PDA

View Full Version : squirrel behavior

wareagle69
02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
any of you snow folks ever notice the behavior of theses fellas in the winter? i have noticed that they tunnel under the snow and pop up just like prarie dogs then disappear. this is new for me to observe as i am used to them being tree dwellers but a great way to avoid predators from above

vthompson
02-15-2009, 07:13 PM
The woods are right behind my house and my wife and I sit and watch them all the time, especially of the mornings. Every now and then you can watch a hawk try to get involved but I have never seen one catch a squirrel yet.

RunsWithDeer
02-15-2009, 07:31 PM
The squirrels we have here are fox squirrels, have never seen one tunnel in the snow, they seem to just jump across the snow.

SARKY
02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
There are both grays and reds in Maine and i've seen both species do this when there is little or no cover in the trees.

Durlaburban
02-15-2009, 07:49 PM
they tunnel for water. ive come across these tunnels alot on nature walks. the squirel digs a hole and heads in just a little (usually where theres ice beneath the snow) and sits while his body heat melts snow. then he drinks the meltwater from the surface of he ice/ground. squirrels are smart and may use theses tunnels to hide also but ive discovered there never anyting over a foot in length or so. But they use these tunnels over and over for a while so if you set a small snare at the entrance you can catch em.

LowKey
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
The reds in my backyard have long tunnels that go from the woods to the birdfeeder. Some of them 10' plus.
Like WarEagle mentioned, I'm sure it's to avoid predators. We have a harrier that sits and watches them as they play whack-a-mole popping in and out of holes - but he only goes for the mourning doves.

Durlaburban
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
thats a red. all i got is grays around here. and no hawks for the most part so im thinking squirells dig for whatever there need is at that time. to avoid preds or to get snowmelt.

Riverrat
02-15-2009, 09:21 PM
We have a few red squirrels here and they have tunnels running everywhere under the snow. they go from the heavy woods, to the bird feeder, back down to the brook, under the trailers. It is quite funny watching then. They can be very destructive though, I have seen them chew the leather off snowshoes, wires from under hoods of the vehicles, and watch out if you get one in your house...have seen them chew electrical wiring and cause a fire.

Durlaburban
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Had a red squirrel in my roof one summer and i decided the best way to dispatch it was with my 22. i put four holes in the floor,ruined the dishwasher, and cracked our old tub. finally i put out a have a heart trap. once i got the lil bugger i took him outback with my 20 ga and blasted him to kingdom come. what a day that was.

crashdive123
02-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Had a red squirrel in my roof one summer and i decided the best way to dispatch it was with my 22. i put four holes in the floor,ruined the dishwasher, and cracked our old tub. finally i put out a have a heart trap. once i got the lil bugger i took him outback with my 20 ga and blasted him to kingdom come. what a day that was.

Might I suggest spending a bit more time at the range and practicing.

Ken
02-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I have about a dozen gray squirrels living nearby; six live in my oak trees. About 7:00 every morning, there they are, right outside my kitchen window. Yep. There's Clarence, Jasper, George, Rufus, Flloyd, Charlie, Wilbur, Sam, Gus, Spike, Clyde, and Fred. I feed them everyday. Peanuts. About 2 lbs. a day. They come when I call them (although not by name). Love those little critters. Even my beagles are used to them now.

YOU DID WHAT????:mad:

Durlaburban
02-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Might I suggest spending a bit more time at the range and practicing.

I was IN my house chasing a red squirrel. i didnt have time to aim i just shot! if he would of been outside hed been headless after the first shot.

crashdive123
02-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I was IN my house chasing a red squirrel. i didnt have time to aim i just shot! if he would of been outside hed been headless after the first shot.

OK, I can now clearly see what the problem was.

nell67
02-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Please tell me that you and the squirrel were the only ones IN the house at the time!

Pal334
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Am I the only one looking for a place to hide?

crashdive123
02-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Am I the only one looking for a place to hide?

Nope. As I said in my previous post about being able to see what the problem was....IMO irresponsible use of a weapon.

Alpine_Sapper
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Which one?

The random firing of small caliber rifle rounds through a domicile,

or

The point-blank execution of an animal trapped in a live capture trap, with a shotgun?

And I thought I was mentally twisted...

woodlander1314
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Before I moved I had two giant chestnut trees in the backyard. Those squirells left quite a mess of shells everywhere, got sick of steppin on them. These squirells also liked to bark at me a lot. So one morning I put on my ghillie suit, grabbed the bb gun and waited. Shot one in the eye, they didn't seem as bothersome after that.

Ken
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I think I'm going to put up one of those hummingbird feeders. The kind that holds about a pint of nectar. I think those birds have been stealing the peanuts I put out for my squirrels.

Hummingbirds. Yep. Small birds. Move very fast. Almost disappear. Great targets. A real challenge using a Beretta Minx .22 cal. short. But, to be on the safe side, I'll keep my Mossberg 12 gauge real close. Just in case. I'm sure the neighbors won't mind.

Beans
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM

WOW!!!! I'm just awed

Durlaburban
02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I told you guys im crazy. none beleives me though. and point blank... aww who cares its allright. plus dont you have to be crazy to do what i do anway? i mean leather tanning?