PDA

View Full Version : Henry Survival Rifle

vthompson
02-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Does anyone here own a Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle? I have been thinking about maybe getting one, but would like to hear from someone who owns one.
I would like to know about their accuracy out to around 50 yards, the ease to take them apart and put back together, and carrying one in a backpack. These are some of the questions that I would like to have answered. If you can help me, please leave a post. Thank's.

mcfd45
02-21-2009, 02:35 AM
My buddy has one. I have never fired it but I have put it together and broke it down. It is very easy to put together and easy to take apart. It folds up into the stock very nicely. It would fit into the large pouch of a backpack.
Jeff

vthompson
02-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Thank's for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Sarge47
02-21-2009, 06:44 AM
1st, check these Threads out:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3585&highlight=Henry+Survival+Rifle

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3508&highlight=Survival+Rifle.#post3508

BTW, I own one.

SARKY
02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I own one. I love it. It's light weight, accurate enough to take small game with and goes together and comes apart easily. The nice thing about the new Henerys is that it will hold 2 magazines in the stock whereas the older ones like mine only hold one. If I remember correctly the henery is also set up to take a scope. So a small pouch attached to the stock could carry extra ammo and a small scope.

Geronimo!
02-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Looks very good for small game. Has anyone taken any medium to large size game with this thing?

Ken
02-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I was given a Henry several years ago. It's a neat little gun to shoot, but the whole concept puzzles me.

The stock is touted as "waterproof." However, when disassembled, the barrel and action don't really "fit" into the waterproof stock, they stick out of the end of the stock, and since you can't put the recoil pad back on the stock, what good is the "waterproof" design? Is it merely to keep other things dry which you will have to remove once you "collapse" the thing?

Honestly, when I first got the thing, I thought I was doing something wrong when I put the barrel and action into the stock and couldn't get the recoil pad back on because the action and barrel simply wouldn't fit entirely inside the stock.

Then it dawned on me. (Duhhhh) If the barrel's longer than the stock, how could it possibly fit inside? I would have expected that the barrel and action would fit all the way inside to allow the recoil pad to "seal" the whole package.

Again, neat gun to shoot, but the concept simply perplexes me.

klkak
02-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I had one. I liked it so little that I forgot where I put it and haven't missed it. I imagine I'll open a box around here one day and find it again. There are much better small rifles out there.

Ken
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I had one. I liked it so little that I forgot where I put it and haven't missed it. I imagine I'll open a box around here one day and find it again. There are much better small rifles out there.

Klkak, am I missing something in my understanding of this rifle?

klkak
02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Klkak, am I missing something in my understanding of this rifle?

Only if you don't understand that I don't like it. So much so that I've forgotten where I've put mine and haven't tried to find it.

By the way, I didn't buy mine. I took it from a family member who was threatening to shoot another family member with it.

Ken
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Only if you don't understand that I don't like it. So much so that I've forgotten where I've put mine and haven't tried to find it.

By the way, I didn't buy mine. I took it from a family member who was threatening to shoot another family member with it.

Okay. I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

klkak
02-21-2009, 03:43 PM
If you would like a light weight take down repeating .22 rifle. I highly recommend the Taurus M-62c SS carbine. I own one and it is a good little rifle that cost under $200 new.

Ken
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Klkak, are you aware of any that actually store entirely in the stock? Otherwise, the only option is a scabbard.

klkak
02-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Not off the top of my head. My little Taurus fits into my pack with no trouble. I also own an M-6 scout (highly modified).

Sam
02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I was given a Henry several years ago. It's a neat little gun to shoot, but the whole concept puzzles me.

The stock is touted as "waterproof." However, when disassembled, the barrel and action don't really "fit" into the waterproof stock, they stick out of the end of the stock, and since you can't put the recoil pad back on the stock, what good is the "waterproof" design? Is it merely to keep other things dry which you will have to remove once you "collapse" the thing?

Honestly, when I first got the thing, I thought I was doing something wrong when I put the barrel and action into the stock and couldn't get the recoil pad back on because the action and barrel simply wouldn't fit entirely inside the stock.

Then it dawned on me. (Duhhhh) If the barrel's longer than the stock, how could it possibly fit inside? I would have expected that the barrel and action would fit all the way inside to allow the recoil pad to "seal" the whole package.

I have a newer one and it all fits in the stock with the cover in place. It is a fun rifle to shoot.
-Sam

Ken
02-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Could it fit in a 20" scabbard?

SARKY
02-21-2009, 04:04 PM

It will all fit in the stock! The barrel goes in muzzle first with the front sight straight up. No, the barrel isn't longer than the stock as it goes in at an angle. I've had mine for better than 20 years and have had no problems with it going together or comming apart and fitting in the stock.

klkak
02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Could it fit in a 20" scabbard?

Yes it will.

Ken
02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
It will all fit in the stock! The barrel goes in muzzle first with the front sight straight up. No, the barrel isn't longer than the stock as it goes in at an angle. I've had mine for better than 20 years and have had no problems with it going together or comming apart and fitting in the stock.

And the recoil pad will fit over everything nice and snug? What did I miss here?

Sarge47
02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
The barrel should fit down into the stock, make sure that the front sight isn't "hanging up" somehow. Yes, it is grooved to take a scope, however the scope, obviously, does not fit into the stock.:detective: BTW, did you check out those other threads?:cool:

Ken
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
The barrel should fit down into the stock, make sure that the front sight isn't "hanging up" somehow. Yes, it is grooved to take a scope, however the scope, obviously, does not fit into the stock.:detective: BTW, did you check out those other threads?:cool:

Thanks, Sarge!

SOMETHING'S gotta' be causing it to hang up somewhere.

Yeah, I checked out the other threads as well.

I'll be digging the thing out to play with it soon.

RichNH
02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't have the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle, I have a prior version, same design though. While the rifle floats and stows up into a smaller package, I wouldn't use it in any capacity, the one I have isn't that accurate. The sights aren't that good either. But as I say, mine is an older manufacturer, made over 20 years ago.

Sarge47
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't have the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle, I have a prior version, same design though. While the rifle floats and stows up into a smaller package, I wouldn't use it in any capacity, the one I have isn't that accurate. The sights aren't that good either. But as I say, mine is an older manufacturer, made over 20 years ago.
So why don't you list it for sale? I bet somebody here would like to buy it. You'd have to find somebody to ship it for you & somebody else to receive it for the buyer, but I bet you could sell it!:thumbup1:

vthompson
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I suppose that I opened up a can of worms asking about the Henry AR-7, but I don't know whether to try to get one now or not. There are so many varied answers as to the accuracy, storability, breaking down and putting back together, etc.
I do want to thank those of you who answered the question though, and thanks for your opinions and experience with the rifle. I still have some thinking to do on the matter.

Sarge47
02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
I suppose that I opened up a can of worms asking about the Henry AR-7, but I don't know whether to try to get one now or not. There are so many varied answers as to the accuracy, storability, breaking down and putting back together, etc.
I do want to thank those of you who answered the question though, and thanks for your opinions and experience with the rifle. I still have some thinking to do on the matter.
Remember, a gun is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. When I was 18 I bought a bolt-action .22 from a local store only to find out that the gun was inaccurate. I sold it to my younger brother. One day we disturbed a Bumble-Bee nest & he started showing off by shooting the bees out of the air with my former rifle!:rambo:

Ken
02-23-2009, 12:17 AM
One day we disturbed a Bumble-Bee nest & he started showing off by shooting the bees out of the air with my former rifle!:rambo:

Please remind me of this if I ever begin to pi**off your brother!:chair:

SARKY
02-23-2009, 01:35 AM
If you have the cash.... just invest in a Ruger 10-22, then get a folding stock for it and if you want to lighten it up even more get a carbon fiber barrel for it. The Ruger is inheritly more accurate than the Henery. And you can get 50 round mags for it as well.

RichNH
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
So why don't you list it for sale? I bet somebody here would like to buy it.

I never thought of that. I tend to be a black hole when it comes to guns. I've thought of that in the past, just never really pursued it. I'll check this site and try to figure out the rules for such a transaction.

Rich

PS I see that the forum rules prohibit commercial transactions (rule 5), oh well.... Nevermind.

Aurelius95
02-24-2009, 07:30 AM
I never thought of that. I tend to be a black hole when it comes to guns. I've thought of that in the past, just never really pursued it. I'll check this site and try to figure out the rules for such a transaction.

Rich

PS I see that the forum rules prohibit commercial transactions (rule 5), oh well.... Nevermind.

I think if you said something like, I have a rifle I don't need/want. PM me if you're interested, should work. Although, I could be wrong.

crashdive123
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Rich - keep in mind that you have already told us that it isn't accurate and the sights aren't that good.

Now I'm always the kind of guy that appreciates a bargain, but if you want to fetch a reasonable price for it.....you may need to work on your marketing skills a bit.;)

Leighman
02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
If yours is an "older model" it is probably a Charter Arms as they (and Armalite, I think) were the first companies to design/market it.

While the concept had merit, the actual materials and manufacturing were sometimes marginal at best. The weakest link (as in any auto-loader) was the cheaply made magazine. Some would work, others were jam-o-matics.

The one I had as a kid (mid 1970's) was made by Charter Arms and instead of a black stock, it sported this "swirly" kind of strange OD/brown finish. the peep rear was primitive and mine had a tendency to msteriously eject the bolt handle while shooting it. POS? Pretty much.

Also, due to the stock's design, a lefty may have more trouble getting a good cheek weld/sight picture as the hollow buttstock is VERY, VERY wide.

Sourdough
05-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Just exactly what I DON"T want in a firearm.......it has it's "Nose stuck up it's BUTT"......... Plus it is BIG and klunky, kind of reminds me of my Ex-Wife.....:innocent:

Sourdough
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
gotta' be causing it to hang up somewhere.

Might be that roll of $$$$$One Hundred Dollar Bills, that would choke a horse that someone stuck in there for survival........:innocent::innocent::innocent:

Sourdough
05-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll be digging the thing out to play with it soon...

This should go under Remy's thread of great member Quotes........:innocent::innocent::innocent:

Pal334
05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Just thought I would add this site as an FYI: http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

klkak
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
This one could be moved to the "Guns and Ammo" page.

Obsidian
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
If you would like a light weight take down repeating .22 rifle. I highly recommend the Taurus M-62c SS carbine. I own one and it is a good little rifle that cost under $200 new.

I believe these may be discontinued. Check the Taurus site.

How about a Marlin 790PSS? Weighs a little more, but is also takedown. It weighs and costs more than the Henry, but is basically the same as the famous Marlin 60, only with a clip magazine instead of a tube. I have a Marlin 795 which is the same gun but doesn't take down. Great rifle.

Mischief
06-01-2009, 06:01 PM
The Tarus M-62 hands down,no contest only problem I ever had was with some cheap bulk ammo. If ammo price is a consideration go with a bolt action 22.

Still would go with the Tarus M-62

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I have been eyeing the Henry catalog for many months. Anyone had any of the leveractions?

Rick
06-01-2009, 07:40 PM
The 63 and 62 rifles and carbines have been discontinued.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=22L

oldsoldier
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I've got 2 of them one black one cammo. It's a pretty accurate weapon. the "peep" sights are a little hard to get use to but when you do they're nice. The only problem i have is the "cap" that goes over the butt is hard to get on and off but It has to be tight to keep it on and water tight. ( I dropped one of mine in the water and they do float). I recommend you get one I think you'll like it. FYI they do have a dove tail to put a scope on if you want but it won't fit in the stock with one on.

soonerpride09
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I've got one for my survival kit I put together and it's just what I needed for a backpack,its lightweight,its simple in the way it works and is easy to clean,accurate up to about 50 yards once you get use to the peep site.

Ken
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey, Sooner! How about shooting you way over to our Introductions Section and telling us a bit about yourself? http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

patriot
06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
I bought one today. I was wondering how often do they jam. and what bullets do yall recomend

Rick
06-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Patriot - Why don't you shoot over to the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself? It's the link Ken posted directly above your post.

crashdive123
06-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I bought one today. I was wondering how often do they jam. and what bullets do yall recomend

Do you think that those might have been good questions to answer before you bought it?

oldsoldier
06-20-2009, 10:21 PM
patriot as I said earlier in post I own 2 of them. If you clean it regularly you shouldn't have a jamming issue. As far as ammo any GOOD QUALITY .22 should be okay. I use winchester superX for all of my .22's but that's my personal preferance.

Leighman
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Two weak links, sheet-metal cheap-o mags (at least my Charter Arms was) and not that "left-hand" friendly. Not my last pick for a survival rifle but certainly not not my first.

canid
12-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Two weak links, sheet-metal cheap-o mags (at least my Charter Arms was) and not that "left-hand" friendly. Not my last pick for a survival rifle but certainly not not my first.

that's about how i feel about them as well.

they aren't bad, and any rifle with a straight barrel can be improved, but my only beef with it is that it's got a stock butt like two bricks taped together.