PDA

View Full Version : Garden Season

vthompson
02-21-2009, 06:38 AM
I can't wait for garden season to get here this year because I am ready to get at it. We are going to make our garden bigger this year so that we can plant more green beans and potatoes. We are also wanting to plant a little more corn but not much.
We also plan on canning quite a bit more this year also especially with the economy the way that it is. I already bought 5# of beans at Southen States the other day and the seed potatoes will be in next week. They didn't have the corn that I wanted yet but that is for another day I suppose.
My wife has already planted some tomatoes in pots in the house to get started and she is going to start some peppers also.

LowKey
02-21-2009, 07:24 AM
I was out buying radish and tomato seeds yesterday. There's still a foot of snow on the ground but one can hope... I have a smallish garden but it fills the freezer pretty good. This year I should dust off my mom's old canning equipment and see if I can learn to do that. She always did the canning when I was growing up and I didn't pay that much attention to the whole process.

I'd given some thought to asking a local farmer about borrowing a small corner of a hayfield he has next to me just to try some corn. I can't plant enough of it on my plot to get a good cross pollination.

My seed orders haven't arrived yet but any day now. I'm also buying in some 3 year old blueberry plants and 3 year old cranberry plants. The blueberry rows are ready and waiting but the cranberries were an impulse buy. I have this semi-damp hillside seep area for them but gonna have to dig it out and prep it while they wait in pots.

RunsWithDeer
02-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I have all my seed and ready to start the tomato and peppers in the greenhouse in a few weeks. Still early for me, our last frost is Mid May. We too are expanding our planting this year, and plan to do more canning. We also sell at our roadside stand, or at a farmers market anything we have extra.

grundle
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I wanted to turn my ground today, but it is still frozen :(

Next week it will be done for sure. Mar 7, the beans go in :)

RunsWithDeer
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Got the tomatos and peppers started this past weekend. Won't be long now till last frost.

palerider
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
last frost up here is usually around mid may so i have a bit yet, nothing like eating food that you have made or grown, last years attempt did not work out with container gardening, will focus harder this year, do have lots of horse crap available and we are making raised bed garden out of tammarack and filled with manure, see how she goes.

Swamprat1958
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
It warms up pretty quick in Louisiana and I planted 1 row of potatoes and 4 rows of corn on Saturday. Sunday I set out 45 tomato plants, 3 watermelons, 1 cantaloupe, 3 squash, 9 Jalapeno peppers. If the weather holds out I will plant another 5 rows corn, a row of green beans and other assorted stuff in a week.

The old guideline in Louisiana is to plant after the sweet pecan buds break. They broke here last Thursday. I planted about the same time last year and only had to cover the plants one night. Hopefully, I will not have to cover them any more than that this year.