PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geek Question.....about back tracking...???

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Just how anonymous is this computer posting stuff.....???

Sure the FBI and the CIA, could backtrack to your door...I assume.

So here is the question, If someone enraged an unstable homicidal Internet technology professional......could he backtrack to where the person posted from...???

If question is unclear let me know. I can barely get on-line and check mail.

Scoobywan
02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
In order to track someone down via the internet, you have to get their IP address, I'm sure it's logged on the server you're posting to, but not everyone can access them. If someone where to get your IP address, it's simple to find out what ISP (internet service provider) and general location that IP is from. But to get down to your actual address you'd have to contact the ISP and they wouldn't give just anybody your address. Now that answer doesn't take into account people hacking the servers your posting to, or hacking the ISP you use. In order for someone to show up at your front door (that's not a federal agent of some sort) it would take some work and some illegal actions. When sending emails or using instant messengers finding someone IP gets easier, but still you have the getting the address from the ISP problem. But if however, you use your actual name (first and last), and have a listed phone number, someone could backtrack the IP and find your general location, then just use the phonebook to find your physical address. So, is it possible, yes. Is it worth someones time to track you down.... only if you really really p*ssed them off. There are many ways to find info, not just the one I described... but that would be the most common, I think.

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank You.........

LowKey
02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Watch out for registered static IP addys (usually registered in blocks)...especially if you log in from work.

Registered static IPs are very easy to trace to the owner of the block using a reverse DNS search. They may not find your house but they'll know where you work.

On forums, usually only the Admin and high-level Mods can see IPs (it's a spam control measure). If a forum has an open "Who's Online" list showing IPs, I don't join. (The list here isn't open).

If you access any other person's website on the internet, they can run a list of all IPs that ping their site. If you post a comment in a blog, your IP is registered and your post time stamp tells em where to look.

Be careful out there.

wildography
02-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Just how anonymous is this computer posting stuff.....???

Well, if you live in Hope, Alaska, and if you live in Chugach National Forest, near Trail lake... it took me about 4 minutes to GOOGLE search your user name and the other info in your wilderness-survival profile... if you don't live anywhere near there... it takes a lot longer... unless you have "professional"/"governmental"/"hacker" access...

LowKey
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
^That's your bigger risk. Posting TMI.

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
So is there an element of danger....And if so....where does the danger exist.

LowKey
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Depends on what you define as danger.

I've known people to get busted for surfing the internet at work cuz they posted to a blog and the blog owner sent an email to the IT address at their place of business...

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
^That's your bigger risk. Posting TMI.

What is TMI......?

crashdive123
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
TMI = Too Much Information

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, if you live in Hope, Alaska, and if you live in Chugach National Forest, near Trail lake... it took me about 4 minutes to GOOGLE search your user name and the other info in your wilderness-survival profile... if you don't live anywhere near there... it takes a lot longer... unless you have "professional"/"governmental"/"hacker" access...

But you would still not if the the information was bait........?

So now my question is what do you know for sure. If anything.

And does the information have any value to anyone......? If so to whom, and to what end.......?

wareagle69
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
hopeak quite playing with your food

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Wareagle, my guess is you know where this leads too.

And the food is the bait, or could become the bait.

See, I think in the end it is checkmate. And the information is useless.

Ken
02-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Hopeak,

Big Brother arrived over a decade ago. He established permanent residence on 9/11.

The government can find out anything it wants to about you from your internet use.

My work often requires me to obtain information on various individuals. Generally, I find what I need very quickly all by myself. If not, I use a P.I. who legally gets me all of the information I need.

Today, if one works in the right government agency, especially if they can issue a "national security letter", they can find out prety much everything about you. Online habits, financial info, family and friends, what you eat, what you buy, where you drive, who you associate with, the pics you send and receive, and store on your cell phone. It's incredible.

Did you know that the technology exists to eavesdrop on you through your cable television hook-up? Most cable companies can turn on your cable box AND television from their location. Your television speaker is really nothing more than a large microphone. Reverse a few connections on their side of the box and everything you say in your home can be overheard. 1984. It's happened.

Shop at B.J.'s, Sam's Club, any grocery chain where you use a "customer savings card" - all these places keep a record of everything you purchase.

Pull out one of those "instant savings coupons" from the electronic dispenser on the grocery shelf and there's a good chance your picture gets taken. Each coupon has an unique identifying code. Buy the product, and the store now has a record of your purchase with this specific coupon. The manufacturer can obtain this info from the retailer and match your name with your photograph.

It's quite easy to set up a photo album of all the folks in your town who suffer from hemmoroids or herpes. They can even predict your cholesterol levels!

During the VietNam war, spec forces units sometimes snuck into enemy camps to draw samples out of the latrines. Why? So the samples could be analyzed to determine how well nourished the NVA and Vietcong were. Today, the government can pretty much do the same with all of us electronically.

On November 11, 2007, Donald Kerr, Deputy Director of National Intelligence stated, "Privacy no longer can mean anonymity. Instead, it should mean that government and businesses properly safeguard people's private communications and financial information."

A long while back (don't remember the thread) I suggested that this forum is probably monitored by someone, somewhere, and I didn't mean by Chris or one of the Super Moderators, either.

Makes you sick, doesn't it?

Sourdough
02-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Ken, Yes to all of that.

And what interests me is two related things. One.... that I foolishly posted my photo, and my location. And second ....that some people have stated that should the "SHTF" and their children or family was hungry & or starving they would do what ever was necessary. Then throw in the standard issue crazy who gets his feeling hurt, and has a fleet of battle rifles.

So I ask really where does that leave me.....?

Now I am a great lover of James Clavell novels. So perhaps all is not as it appears.......:)

Now that said, several people have posted their photo and their place of employment, what they drive, photos of their wife, kids, them in work uniform, etc.

So that leads me to well, "SO WHAT". What is the value of hiding, or the downside to people knowing who you are, where you live, what you look like.

So what could someone do with the information they got or think they have about someone on the INTERNET. Should I be concerned, or should they be concerned the information is bait.....?

woodsman86
02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Let me share a story about big brother.

At one of the units on my post there was a group of Soldiers on extra duty (being punished). Being the steller performers they were they decided to make a video of themselves acting like ignorant morons. All of the Soldiers involved did not have their tops on with the unit patch and name. In the video they were using racial slurs and demonstrating racist behavior to put it mildly. One of the Soldiers decided it would be a good idea to then post this video on YouTube. Literally within 30 minutes there were FBI and CID agents in the Brigade Commander's office of the Soldier that posted the video. They were dealt with and none of those Soldier are in the military any longer.

This is just something to think about when you think no one is watching.

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 01:21 AM
To the extent possible I would like this thread to be about "NON"-Government problems.

Is your safety compromised by "Non Government people" knowing where you live....or does it not matter.

If you get someone from the Internet in a rage, just foaming at the mouth, and he comes to your house......just who is at risk...???

doug1980
02-22-2009, 01:31 AM
To the extent possible I would like this thread to be about "NON"-Government problems.

Is your safety compromised by "Non Government people" knowing where you live....or does it not matter.

If you get someone from the Internet in a rage, just foaming at the mouth, and he comes to your house......just who is at risk...???

Actually something like this has happened on another forum I belong to. A member posted a picture and hometown info on a political forum of another member. Well the other memeber seen his pic and was able to find out exactly who it was that used his pic.

Another instance I have heard of was a young Airman who lived in the dorms on Base posted pics of himself holding a gun his room on myspace. The next day he had some explaining because no guns are allowed in the dorms. Turns out myspace is monitored by OSI.

It's a scary world we live in these days that's for sure. No matter what you do or where you go there may be someone watching or listening.

canid
02-22-2009, 01:33 AM
well that depends on what you post, how you post and who you might be worried about.

if you have people to worry about, and you post information that can uniquely identify you, you should be worried. if on the other hand you aren't worried about somebody person, known or unknown knowing your address or name, i wouldn't worry.

i've only had one person threatening to kill me recently, and he already knows where i live. i don't do much i wouldn't want strangers knowing about and usually before somebody wishes me enough ill to be a danger, i know who they are and why they are angry.

The Shadoran Nomad
02-22-2009, 10:10 AM
In order to track someone down via the internet, you have to get their IP address, I'm sure it's logged on the server you're posting to, but not everyone can access them. If someone where to get your IP address, it's simple to find out what ISP (internet service provider) and general location that IP is from. But to get down to your actual address you'd have to contact the ISP and they wouldn't give just anybody your address. Now that answer doesn't take into account people hacking the servers your posting to, or hacking the ISP you use. In order for someone to show up at your front door (that's not a federal agent of some sort) it would take some work and some illegal actions. When sending emails or using instant messengers finding someone IP gets easier, but still you have the getting the address from the ISP problem. But if however, you use your actual name (first and last), and have a listed phone number, someone could backtrack the IP and find your general location, then just use the phonebook to find your physical address. So, is it possible, yes. Is it worth someones time to track you down.... only if you really really p*ssed them off. There are many ways to find info, not just the one I described... but that would be the most common, I think.

Wow - that was really well explained. I actually learned something from that post. Thanks :)

wildography
02-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Turns out myspace is monitored by OSI.

It's a scary world we live in these days that's for sure. No matter what you do or where you go there may be someone watching or listening.

Good point! That reminds me of something that I forgot all about (seems like that happens more and more as I get older! sigh...)

Alot of business, and especially government agencies, have software programs that scour the 'net for their business name, profile, etc... or, in the government's case: "hot words". When they get a hit it gets pulled up, and eventually someone is 'sposed to look up the reference...

oly
02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Certain key words will flag you. I dont know what they are so use your imagination

Ken
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
With just a little effort, and maybe a few dollars, you can find out pretty much whatever you want about anyone today.

I'm really not trying to remain anonymous. If I were, I would have just signed onto the Forum as a guest and gained knowledge without really making my presence known (although it would still have been possible for someone with the right experience - someone called a hacker - to learn of my visits and identity).

In the early 1980's, as a consultant, I designed shareholder service (mutual fund) and other processing systems for a number of large banks and a few state agencies. I was also contracted by some of these banks to "test" their computer security. The shortest time it took me to "break in" to a Boston bank's system and begin printing checks to myself was about 3 minutes. The security password was the word "access" - quite close to the beginning of the commonly used words in my alpha search list. And it's amazing how many people use the word "password" as their password. The longest time was a little over one day with a New York Bank. I only gave up on one system, and I'm sure that with more effort it could have been compromised as well. Today, with the software now available, even the more secure systems are relatively easy prey.

But, back on point, the real question is:

"Am I compromising my personal safety and security by disclosing personal or identifying information online?"

The answer begins with other questions:

"What risks do I fear and from whom?"

The government can find out whatever they want to about you, internet use or not. And yes, key word searches take place across the entire internet 24/7. The government knows if you have weapons and purchase ammunition. If you do, you likely are the type to prepare and keep other supplies at hand as well. There are "profiles" that have been developed as predictors of human behavior. Enough said.

More probably, you may be concerned about private citizens, not the government, learning about you, your supplies, and your security from your posts. In other words, "Have I have myself a target for others if TSHTF?"

Honestly, probably not. Almost EVERYONE has some store of supplies at their homes. If we faced a total "dog eat dog" scenario, most aggression would be against the easiest targets. Would you rather attack someone who appears to be easy prey or someone you know most probably has weapons at hand?

Each time I have posted, I have known that I am divulging a little more information about my identity and my thought processes. I have thought about this fact each time I post.

Review my posts and, with little effort, any of you could learn my identity, home address, and office address.

1. You know my first name.
2. You know my occupation.
3. You know my hometown.
4. You know that I have held elected and appointed government offices.

There is only one person in the world that only these four combined pieces of information identify. ME.

What else do you know about me from my posts?

1. You know what type of vehicles I own.
2. You know I own firearms. You even know a few of the types I own.
3. You know I have held high level positions in my state and local Emergency Management Agencies.
4. You know I have survival, medical, firearms, and NBC training and experience.
5. You know I own generators and have long term supplies on hand.
6. You know I am moving to a new home, and you should easily be able to narrow just where to only a few towns.
7. You know I have adult children, and that my sons have significant wildnerness training and experience.
8. And you know far more by reading my posts.

From all of this, those of you with common sense can probably make a number of logical conclusions regarding many other things about me.

By way of private messages, some of you even have my address and telephone number.

Do I know EXACTLY who many of you are? From your posts, yes I do. I may have even viewed your home by way of Google or Google Earth. Some of you may have looked at my current modest home on my small lot yourselves.

Am I worried about all of this? No, not really. Are you?

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Ken, Thank you for a great post. I find my concern interesting, at least to me interesting, in that I like to watch myself, watch my thinking, etc. and at first I was concerned that harm could befall me, then it switched to befalling the hunter of me. As I looked at it, I started to realize that I was somewhat subconsciously "baiting". My initial thought was I P!ss-off some 23 year old anarchist short tempered hothead, and he would track me down.

But...and it is a large But, what if he was goat-ed, and baited into a "Knight's Gambit".
See my initial question was about a crazy Homicidal Internet Technology person hunting me.

But what if I am the "Crazy Homicidal" bored retired professional hunter, at the end of life. Now who is the hunter, and who is the bait. I do so miss James Clavell.

Would make a good plot for a movie.

Fletcher
02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks Ken good points you've made. I just bought my first digital camera.
Now to post a picture or not will have to be determined.

Hope i don't think you have much to worry about
other than the four legged wild life at your location. You already have the high ground and you know every inch of your place and your a pretty good shot as well.

Ken
02-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Ken, Thank you for a great post...... I do so miss James Clavell......

Hopeak, the post was my pleasure.

And, before I forget, I grinned when I read yor earlier post about Clavell. Just yesterday, I ran across my hardbound copy of Shogun. I LOVED THAT BOOK! Of all of his works, and I've read them all, the only one I thought was less than spectacular was Whirlwind, and it was still a pretty good read. Reading Clavell once caused me to bake an apple pie at 1:30 in the morning, to let it cool a bit, and them to chop it up in a bowl with light cream poured over the pie. Remember the Tai Pan (?) passage describing that? His descriptions of food still drive me crazy at times.

Hopeak, I suspect that many of us on the Forum are not the type of folks most people would want to screw around with. I know what many of us are trained and experienced in, and I know what many of us are probably capable of if necessary. I know that some of you are much more "capable" than me, but I also know that I am far more prepared, alert, and formidable than most of the general population. Yet, I have never, and never will, underestimate ANYONE.

When I was younger, I ventured off into the wilderness for 2 week stretches with nothing more than instant coffee, sugar, creamer, a few Slim Jims, some chewing gum, and a few survival items, all of it carried in one fanny pack, and returned having gained over 10 lbs. Add some Ben Gay or Icy Hot and a few Advil for aches and pains, and I could still do that today.

I've eaten slugs (one of my original posts, which caused Rick to gag - until I informed him I also enjoy venison with bearnaise sauce) and I've made jam from berries and pine syrup, which I ate over cat tail crackers that were kinda' like matzo bread.

Yet, every time I read posts on the Forum I learn something new and useful about survival or being self-sufficient. And remember, it's probably the things that we haven't, or possibly can't, divulge about ourselves, our experience, and our knowledge that may truly surprise others.

Membership in the Forum, and communicating with all of you, has given me insight (positive and negative) about others, and has made me feel more prepared rather than more vulnerable. And for that, I thank all of you.

Sourdough
02-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Yet, every time I read posts on the Forum I learn something new and useful about survival or being self-sufficient. And remember, it's probably the things that we haven't, or possibly can't, divulge about ourselves, our experience, and our knowledge that may truly surprise others.

Membership in the Forum, and communicating with all of you, has given me insight (positive and negative) about others, and has made me feel more prepared rather than more vulnerable. And for that, I thank all of you.

DITTO That, Ditto that, well said.

Whirlwind was my favorite: the only one I could not read twice was "King Rat".

To those of you who have never enjoyed James Clavell, I suggest not reading them in the order written, but in chronological order for the time period of the book. Also do not be ashamed if you need a legal pad to keep track of the characters.

Rick
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Hopeak, I think you stand a far better chance getting caught outside by a furry visitor or some local drunk than any of us traveling a couple of thousand miles just because we're ticked off. We'd probably cool down well before we got there.

nell67
02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Hopeak, I think you stand a far better chance getting caught outside by a furry visitor or some local drunk than any of us traveling a couple of thousand miles just because we're ticked off. We'd probably cool down well before we got there.
Heck yea we'd cool down,have you heard how cold it's been up there?? Hard to stay hot under the collar when your teeth are chattering.