towels, 4 cases of toilet paper, and about 50 cans of coffee on my shelves. And the 6 rechargable lanterns. And the generators. And the fuel cans. And all the tons other stuff that I think is normal to have in stock and most people think is crazy to keep on hand. She once commented that I probably had OCD.

Now, all she asked is how many moving trucks we need to move my stuff into our new home. I dunno' - maybe 10?:lol: She says she hopes I cut back a little, but, slowly but surely she's coming around to my way of thinking. Or at least she's surrendering to it as nothing more than a harmless psychological disorder I suffer from.

Either way, it's working.

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Ask her what happens in a natural disaster like a hurricane or a tornado when you might have to stay in a ruined home for awhile awaiting rescue. That's more of a real case possibility in any event. Just my 2 pennies.:balloon:

Ken
02-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Ask her what happens in a natural disaster like a hurricane or a tornado when you might have to stay in a ruined home for awhile awaiting rescue. That's more of a real case possibility in any event. Just my 2 pennies.:balloon:

Funny you should say that, Sarge. She once asked me why I had so much plywood (numbered pieces and full sheets) and tarps and 2x4s and 4x4s and other stuff like that in the loft above my garage. I also explained to her how a chain hoist, a come-a-long, and various blocks and tackle work. Oh yeah, that box of 500' of 3/4 inch line (rope for you landlubbers) - I explained why I had that as well. :)

CombatQuarters
02-23-2009, 02:57 AM
It's about convincing the better half.

I know of what you write Ken. My better half it the same way.

She does not understand why I feel it is necessary to keep a fully stocked pantry or linen closet or medicine cabinet, etc.

I whole-heartedly agree with you, and others, especially with all of the natural disasters going on around the country and world today.

I keep a lot of the over-stock supplies (extra clothing, dry goods, TP, PT, etc.) in 30 gallon plastic totes with snap on lids. I store 1/2 of the totes in the attic (in case of flooding) and the other 1/2 in the basement (in case of a tornado). So in either instance we are covered.

I am considering building a water tight room in the basement to store the goods. My buddy built one for about $1,300. It works great.

chiangmaimav
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
My situation is different here than it was in the states. My girlfriend here lived off the land in Cambodia and Thailand during the Vietnam war and the Khmer Rouge occupation, and in truth knows more about survival than I do, so stockpiling supplies here is not such a priority. There is an abundant supply of food, water and shelter in the jungle. Though she does generally have a large supply of rice on hand most of the time.

SARKY
02-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Ken, you've got the right idea! Ask her if you get a week long NorEaster and can't get out of the house for 2 weeks (still need to clean up the mess and find where the car is burried) what are you going to do for food, and other necessities (can you say toilet paper). Not to mention that the stores will probably be cleaned out and waiting for stock to arrive. It is always better to have more stores than you need (help out the neighbors and they will be eternally grateful) than not enough and feel the pangs of hunger.

Ken
02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Funny thing is, I've probably got about a 6 month supply of everything I need JUST IN THE KITCHEN and I STILL pick up bread, milk, eggs, coffee, hot chocolate, and pet food and snacks when a snow storm or hurricane is predicted - EVEN THOUGH I DON'T NEED ANY OF IT. :lol:

crashdive123
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Funny thing is, I've probably got about a 6 month supply of everything I need JUST IN THE KITCHEN and I STILL pick up bread, milk, eggs, coffee, hot chocolate, and pet food and snacks when a snow storm or hurricane is predicted - EVEN THOUGH I DON'T NEED ANY OF IT. :lol:

Ken: Hi. My name is Ken and I keep aquiring things to be prepared.

Group: Hello Ken. Welcome to Preparedness Anonymous.

Remeber - recognizing that the rest of the world has a poblem is your first step on the road to recovery...or something like that.

Ken
02-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Ken: Hi. My name is Ken and I keep aquiring things to be prepared.

Group: Hello Ken. Welcome to Preparedness Anonymous.

Remeber - recognizing that the rest of the world has a poblem is your first step on the road to recovery...or something like that.

:lol: Maybe my Honey's right. OCD. Well, I can survive with it.:)

canid
02-24-2009, 11:07 PM
most people i know understand my interests in both preparedness and alternative living and reduced consumption, etc. or at least they humor me, i can't always tell which.

wait... are you telling me we're not nuts? i'll have to update my resume.

btw: i know we're not plain nuts, but i always figured we where the slightly salty mixed kind.

Ken
02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
NO FOOD FOR THOUGHT HERE:

http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2156727/i/grocery_store_empty_ezr.jpg

crashdive123
02-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Time to change stores.

http://mybrands.com/images/store-shelves.jpg

Scoobywan
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Wasn't really hard to convince the other half... just had her watch the news for a couple weeks. :) I think anyone that can watch the news lately and not have some form of anxiety has more issues than I ever did/do.

laughingbeetle
02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I do not have another half. Just me and my family. And we are all a touch OCD, so whatever I do doesn't faze them in the least.

Amazon
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
My Hubby called me a packrat for years. He now quietly goes about his outside preps and lets me do the buying for the inside preps. We have a healthy understanding of
the importance of survival. When you drive truck across country in a semi as a team
for 12 years you sure better be on the same page LOL! Now....that's survival.