PDA

View Full Version : Things I never really thought about.

doug1980
02-18-2009, 07:16 PM
So this whole "Survival" thing is still kinda new to me, however I have at least been more mindful about things. I have accumulated gear and even had a chance to use some of it this past weekend. I have kits for hiking, off roading, and the house. I have stocked up on food, water, etc..... I have learned quite a bit here and in reading for myself. Most of this stuff I have noticed is common sense stuff. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do any of it. But one thing I never really planned for or thought of was a very basic thing. I have moved around all my life and never really noticed it until I came to Alaska, and that is a "mental ability to acclimate" Before moving I did what most would do, research. I looked online, asked those who lived here before, etc... Even after having a fairly good idea what to expect, I was not prepared at all. I was not prepared for the long winter, all the snow, the hours and hours of darkness, and so on. It has been very challenging to get used to not only the weather but the location. Me being from a small town for so long it was hard to adjust to city life. It just amazed me how much a simple move could affect me expecially since I have moved so many times before. It may not be the "survival" that we talk about here or that we plan for but it is "survival" Having the mindset to be able to adjust, modify and/or overcome any situation you may encounter is one of the most important survival tools one can posses. IMO any way.

Nativedude
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Doug1980 wrote:". . . never really noticed it until I came to Alaska, and that is a "mental ability to acclimate" Before moving I did what most would do, research. I looked online, asked those who lived here before, etc... Even after having a fairly good idea what to expect, I was not prepared at all. I was not prepared for the long winter, all the snow, the hours and hours of darkness, and so on. It has been very challenging to get used to not only the weather but the location. Me being from a small town for so long it was hard to adjust to city life. It just amazed me how much a simple move could affect me especially since I have moved so many times before. It may not be the "survival" that we talk about here or that we plan for but it is "survival" Having the mindset to be able to adjust, modify and/or overcome any situation you may encounter is one of the most important survival tools one can posses. IMO any way.

Yes Doug, it is a whole lot different than living in the lower 48.

I spent 4 years traveling back and forth to AK before moving there. I was acclimating to the difference in the AK environment versus where I lived at the time. Each time I went to AK I stayed longer and longer, and went at different times of the year to "get a feel" for life in the bush. After moving here it only took me about 6 months to get completely acclimated to life in the bush.

Now when I go back to the lower 48 it is so much different than at "home" (AK), I don't like being in the lower 48 anymore, but do travel back to see family.

Alaska, Yukon Territory, New Foundland, are all a world all unto themselves. It does take a different kind of mindset to live there, but I wouldn't trade it for all the $$$ in the world!! :D

Beans
02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
My Wife and I were at a Cowboy Poetry event the other night. When the fire alarm sounded. I placed my hand on my wife's arm and we exited the building in a fast but orderly manner.

We stopped about 50 yards from the bulding and watched the other people come out in a fast but orderly manner. There were no pushing, shoving yelling Etc.

When it was determined by the local fire department at it was a false alarm. we went back inside.

Reality smacked me in the face.

When I saw several people in wheel chairs being brought back into the building, I realized that I had only thought about getting my wife out of there.

I had watched the wheelchair bound people being pushed into the Auditorium before the show began, I knew they were there.

This event has given me another look on how I acted/would act. and I wasn't pleased.

tipacanoe
02-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Beans....
That was the best thing I have read on this forum to date. My son was born with a birth defect of his left leg, and has a prosthetic below the knee, and I would bet a paycheck right now that I would have done just as you did. Thanks for making me think..

Bob

Pal334
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Doug: I think you hit it on the head, mental flexibility is probably something that is important in all aspects of life. And certainly important in an emergent situation, being willing to discard some preconcieved notions and adapting to current environment (s) can greatly increase your chances of having a good outcome.

Beans: "This event has given me another look on how I acted/would act. and I wasn't pleased" Don't I wish I had a penny for everytime I had that thought.

wareagle69
02-18-2009, 10:29 PM
doug-sometimes being prepared just isn't enough- you can read, watch videos, talk to folks who have lived what you want to do but there is no replacing actually experience and you just never know how you will react.
which brings me to beans
ya sometimes don't think sometimes your body just reacts to how it has been trained, we are like pavlovs dogs, hear a fire alarm and calmly exit the building, only if you have retrained your mind can you look at it differently.
i to have been in a situation and not reacted like i would have liked to react and tell myself later not good cowboy but live learn, and put that into action