PDA

View Full Version : Inventory of my supplies

mcfd45
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
So I am seeking advice on what other supplies I need for my kit. First let me say I am using this kit to prepare for a brief interuption in everyday life. Examples would include a power outage like 2003 (unsure of year) a riot. a pandemic etc. So it is not a end of the world setup but just to get me by. Here goes

50ish boxes of various pasta (i love pasta) easy to make and high in carbs.
25 glass bottles of various sauces (alfredo, marinara, spaghetti, cheese)
30ish cans of veggies (corn, green beans, peas, mixed veggies)
40 packets of instant oatmeal (also easy to make and high in carbs)
20ish cans of easy meals (spaghettios, chef boyardi, mac and cheese)
9mres (all the good ones)
5 cases of water
gatorade mix to rid water of bleach/iodine flavor

1 red cross blanket "obtained" during a hurricane deployment"
box of 100 garbage bags (probably down to 75 by now)
1 box of detergent
2 bottles of bleach unscented ( water purification , sanitation)
my marlin 60 .22 with about 1000 rounds
cleaning kit for above rifle (spare parts as well
survival books (sas, urban gardening)
550 cord (about 70 feet nowhere near enough)
tackle bag and fishing poles
my survival bottle (see what did you do this week thread)
snare wire
coleman mini led lantern takes AA batteries
20 AA batteries
coleman propane lantern with extra mantles and a few propane canisters
box of surefire batteries for G2 led
matches
a few bic lighters
trioxane tabs
esbit stove
a dozen light sticks
a few 100 hour candle lanterns
my jumbo first aid kit
assorted medications OTC and other
toiletry kit
sleeping bag
heavy jacket
fire extinguisher

soon to come is
a coleman dual fuel stove
2 tins of fuel for above stove
I would like to add some 5 gallon buckets with lids
a water filter of some sort (katadyn, msr)
a pistol (xd9mm)
a tent
an emergency radio

any input would be greatly appreaciated.
Jeff

crashdive123
02-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Mcfd45 - I haven't looked too closely at your list yet, but just a quck glance at the food list you may want to add a bit more protein. Things like tuna, canned meat, freeze dried stuff. I know you have the MRE's, and some canned stuff. few days to a week you should be just fine. The only reason I bring it up is that with 50 boxes of pasta it looks like you're planning for something longer.

mcfd45
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I use those alot during the week. I just found a great deal and had to stock up. agreed that i do need some more protien. thanks for the help, keep it coming.

wildWoman
02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
What about flour for making bread?
We live entirely off our supplies for about 8 months of the year, here's some tips on making sure you have all you need to get by:

-don't stock anything you don't normally enjoy eating, chances are you won't like it any better when you have no choice

-make sure to have a large variety of stuff. When you live off your supplies for a long time, nothing is worse than having the choice of only 3 types of canned veggies or always rice and pasta. It's one of those little things that'll make you go up the walls.

-stock enough treats and junk food to tide you through food cravings

-have planters inside the house to grow fresh greens in the winter - you'll be craving fresh fruit and veggies

-to figure out how much to stock of which food item, either weigh every item for every meal that you eat for a month, then multiply by the amount of months you want to stock food for and add 10% extra to be on the safe side. Or keep all your grocery receipts over a three-month period and extrapolate from there (three months because there's lots of items you don't buy regularly but still need).

-don't forget about the small stuff like spices, bottled sauces, baking poweder, yeast etc

-and if you expect to not depend on any stores for a while, remember to get enough toilet paper, toothpaste, dishsoap, medicines etc etc

-for serious preparedness or depending long-term on your supplies, it pays to have two of all vital items (power and light sources, communication, tools)

-also for long-term dependency, to keep yourself happy, entertained and the brain busy: boardgames, reference books and good novels are invaluable

crashdive123
02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Is your plan to stay, or go, or variable depending on the situation?

VampireRanger676
02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
uh may want to upgrade from a .22

mcfd45
02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I plan to stay. I live a block from a massive river. I know my area pretty good and I am confident I could find game, water, etc. my apartment is half below ground so I have good defense and insulation from the elements.
I also do not know how to cook with flour. I don't think it would be a wise investment to spend money on something I don't know how to use. I plan on soon learning how to cook with flour and other grains. I do have a wide assortment of veggies. Every week I decide what I want to add to my supplies.
I also was thinking of getting some walkie talkies and enough batteries to run them for a while. thanks for the advice.
Jeff

crashdive123
02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Here's a thought - take a cooking class at a local community college or someplace in order to increase your knowledge and give you a bit more peace of mind.

welderguy
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I also was thinking of getting some walkie talkies and enough batteries to run them for a while.
Jeff

I don't see walkie talkies doing any good unless someone else is on that same freq, unless your referring to communication with someone in your group, otherwise maybe a handheld CB would work better for you, just my thought.

Stairman
02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
uh may want to upgrade from a .22I think a 22 would suffice for food and protection,in the long gun version of course.

PNW
02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
At the least a can of shortening, a bottle of oil, and a couple of cast iron pans and a tea kettle. Coffee and tea will be really worth it.
You didn't say if you planned to bug out with all this, but what it takes to 'live' a day, at home now, will be what you need.

old soldier
02-08-2009, 05:56 AM
maybe a few hundred pounds of dry beans, rice,lentils,split peas,oils, lard, flour,sugar,salt, bouillon cubes, water, tomatoe sauce,spam,seasonings, spices.
you're prepared for a weekend camping trip, but not for a SHTF situation.

tipacanoe
02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=mcfd45;98331]I plan to stay. I live a block from a massive river. I know my area pretty good and I am confident I could find game, water, etc. my apartment is half below ground so I have good defense and insulation from the elements.

That river might be one of your problems, and higher might be better. A blown out river will be right where you live, and all the supplies will be worthless. Just my opinion.

mcfd45
02-08-2009, 11:37 AM
The river will likely never flood high enough to reach my area. 4 years ago the area flooded and the other rivers swept out roads and whatnot. The river I live next to raised one inch. not enough to cause a problem.

SARKY
02-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Triple you stash of .22 ammo, it is only going to go up in price and it is not likely to go bad. The chem lights are ok but just remember they have a shelf life, since you are already stocking AA bateries look into a "Krill" light. It is about the same size as a chem light stick and uses illuminesient paper to create light. You get the same green glow from this that you do with a chem light.
Crash is right about the protein stock up on the foil packaged tuna and salmon, the chicken is good too.
Are you planning on doing this alone? or do you have someone to shre the experience with?

crashdive123
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
.....and peanut butter.....lots of peanut butter.

mcfd45
02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I am unsure if I would have help or not with this. My best friend lives about 10 miles south of me. Her BF is making plans and they have a LOT of guns available to them. Perhaps I would pack my stuff up and go there, perhaps they would come here this is something I would like to talk about with them. We shall see what happens. This is the reason why I would like to get the radios (CB or family frequency) we could communicate. I do have a stash of peanut butter as well. I plan on adding some tuna and spam and a pistol of some sorts. Thanks to everybody for any advice they have offered.
Jeff

crashdive123
02-08-2009, 04:41 PM
We should all plan for emergencies that are most likely to occur in the areas that we live. It is difficult (probably impossible) to plan for every contingency. You originally said
Examples would include a power outage like 2003 (unsure of year) a riot. a pandemic etc. So it is not a end of the world setup but just to get me by. If that is what you deem to be your biggest threats, then you should plan accordingly. Power outages? --- power generation or things that will not require power in order for you to get through it. Pandemic? --- Not sure how big a threat that really is, but if it is something that you are concerned about - sealing the structure you are in, air filtration, clean supply of water and food. Riots? --- A good security plan.

Sam
02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
.....and peanut butter.....lots of peanut butter.

He is on his own right now but Kate and I are trying to helping him to find a miss
mcfd45. ;)

Beans
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I notice something missing right-a-way. There is no map to your house. :p

Alpine_Sapper
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
What about flour for making bread?
We live entirely off our supplies for about 8 months of the year, here's some tips on making sure you have all you need to get by:

-don't stock anything you don't normally enjoy eating, chances are you won't like it any better when you have no choice

-make sure to have a large variety of stuff. When you live off your supplies for a long time, nothing is worse than having the choice of only 3 types of canned veggies or always rice and pasta. It's one of those little things that'll make you go up the walls.

-stock enough treats and junk food to tide you through food cravings

-have planters inside the house to grow fresh greens in the winter - you'll be craving fresh fruit and veggies

-to figure out how much to stock of which food item, either weigh every item for every meal that you eat for a month, then multiply by the amount of months you want to stock food for and add 10% extra to be on the safe side. Or keep all your grocery receipts over a three-month period and extrapolate from there (three months because there's lots of items you don't buy regularly but still need).

-don't forget about the small stuff like spices, bottled sauces, baking poweder, yeast etc

-and if you expect to not depend on any stores for a while, remember to get enough toilet paper, toothpaste, dishsoap, medicines etc etc

-for serious preparedness or depending long-term on your supplies, it pays to have two of all vital items (power and light sources, communication, tools)

-also for long-term dependency, to keep yourself happy, entertained and the brain busy: boardgames, reference books and good novels are invaluable

Wonderful advice.

Madrox
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Id def up the ammo and add in beans. Good for protein and whatnot. I also add in stuff I pick up daily. I dont eat fast food often but when I do I ask for hand loads of salt, pepper, ketchup, etc and will add them to a container for use later.

good job stocking up!

Stony
02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
WAY too much stuff (temted to say junk).
as a city dweller, you only need about 7 days of supplies (ice storms, power outage..)
don't need a gun, keep some pepper spray for defense.
isn't there some kind of law against horting?
i remember reading some kind of blurb about it in a news paper.

crashdive123
02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
What's a hort???? Oh, just noticed who posted, nevermind.

mcfd45
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
WAY too much stuff (temted to say junk).
as a city dweller, you only need about 7 days of supplies (ice storms, power outage..)
don't need a gun, keep some pepper spray for defense.
isn't there some kind of law against horting?
i remember reading some kind of blurb about it in a news paper.

It is not to much stuff. I pick from it everyday and replace what I use. I rotate it through use.
The gun is a 22LR. I use this during hunting season to get rabbits and squirrels. When I lived with my folks I used this to keep varmints away.
Pepper spray hurts, OC spray hurts and you can never spray just the suspect/rapist/murderer/barney, you almost always end up sprayed as well.
No there is no law against "horting" There never has and hopefully never will be a law against purchasing goods and foods.
Newspapers are written by people, people are sometimes wrong, misunderstood, misqouted, and just plain stupid.
Jeff

crashdive123
02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Mcfd45 - pay no attention to him.....nobody else does.

WgS
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I also do not know how to cook with flour. I don't think it would be a wise investment to spend money on something I don't know how to use. I plan on soon learning how to cook with flour and other grains.
Jeff

If you opt out of the flour, yeast, baking powder route, you could consider stocking up on a ready-made such as Bisquick which is fairly versatile. In my younger years, we would mix up the dough, wrap it around a stick and cook it over the fire. - instant biscuit for your peanut butter. We considered powered milk a staple also.

crashdive123
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Ya gotta love Bisquick!

WgS
02-12-2009, 12:16 AM
If you're going to be fairly stationary, mason jars are darned handy too.

Machinegunmomma
02-12-2009, 05:05 AM
I have a website that I have been working with to help people become aware of food storage, come by and visit see if there is anything there you can take from it to help you out..
Also just keep in mind the water situation, cooking noodles requires alot of water and not only that but a lot of fule to heat to a boiling.. I'm kinda of the mindset that if I'm dipping into my food storage then taime are tough, so make it as easy on yourself as you can buy the noodles that are allready cooked in self bags. Otherwise dependig on the higth of the situation you may just end up with a bunch of uncook noodles that will go bad in about two years..

crashdive123
02-12-2009, 08:02 AM
MGM - one of the forum rules is that you can't post a link to your own web site in the body of your post. You can however make it part of your signature, which means it will be visible anytime you post. Thanks for understanding.

Rick
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
If you're going to be fairly stationary, mason jars are darned handy too.

Hey, Coot. Aren't Mason jars also known as W.Virginia cups? About the only thing the local water won't eat through. Just rumor, you understand. But if you drink very much, you're sure to be stationary.:D

WgS
02-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey, Coot. Aren't Mason jars also known as W.Virginia cups? About the only thing the local water won't eat through. Just rumor, you understand. But if you drink very much, you're sure to be stationary.:D

They make a good mini-fridge. You can hang them in the creek from strings and even your liquid doesn't leak... but hey, I tend to shop at Sally Ann's.

Pal334
02-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Mmm,, stationary or prone? :D

Rick
02-12-2009, 06:19 PM
You bet!!!!! Prone to be stationary.

nell67
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
What's a hort???? Oh, just noticed who posted, nevermind.

Oh but you were( temted) to say something else weren't you!?

crashdive123
02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Me tempted? Nah! Well....unless we're talking chocolate or scotch or cheeseburgers or ...... oh never mind.