PDA

View Full Version : Modified 12 inch Ontario Machete vs cedar

Pict
02-17-2009, 10:24 AM
The other day I used my Modified 12 inch Ontario machete to harvest a large piece of Cedar for several projects I have in mind. Normally this would be done with a saw and an axe but since I own neither (here in the US) I used the machete. In my opinion the machete will never replace the axe, hatchet, or saw in the northern forest but it can be pressed into service and get the job done. I don't say anything in this video because there really isn't anything to say. I just shut up and cut. The video demonstrates chopping, splitting (w/ baton), and shaping using the scandi grind at the base of the blade.

12 INCH ONTARIO MACHETE vs CEDAR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcN3ODAmUN0)

Mac

chiye tanka
02-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Great video Pict. How long did all that take in real time and how did you modify the machete?

Pict
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Long enough to give me a sore arm. I'd have to go back and check the time on the unedited clips to give you an idea. I put portions into double double time if that helps.

The modifications are outlined in my other machete video...

MACHETE MODIFICATIONS FOR THE BUSH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHeKNbRXgc&feature=channel_page)

I put a scandi edge down near the handle, convex the forward chopping portion, square of the rear of the spine, and round the forward spine. This gives me a variety of edges to work with for cutting, shaping, scraping, and smashing. Mac

crashdive123
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
As always, an interesting video. Sure wish I could hit the fast forward button to chop wood.

chiye tanka
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info Pict. Another great video.

klkak
02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Long enough to give me a sore arm. I'd have to go back and check the time on the unedited clips to give you an idea. I put portions into double double time if that helps. Mac

Double double time! I was beginning to think you were the fastest chopper in the world or had a "bionic" arm.:D

Canadian-guerilla
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
MACHETE MODIFICATIONS FOR THE BUSH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHeKNbRXgc&feature=channel_page)

I put a scandi edge down near the handle, convex the forward chopping portion, square of the rear of the spine, and round the forward spine. This gives me a variety of edges to work with for cutting, shaping, scraping, and smashing. Mac

i've always thought of my machette as a " hacking " tool
but seeing you slice that piece of paper has changed my mind
i guess a machette can be used for more refined cutting

Pict
02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
i've always thought of my machette as a " hacking " tool
but seeing you slice that piece of paper has changed my mind
i guess a machette can be used for more refined cutting

I modify the edge to be a solid convex up front that gives better chopping power and resists sticking. The lower portion of the blade near the handle is a super sharp scandi grind that will rarely if ever see any impact so it stays sharp.

Mac

vthompson
02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Good video Pict. I enjoyed watching it.

Shaggs
02-18-2009, 03:12 PM
FYI:

In case anyone isn't familiar with knife edges here's something I googled.

http://backyardbushman.com/?page_id=13

WoodsWalker
02-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Pict,
You definitly have got the experience with machetes! I have a 12" similar to your ontario without the mods and a 12" Meyerco with a "D" type hand guard. The Meyerco is about 1/4" thick and makes for a great chopper in the North Woods. The lightweight one is nice for clearing light brush but for around camp the heavier blade covers more chores.

crashdive123
02-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Nice link Shaggs - thanks.

Pict
02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Machetes are like golf clubs, you have to pick the right one for the job. The one I use most in Brazil for bushcraft is the 16 inch Tramontina. It gives enough reach and chopping power and it is the maximum length I will tolerate on a belt.

For clearing land of grasses, weeds and light brush I use an 18 or a 20 inch and these get no special treatment because the work beats them up too bad. File sharp is good to go.

If I'm going to go up into higher elevations the length is not necessary as the machete will be used mainly for clearing/leveling ground when making rock shelters. I carry a 12 inch Tramontina up there to cut down on weight.

Cutting power is a trade off between length and weight and correct edge geometry will significantly improve performance. I'm sold on the convex grind for chopping, it holds up well and doesn't bind.

For chopping hardwoods you want a heavy, forward weighted blade. The machete needs to act like a hatchet. That's why I like the 12 inch Ontario for North America it is a very versatile blade for the kind of jobs I have to do up here. I almost never carry it in Brazil. The 18 inch Ontario is the same blade, just longer and it will really act like an axe but it is also long and heavy. Swinging a heavy machete like that in grasses and light brush will wear you out in no time.

The 14 inch Tramontina Bolo is a great general purpose blade. It has a fantastic weight to length ratio and a well designed handle. I wish Tramontina would scrap the smallish rounded handle and go to this one for all their Latin Pattern machetes.

I get a kick out of the massively huge machetes that seem to sell so well in the US. I routinely see 22 inch broadswords up here. They tend to go from the tool shed to the truck, do a cutting job and then get propped up somewhere. Carrying such a tool in the bush is a real pain, IMO they are too specialized for bushcraft use. They are great at their primary task but pretty much useless for anything else. Mac

Aurelius95
02-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Great information, Mac. I enjoyed watching those videos and learning more about the machete.