PDA

View Full Version : What If The Internet Went Down?

Ken
02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I've been giving this some thought. :confused1:

What if TSHTF and the internet went off line? We have Forum members all over the world who we may want/need to stay in touch with each other :tabletalk: for several reasons.

So, here I go::idea:

How does everyone feel about designating two or three people (Chris and one or more of the Super Mods) to hold contact information for those of us willing to provide it? I'm thinking of info such as landline phone, cell phone, mailing address, Ham Radio info, stuff like that. Info that would only be shared, IF TSHTF, IF POSSIBLE, (AND I REALIZE IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE IF TSHTF)

(Sarge, I put these smilies in here for you.:lol:)

Responses, everyone?

nell67
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I think it is a good idea Ken,I'd be willing to give them my info.

crashdive123
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Uh Oh...now you're gonna scare Hopeak.

laughing beetle
02-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Same here. However even land lines might not help, if TSHTF. Ham radio, and maybe landmarks, contact points, etc. Ken you have the right idea. I like the way you think. I am glad you are back. ( you aren't nearly as scarey as Sarge!!) ;)

last one standing
02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
ken I'm with you on keeping in touch with like minded folks i wold like to meet some of ya'll to trade skills even set up a barter system some people seam to get spooked about contact info. Man if the net went down it would be hard to meet people that share like ideas. In the case of the shtf it would be nice to be able to gather info from other guys about whats going on in there neck of it. I'm ok with the info thing

Ken
02-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Uh Oh...now you're gonna scare Hopeak.

I gave that some thought as well. Not about making Hopeak afraid specifically, but about the thread he started.

You know, sometimes ya' just gotta' trust someone. You have to go with your gut. I figure that the Admin and Supermods are trustworthy, and I'd be willing to share this info with them. I'd feel this info was safer with you than my money is in the bank.

crashdive123
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
That's why I think that PGVOutdoors had a very good idea with the regional meet and greets. We've had a couple in Florida. Who knows, as time allows maybe we can expand them a bit.

nell67
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I gave that some thought as well. Not about making Hopeak afraid specifically, but about the thread he started.

You know, sometimes ya' just gotta' trust someone. You have to go with your gut. I figure that the Admin and Supermods are trustworthy, and I'd be willing to share this info with them. I'd feel this info was safer with you than my money is in the bank.
You can say that again!:nod:

crashdive123
02-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Maybe this is hard to believe, or maybe not...when you and I exchanged personal info for the food exchange it was kind of a leap of faith. I was fairly new to the forum thing...went with my gut.

Ken
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Same here. However even land lines might not help, if TSHTF. Ham radio, and maybe landmarks, contact points, etc. Ken you have the right idea. I like the way you think. I am glad you are back. ( you aren't nearly as scarey as Sarge!!) ;)

Thanks, Beetle!:)

laughing beetle
02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Sarge, I am just kidding...sort of... you are INTIMIDATING though. This beetle is just trying to not get squashed underfoot in the WolfPack!!

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM

I am in....Everyone knows where I live, My phone number, My real name, my e-mail address, How good looking I am:):flowers::

Ken
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
.....How good looking I am:):flowers::

Hopeak, if I ever loose my interest in women :lol: and undergo a sex change operation :lol::lol::lol: you'll be one of the first guys that I call! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Ken, Don't you know any old ladies, That are desperate....????

I'll even put a door on the outhouse........:):)

Ken
02-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Ken, Don't you know any old ladies, That are desperate....???? I 'll even put a door on the outhouse........:):)

Hopeak, my Honey is 7 years younger than I am. She runs marathons. She's in great shape :drool: I really think you're safe. At least for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Ken
02-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Maybe this is hard to believe, or maybe not...when you and I exchanged personal info for the food exchange it was kind of a leap of faith. I was fairly new to the forum thing...went with my gut.

Hey, Crash!

Sorry, I skipped right over this post. Yeah, it was a bit of a leap of faith for me, too, especially when I had seen that there was almost no clearly identifyable information posted about most members - not even hometowns. Glad we made the exchange, though. (If for nothing more than the fact that I KNOW Rick was jealous.)

You know, as I get older, I feel safer and safer going with my gut feelings as opposed to other forms of decision making. Ahhh, the wisdom that comes with age :yawn:

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Ken, Don't you know any old ladies, That are desperate....???? I'll even put a door on the outhouse........:):)

For Me you silly, You must know one semi-ugly, semi-mean, old lady, with some teeth, that can butcher moose meat, freeze salmon, split firewood and cook on a camp stove. :flowers::stupid:

Ken
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
For Me you silly, You must know one semi-ugly, semi-mean, old lady, with some teeth, that can butcher moose meat, freeze salmon, split firewood and cook on a camp stove. :flowers::stupid:

How many teeth, Hopeak?

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 11:57 PM
How many teeth, Hopeak?

Hey....If it is a deal killer.....fallcies are fine.......:)

Ken
02-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey....If it is a deal killer.....fallcies are fine.......:)

I'll try to locate my address book.

crashdive123
02-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Now that there's funny. I don't care who you are.

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Sarge, I am just kidding...sort of... you are INTIMIDATING though. This beetle is just trying to not get squashed underfoot in the WolfPack!!
Really? Now you're beginning to sound like my wife!:lol: Anyway, remember, it's only the written word, in real life you might be quite surprised!:creepy:

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 12:23 AM
In a real TSHTF situation, I believe that the govt. even shuts down the cell phones & GPS which, BTW, work off of the same computers that the internet does. Still, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!:eyepoke:

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I am in....Everyone knows where I live, My phone number, My real name, my e-mail address, How good looking I am:):flowers::
It's really tough being a "chick-magnet, huh Hopeak!:ladysman:

laughing beetle
02-23-2009, 12:39 AM
In a real TSHTF situation, I believe that the govt. even shuts down the cell phones & GPS which, BTW, work off of the same computers that the internet does. Still, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!:eyepoke:

I figured as much. There are areas or the Adirondaks where there is absolutly no cell phone coverage. (I love it!!!:thumbup:) That was why I was thinking landmarks and maybe... predetermined meeting points? I also was thinking of a post i had seen talking of knowing where the railroad lines run within your area. Knowing alternative ways to meet up with people is a good thing. I am also liking Ken's idea of the ham radio... I know it works in the movies, but would it in "real life"?

laughing beetle
02-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Sarge, you aren't that scarey...I am just real respectful when at any moment my head might be within the jaws of the wolf!! I'm a little beetle!! (well, actually, not that little...gotta lay off the baking powder biscuits!!)

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 12:45 AM
I figured as much. There are areas or the Adirondaks where there is absolutly no cell phone coverage. (I love it!!!:thumbup:) That was why I was thinking landmarks and maybe... predetermined meeting points? I also was thinking of a post i had seen talking of knowing where the railroad lines run within your area. Knowing alternative ways to meet up with people is a good thing. I am also liking Ken's idea of the ham radio... I know it works in the movies, but would it in "real life"?
I meant "the sane satalites that the cellphones & GPS systems use." I think Ham Radios would work but it requires a special license to use & takes quite awhile to get. Still, any data is better than none!:balloon:

laughing beetle
02-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Ok... Now, is a ham radio the same as a C.B. radio? I know, lots of questions... but this topic got me thinking... My cell phone recently s*** the bed and I have been noticing the lack, or rather how much I wasn't using it anyways.

Ken
02-23-2009, 12:54 AM
I meant "the sane satalites that the cellphones & GPS systems use." I think Ham Radios would work but it requires a special license to use & takes quite awhile to get. Still, any data is better than none!:balloon:

I started a thread about Ham Radio last spring. Last month, I had a new client come in who happened to be a local ARRL official. I talked to him about about getting my license back (I let it expire decades ago) and he got me a study guide. Guess what - no more Morse Code requirement! The equipment that's hit the market since I last had my license (about 1982) has evolved as much as computers have since then.

laughing beetle
02-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Hmmm...i know there are Ham Radio clubs up in my area. I am going to have to check into it. I like the fact that Morse Code is no longer a requirement. I have ADHD, am unmedicated, and drink LOTS and LOTS of coffee!!! I was allways adding extra dots...--...--- -- --..--..---..--..-----.-- :lol::lol::lol:

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I also like the idea of certain "gathering places". If the crap really goes down then we have certain predetermined places to gather & co-ordinate. That could also spare those who really don't want to give out personal info.

It's also good news about the Ham Radio req.; &, no, CB's are a bit different, although also a viable alternative if you got the right equipment. I could see a "net" of members with large CB towers, power Mikes, etc.. What about a sat. phone? You would still need electricity though.:balloon:

laughing beetle
02-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Rig the c.b. up to a car battery? If the sattelites were out then the sat.phone wouldnt work, would it?

SARKY
02-23-2009, 01:28 AM
One thing that I have noticed is that not everyone on the forum puts down where they are from. It would be nice to know who is in my area so that we might get together or network just in case. Is it possible to have an area where say all the people from the tristates area can go to see who their neighbors are?

Ken
02-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Ham Radios have unlimited range (depending on the band) and can be powered by a hand-crank unit. Unless the radio succumbs to EMP, it will be good to go no matter what.

crashdive123
02-23-2009, 07:05 AM
One thing that I have noticed is that not everyone on the forum puts down where they are from. It would be nice to know who is in my area so that we might get together or network just in case. Is it possible to have an area where say all the people from the tristates area can go to see who their neighbors are?

There have been a few threads (got one now titled Where the heck are you from anyway in General Chat) where the location question has been asked. Some people don't mind others knowing where they are from, while others do.

Norse&Native
02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
The worst thing about the internet going down would be that I would have to develop an attention span again.

Nativedude
02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
If the net goes down and TSHTF, y'all can come up here and stay in our Yurts. BYOF, BYOB, BYON, and come on up! :thumbup: