PDA

View Full Version : First Aid

vthompson
02-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I think one of the most important things that you need to know whenever you are camping, backpacking, etc. is first aid. You can usually find classes at a Red Cross near you. I know that the one close to me usually offers a 3 or 4 night class lasting around 3 hours. They teach you CPR, wound dressing, how to make splints, etc.
The classes usually go by fast because of the hands on training you get. I think that giving up approximately 12 hours of your time is not to much to ask. Especially when you are somewhere that medical help is not available.

Sarge47
02-10-2009, 12:11 AM
I firmly believe that 1st Aid should be the very 1st thing taught to a student of survival. Just about every survival situation I've read shows that there are "dying & injured" needing to be taken care of. That's the 1st thing that needs to be done...hence the name: FIRST Aid!:cool:

jrock24
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree, and thats why I have my certifications in first aid, cpr, aed, etc..

RunsWithDeer
02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree, I need to retake some first aid training, been over 20 years since I took them. I am sure there are things I have forgotten and new things to learn.

MatthewnOK
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Just a quick question. Are there age limits on the courses? Example since i'm fourteen could i take one? Thanks
Matthew

crashdive123
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Check with your local fire department. Most offer classes - they could tell you if there were any restrictions.

SARKY
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
That is why I don't teach first-aid, instead I send my students to a RedCross course!

nell67
02-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Some high schools have it as part of an advanced health class,thats where I took it the first time.

rockymtnchief
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Luckily, my company pays for us to take first aid and cpr training once a year. Then every other year we have blood pathogen training, pole top rescue, and get to repel out of our bucket trucks.

They also make sure we have plenty of first aid kits. I have 7 at my disposal.

Dennis K.
02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
First aid?

heh.

Real Men tough it out.

Smart Real Men don't get hurt in the first place.

If you missed the sarchasm.....
(yes, it's spelled correctly)
"Sar-Chasm" the vast void between your intellect and mine....
:)

Tony uk
02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
The first first aid qualification i got was Heart Start, which i applyed for at my local GP's

Ive always been interested in first aid and have recently sarted looking into a live saver plus qualification by the St Johns ambulance service.

alphaboy32
02-25-2009, 01:20 PM
here you can findBasic First Aid (http://www.5min.com/Category/Health/First_Aid)videos

klkak
02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I do my medical training through the National Outdoors Leadership School (NOLS). NOLS has a division called the "Wilderness Medical Institute" which offers everything from the most basic CPR to advanced classes for Practitioners and Physicians. I'll post their website.
http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

crashdive123
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
here you can findBasic First Aid (http://www.5min.com/Category/Health/First_Aid)videos

Nice link. You can also find the Introduction Section (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14) here. How about heading on over and telling us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Riverrat
02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I do my first aid training with St. John Ambulance...I also instruct for them, or at least did, have taken a break while getting life back in order, but now time to get back into instructing again.

woodsman86
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Just a quick question. Are there age limits on the courses? Example since i'm fourteen could i take one? Thanks
Matthew

I was 14 when I went through life guard training in NY, which included CPR. I would think your local Red Cross or YMCA would have classes for young adults. Might also check the local community college for classes.

swampmouse
02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Surprisingly, first aid and cpr look good on a resume. I took it through my local Vo-Tech.