PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit snaring

klkak
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I going out to set some rabbit snares. I'll leave them over night then check them in the morning. I'll take my camera and get a couple of pictures to share.

Fletcher
02-13-2009, 08:03 PM
QUIET!!!! He's wabbit hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
02-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Klkak speaking softly: "Behind me is the notorious big brown rabbit. I've set a snare between the two of us so I'm not too concerned for my own safety. But if that snare failed, I'd be in a world of hurt. Let's see if he takes the bait."

http://www.eidersuso.com/share/grizzlyman.jpg

doren
02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
That's just wrong, funny, but wrong.

Rick
02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Would this be better?

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/B/born_survivor/images/sn_series_3.jpg

Notice the cane? This is too easy.

flandersander
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I love snaring. What kind of snares you using?

klkak
02-14-2009, 02:30 AM
I use simple loop snares hung in a run. The pics are of one of the sets I made this afternoon.

klkak
02-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Would this be better?

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/B/born_survivor/images/sn_series_3.jpg

Notice the cane? This is too easy.

That looks like Bear and one of his "farmer" provided rabbits.:eek:

Rick
02-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Uh, yep. What's all that white stuff on the ground? Birds are singing and the grass is turning green around here.

klkak
02-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Uh, yep. What's all that white stuff on the ground? Birds are singing and the grass is turning green around here.

:cool: umm.........snow, Duh! The snow showed up back in October and it ain't left yet.

skunkkiller
02-14-2009, 04:30 PM
just got 3"s last night good for finding rabbit runs .

wareagle69
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM
boy that just didn't sound right
reminds me of the michigan news anchor a blonde by chance truned to the weatherman one evening on the news and asked "so bob wheres the 8 inches you promised me last night" of course she was referring to snow but all the staff were laughing so hard they had 5 minutes of commercials, wish i could have seen that live

klkak
02-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Grandson and I went and checked the snares this afternoon. We had one snow shoe. I told him to fallow my tracks and find the snares I had made the day before. It took him a bit but he figured it out. We also got a spruce hen and a red squirrel with a .22lr.

After we had been out for awhile the little guy who is 6 yrs old started saying he was cold so we stopped and I told him it was up to him to get a fire going. He went over to a birch tree and pulled off a huge pile of bark. Then he gathered up a big pile of dead spruce and birch limbs. I watched as he started breaking up the limbs and placing them into piles by size. After he was done he stood up and look around for a bit. I asked him what he was looking for and he said something to put on the snow to build the fire on. He found a big piece of cotton wood bark laid it down the crumbled up the birch bark on it. Then placed a pile of the smallest twigs next to the birch bark. Then he looked at me and asked for what he calls my "sparker". So I handed him my ferro rod and striker. Two tries and he landed sparks on the birch bark and had a fire going. I then took the lid off my water bottle and placed it against the fire to warm up so we could have a warm drink of water.

It was an awesome day. :D

nell67
02-15-2009, 07:59 AM
THats a great story klkak! Thanks for sharing:)

crashdive123
02-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Yep - sounds like a day you will both remember for a lifetime.

klkak
02-15-2009, 10:23 PM
The grandson does not have school tomorrow so he is coming out tonight to spend the night with us. We will go check the snare line in the morning. Should be an interesting day.

klkak
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Well we went out and checked the snare line yesterday. Came back empty handed. We even chased a couple squirrels but he couldn't get a shot at one. Now I know how my grandfather must have felt when he and I were wondering in the woods.:D

crashdive123
02-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Now I know how my grandfather must have felt when he and I were wondering in the woods. I'll bet he enjoyed spending time with his grandson in the woods as much as you did.

klkak
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I'll bet he enjoyed spending time with his grandson in the woods as much as you did.

I remember grandpa was always pointing things out to me. I found myself doing the same thing with my grandson and he was interested. He is really into the squirrel chasing. I swear he can here them a quarter mile away.

WoodsWalker
02-19-2009, 08:28 AM
If you keep catching them snowshoes take 'em off before checking the snares LOL!!!

Fletcher
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Woodswalker-------------------Thats funny!!!!!

Durlaburban
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
lol your cracked

klkak
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Because both the grandson and I have colds I decided to go out and close all the rabbit snare loops until we are feeling better. We only had six snares set. In the third set we had a nice snowshoe. I had my cam with me so I took a pic to share with you and to show Cross my grandson when he gets home from school.

swampmouse
02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Sorry about the illness, get to feeling better. I laughed at this post and the many threads so much that I am looking forwards to yall getting better. Sorta living through this. LOL! I tried snares one time, got lost in the woods, came home from the next county. ;>

laughing beetle
02-20-2009, 12:35 AM
That aint lost, that's just exploring! :D

laughing beetle
02-20-2009, 12:51 AM
I say exploring because on occasion I have gotten a bit mixed up directionally while tromping through the woods. I have found that one of the best survival skills is to keep my head, as in DON'T PANIC!! So, I am not lost, I am just exploring! And I will know where I was once I get to where I am going. :D:D

crashdive123
02-20-2009, 07:46 AM
...and as Buckaroo Banzai would sat "No matter where you go, there you are".

laughingbeetle
02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Oh wow... now I do feel old. Buckeroo Banzai?? I forgot all about that!!

klkak
02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
...and as Buckaroo Banzai would sat "No matter where you go, there you are".

Buckaroo Banzai! Is that some kind of "WWII Japanese Cowboy Kamikaze Zero Pilot"?

crashdive123
02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
One of those movies that you watch at sea because you have seen all of the other movies six times already. A bit of a cult classic.
From Wiki: Buckaroo Banzai is the lead character, played by Peter Weller, of the eponymous 1984 cult film, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. A renaissance man, the character is a top neurosurgeon, particle physicist, race car driver, rock star and comic book hero, and probably the last hope of the human race. In the film, his latest experiments open the door to the 8th dimension and unwittingly start an interplanetary battle for the world.

klkak
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
My description wasn't far off the mark.