PDA

View Full Version : Great place for shelf stable storeable milk

maddmike71
02-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I recently made some purchaces from this site and the milk is great with up to 9 months before expiration, thought I would share the site.

http://www.milkonthemoove.com/

welderguy
02-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Does it taste like regular milk, I'm guessing it needs no refrigeration? And Thanks for the link.

crashdive123
02-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Maddmike71 - how about heading over to the Introduction section and sharing a bit about yourself. Thanks.

crashdive123
02-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Does it taste like regular milk, I'm guessing it needs no refrigeration? And Thanks for the link.

It tastes pretty much like regular milk. It is sometimes called UHT (Ultra High Temperature) Milk. Your grocery store probably sells it. Another shelf stable milk is sometimes referred to as Irradiated Milk (not as bad as it sounds), where the milk has been exposed to UV (think Steripen).

tacmedic
02-06-2009, 08:44 PM
This type of milk is fairly common in parts of Europe. It was the only milk available when I lived in Spain. It was weird to walk in to the grocery store and have the milk be on a shelf in the regular aisle and not in a refrigerator case. It does taste pretty much like regular milk, but there is a foil lining to the carton (like a juice box) that I think imparts a slight metallic taste to the milk.

wildWoman
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Evaporated (canned) milk can be stored a year and longer and thinned out with water according to taste. Up here, that works out to a much cheaper price than the UHT milk.

Stairman
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I just bought some powdered milk for the first time yesterday.I mixed up a quart of it and it wasent bad.I was thinking of mixing it with instant breakfast mix to see how that tastes.Not sure of the shelf life,anybody know?

crashdive123
02-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I just bought some powdered milk for the first time yesterday.I mixed up a quart of it and it wasent bad.I was thinking of mixing it with instant breakfast mix to see how that tastes.Not sure of the shelf life,anybody know?

I've used some that was several years old. Not sure what the shelf life is supposed to be though. Try putting in a little vanilla (not too much) and see how you like the flavor.

rockymtnchief
02-10-2009, 06:14 PM

I keep powdered milk in the cupboard for hiking and camping. I pour cereal and the powdered milk in a ziplock bag and throw it in my pack. It weighs nothing at all. Then when it's time to eat, just add water to the zip lock bag, shake it up, and eat.

Rick
02-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm with Rocky. I buy Kroger brand powdered milk and keep at least a couple of boxes on hand. It's a great creamer for coffee and I carry it with me in my pack. I can only go a couple of days without milk and then I have withdrawal. Almost as bad as coffee and bacon!