PDA

View Full Version : Dessicant Packets?

marylp
02-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey Guys!! So, I am looking to find some of those dessicant packets to put into my totes were I am keeping my stuff. Also thinking about putting them randomly in my cabinets where my canned food is. I tried Micheals and Walmart. No luck, I was thinking if I can find it loose, I can make packets with coffee filters. I would really like the packets, but I cant pay to much. Any Ideas?? My house is made completely out of cinder block, we have alot of moisture around this season. Thanks Guys! Mary

old soldier
02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I heard that CVS or most drug stores have them.
for regular uses around the house, you can take sheet rock, cut it in the size pieces you want put it in the oven on low for a couple hrs and make your oun.

marylp
02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Does that really work? Is that the stuff that looks like chaulk between to pieces of cardboard?

crashdive123
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Mary - the stuff that looks like calk is called gypsum. Not too sure how well it would work, but if somebody has tried it and says it does, I will defer to them. That is not the normal material for the absorbers. Rick posted a thread with a good idea on where to get some (free) and how to recondition it. The reconditioning works well - did it on the submarine a lot. Here's the thread http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5762

marylp
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi Crash! You are my hero!! always check on me! You give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. (Rick, you better not make fun!) Anyway, I will keep looking. Looking forward to see how others handlehumidity in the house. I have heard that Damp-rid does not work. Dehumidifiers are expensive to buy and run.

crashdive123
02-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I've used Damp-rid. It does work, but gets kind of spendy. It is good for spaces like closets and such, but would be horrible for things like a gun safe. The little pellets in the cup absorb the moisture and in about a month you have a cup of liquid (hence the spendy part) that you change out. I've suggested it for some of my customers in manufactured homes that had moistre issues. (Step 1 was to address the cause and step 2 was to remove the moisture)