PDA

View Full Version : this years focus on plants will be

wareagle69
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
the carrot/parsley family(umbelliferae)
to include
wild carrot,goutweed,poison hemlock,spotted water hemlock, water parsnip,wild parsnip,angelica,and last but not least giant hogweed.

the first trick is even finding these family members to study them, but hope to have mastered them by the next time the snow falls in the winter, i will keep you posted as to my findings.

Fletcher
02-14-2009, 12:05 PM
the carrot/parsley family(umbelliferae)
to include
wild carrot,goutweed,poison hemlock,spotted water hemlock, water parsnip,wild parsnip,angelica,and last but not least giant hogweed.

the first trick is even finding these family members to study them, but hope to have mastered them by the next time the snow falls in the winter, i will keep you posted as to my findings.

If you stop posting while studying poison hemlock.......well we"ll know
not to study poison hemlock too closely. Right?
Good luck keep us posted.

RunsWithDeer
02-14-2009, 02:25 PM
With spring just around the corner, I can't wait to be able to collect some fiddleheads.

wareagle69
02-14-2009, 03:40 PM
well flecther i try to focus more on deadly plants that not, if i ingrain the spotted water hemlock and poison hemlock into my mind then it will be easier to harvest the rest i try to learn the deadlies in any plant family, if you know which family the plant you are looking at comes from and know the non edible ones then you will know which to harvest and which to not, now i do not advocate anyone harvesting a plant in which they have not 100 percent identified, but in my situation and the way i study by learning plant families then if i know the bad ones i can harvest ones that i know are from that family but maybe have not 100 percent identified but am absolute about the family from which it comes, but that is how i learn, not for everyone

Rick
02-14-2009, 06:18 PM
As for the focus on plants.

Lettuce, spinach and radish seeds went on the ground today. All I need now is some warm ground and sunshine and I'll be eating salads!

vthompson
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I plan on getting into edible wild plants this spring also. I already know some but there is a lot more to learn. My grandparents were great at that and I wish that I had paid better attention to them. While they were gathering plants, I was busy looking for ginseng and yellowroot.

Fletcher
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
well flecther i try to focus more on deadly plants that not, if i ingrain the spotted water hemlock and poison hemlock into my mind then it will be easier to harvest the rest i try to learn the deadlies in any plant family, if you know which family the plant you are looking at comes from and know the non edible ones then you will know which to harvest and which to not, now i do not advocate anyone harvesting a plant in which they have not 100 percent identified, but in my situation and the way i study by learning plant families then if i know the bad ones i can harvest ones that i know are from that family but maybe have not 100 percent identified but am absolute about the family from which it comes, but that is how i learn, not for everyone

Wareagle, My comments were meant to be funny not a negatvie against
you. I trust your judgment i read your posts and i also respect you.
If i were lost in your AO i would probably be sceaming WAREAGLE!!! WAREAGLE!!!! SAVE ME

wareagle69
02-14-2009, 08:29 PM
wait a minute now i'm confused you read my posts AND you respect me hmm thats a new one, maybe you should talk to remy to help resolve your issues:eek::D