PDA

View Full Version : not to be a fatalist!!!!!

sniperfx
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
it seems lately that our society has kind of gone in the crapper. i started to get the feeling that something is very wrong, and that there will be some kind of HAPPENING! i am normally pretty easygoing, but lately i have had a sense of something is not right. i cant really explain it, but i have a gut feeling about this. does anyone else feel this too? or am i a nuthead? i know i set myself up for that last comment, but i am being serious!! thanks in advance...

Riverrat
02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Funny...I am on a couple of other forums, (that is what kept me sane while this one was being fixed), and this same type of post has shown up there...uneasy feeling, something not right, feeling nervous....I think it has a lot to do with the news, every where you turn there is bad news, with the markets, with people loosing jobs, North Korea at it again, Hamas and Israel. People are on overload. Maybe I am wrong, what do you all think?

And to answer your question, no you are not the only one, and i don't know you well enough to comment on the "nuthead"...lol

Sourdough
02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
We are all crazy for letting ourself get addicted to forums......I for one am not happy with myself about this.

Also interesting is the instant assumption that the SHTF and that is why the site crashed.

And that this all started in France when some people said, WHAT you mean I might have a survival problem, and millions of people overloaded the survival sites.

Well, what we now know is if you didn't know it baby, you ain't going to learn it, from GOOGLE after the SHTF.....:eek::eek::eek:

SARKY
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
First off, no you aren't crazy! And second there is something seriously wrong in the world today. To me it feels like the rot of civilization.

Badawg
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
People have been saying TSHTF since the beginning of time. And for some, it did. Personally I think the US is in a rough patch due to a bunch of failed policies and a heck of a lot of greed. I don't think that OSHTF yet though. Things are going to get worse over the next year or two as the market and economy readjust back to reality, but I am actually feeling hopeful about our future.

Think positive but keep yourself prepared and you will be fine.

palm stalker
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
it seems lately that our society has kind of gone in the crapper. i started to get the feeling that something is very wrong, and that there will be some kind of HAPPENING! i am normally pretty easygoing, but lately i have had a sense of something is not right. i cant really explain it, but i have a gut feeling about this. does anyone else feel this too? or am i a nuthead? i know i set myself up for that last comment, but i am being serious!! thanks in advance...

oh god.ure looking for a change, the tshtf..its just the world..we have a new administration,so hes a black american,give it a chance..u just wont a chance,to snipe and kill..ur a sick puppy.your sig said it best(in my own private hell)

Geronimo!
02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
People have been saying TSHTF since the beginning of time. And for some, it did. Personally I think the US is in a rough patch due to a bunch of failed policies and a heck of a lot of greed. I don't think that OSHTF yet though. Things are going to get worse over the next year or two as the market and economy readjust back to reality, but I am actually feeling hopeful about our future.

Think positive but keep yourself prepared and you will be fine.

Good call Badawg,

There are always going to be people saying TS already HTF, and there are always going to be people saying things are kosher. That's just the nature of people. Some people are glass half fulls, some are half empties.

The truth is, the market is always expanding and contracting, it's just the way the economy works. The bigger the expansion, the bigger the contraction. We just passed one of the biggest periods of expansion the world has seen, so it is naturally followed by one of the largest contractions. That's why you have companies like Toyota reporting their first operating losses since they were formed way back when. Sure, deals being made on Wall-Street and in Washington that we don't see. These might be those, "funny feelings," but why assume these deals are contrary to public policy?

Remember, it's in everyone's interest (from politicians & business executives to common folk) to keep the system (civilization) going. If TSHTF, there goes insurance, there goes inflated paychecks for under worked executives, and there goes 12 pairs of tube socks for 1.99 @ Wal-Mart. And who can honestly say they don't want a great deal on that many tube socks!

The fan may be going full speed, but as long as everyone $hit$ in the toilet, we'll all stay clean.

donny h
02-04-2009, 02:49 AM
The truth is, the market is always expanding and contracting, it's just the way the economy works.

What concerns me the most is the rate at which we are printing money.

The amount of new paper since 2001 is staggering, how long can that go on until the value of the dollar tanks?

Dennis
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a simple philosophy and this is nothing new. Prepare the worst and hope for the best. I am going to enjoy my life.

The amount of new paper since 2001 is staggering, how long can that go on until the value of the dollar tanks?

I agree the senseless printing of more money is going to catch up to us. JMHO

crashdive123
02-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Actually, the printing of money spiked for a brief period in 2001 and then returned to "normal" levels. It's been the last year where it has gone wild. ...and you are right, unless it comes back down it will cause long term problems.

chiangmaimav
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
My personal biggest fear about the future is that the economic situation, which is of course pretty bad, will distract people in power from what I still think is the biggest threat to America and that is terrorism. The US survived the depression and I believe we will survive this. But if we let our guard down and don't pay attention to national security that could be a real problem.

trooper
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Sniperfx... for being cold blooded, can't fight ya cause we can't see ya, and just for being a sniper ya sound like a wimp... lol JUST JOKING.
Relax your fears are just the 2nd depression we're in... lol... everyone thinks Obama will fix it by the end of Feburary or even this year, sorry no quick fix ya gotta give the man some time to fix the broken wheel of spending and money grabbing that has always been around in government.
Just relax, go to work, spend your money as you usually would and ride the storm out.
But listen to my stimulus package. We gave $700 billion dollars to companies to make sure they don't go under (very stupid by the way) and now we have no control or idea how the spent that money and they didn't use it for what they said (told ya it was stupid) but listen, there aren't 700 billion people in the U.S. so if they would have gave a working family household $1,000,000 dollars and taxed it, single working household $500,000 and taxed it, and the welefare lazyazzes $50,000 (want more get a job) and taxed it (would have had money left over also) the economy would be fixed because you'd pay off your house (now you can buy and sell-fixed the housing market) bunch of people would buy cars and pay them off (fixed the auto market) and you pay off your debt (fixed that) and you'd go into a new kinda debt, and of course people would spend the crap out of the money buying what they wanted.
See all fixed up!!!!
Trooper for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geronimo!
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
That's definitely a healthy dose of scratch.

I'd develop a flying car, or fill the grand canyon with pudding. Either way, the American people win.

higgy
02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
If our own stupidity doesn't get us , Mother nature will! There has to be some effect from our solar system passing thru the Milkyway's sprirls in 2012. I would think that the Milkyway has great magnet and gravitional effect on Earth.

http://www.viewzone.com/endtime2x.html

doug1980
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I am constantly being accused of not worrying enough about the Economy, Politics and so called "important" issues. I still am not worried about those things. Most of them I have no control over, I spend my time worrying about things I can control. I still prepare, not as much as I should or could, but prepare none the less. I don't know what might happen to this country but I get up and go to work, I enjoy my wifes company, I play with my dog and do things I enjoy. I own 3 vehicles a house and all that goes with that. I live paycheck to paycheck but am happy. I'm a simple man and don't pretend to understand how this country got so bad, and maybe I am a wrong to not worry. But I'm happy and that's important to me.

higgy
02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
One big thing is, there is a solar max coming in 2012.

trooper
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh my Gawd!!!!!!! Now its a frig'n Solar Max in 2012!!! Higgy r u another doom and gloomer? Waiting on the Mayan calander to end all our suffering?
People gimme a frig'n break, bad crap happens all the time, suck it up and drive on with life or it will pass you by. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

higgy
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Did you read the part about only 2000 people making it thru the last one. I wonder who counted?

higgy
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
It's not my fault! It's the Mayans. They made the calendar. Not me!

bulrush
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Don't forget that we are also always shredding money too. Tons and tons of paper bills every year. Paper money only lasts a year on average.

(And if that's true, how come I have crisp bills saying "series 2001"?)

Anyway, about society going to the crapper, it's about lack of responsibility from the top (president) all the way to the bottom (common criminals). Politicians have thousands in back taxes and they still get reelected (I'm not talking about Daschle). The President lies under oath (Clinton) and smokes pot (Clinton said he didn't inhale). Governor Blagojovich trying to sell Obama's seat. Senator? of Alaska getting free home improvement work. Murderers getting off scot free due to "technical issues". More people doing drugs. 60% of America is obese or overweight. This is a responsibility issue.

More info about corrupt congressmen at: http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/node/307

higgy
02-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, I like that saying Trooper.

higgy
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
BTW, does anyone have a pre electronic ignition vehicle, for the storm?

Edit: off topic, sorry

Ziggy
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Most religions are based on the idea the TS will HTF eventually. Mores change back and forth. The turn of the last century was just as bad as this one.

There does seem to be something bad in the air, and the world political stage is set for a massive war (read WWIII) if cooler heads don't prevail. Will it come to that? Who knows.

As far as our country is concerned, it's our own fault, collectively, we let, yes LET, politicians get us in the mess we're in, and now we have to pay the piper. The hippie boomers wanted Eutopia, and this is the price we pay.

Doesn't sound fatalist to me, maybe wary is a better term.

sniperfx
02-04-2009, 02:16 PM
oh god.ure looking for a change, the tshtf..its just the world..we have a new administration,so hes a black american,give it a chance..u just wont a chance,to snipe and kill..ur a sick puppy.your sig said it best(in my own private hell)

the siggy is a joke! just been getting funky feeling. thats all!!!!!! not a conspiracy guy waiting for 2012 or anything. but since we are on the subject, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, I love stirring the pot. LOL

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Really, if Nasa says it's happining, I'm not calling it crap.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Want more?

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/21jan_severespaceweather.htm

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Don't tell anyone, they will freak!

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I just went from a member, to a SERIOR MEMBER, DID MY VOICE CHANGE?

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Dammit, it was only my hair getting gray.

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
evidently you can still be stupid and be a senior member?

higgy
02-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Like I was saying, If our own stupidity.....

higgy
02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
You people that have the ignore higgy feature. I want to use that!

backtobasics
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Don't forget that we are also always shredding money too. Tons and tons of paper bills every year. Paper money only lasts a year on average.

(And if that's true, how come I have crisp bills saying "series 2001"?)

Anyway, about society going to the crapper, it's about lack of responsibility from the top (president) all the way to the bottom (common criminals). Politicians have thousands in back taxes and they still get reelected (I'm not talking about Daschle). The President lies under oath (Clinton) and smokes pot (Clinton said he didn't inhale). Governor Blagojovich trying to sell Obama's seat. Senator? of Alaska getting free home improvement work. Murderers getting off scot free due to "technical issues". More people doing drugs. 60% of America is obese or overweight. This is a responsibility issue.

More info about corrupt congressmen at:
http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/node/307

I'm with you bulrush, This is exactly whats wrong. People need to remember what our moms use to say also " two wrongs don't make a right." Just because someone else is getting over on our county doesn't mean we should join in an do the same. It just makes a bigger mess.

backtobasics
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Most religions are based on the idea the TS will HTF eventually. Mores change back and forth. The turn of the last century was just as bad as this one.

There does seem to be something bad in the air, and the world political stage is set for a massive war (read WWIII) if cooler heads don't prevail. Will it come to that? Who knows.

As far as our country is concerned, it's our own fault, collectively, we let, yes LET, politicians get us in the mess we're in, and now we have to pay the piper.

Doesn't sound fatalist to me, maybe wary is a better term.

Another good point.

higgy
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I think I'm dying, I just ate a peanutbutter sandwich!

Yes, I'm a drunkin Troll

Alpine_Sapper
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Is that what prompted the random volley of posts from above? Spasms on the keyboard? For gods sake man, unplug occasionally. :)

crashdive123
02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh my Gawd!!!!!!! Now its a frig'n Solar Max in 2012!!! Higgy r u another doom and gloomer? Waiting on the Mayan calander to end all our suffering?
People gimme a frig'n break, bad crap happens all the time, suck it up and drive on with life or it will pass you by. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Trooper - you are wise beyond your years!

crashdive123
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Please do not let this thread delve any further into a political discussion. Thanks.

trax
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
evidently you can still be stupid and be a senior member?

evidently.....

trax
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
..... The hippie boomers wanted Eutopia, and this is the price we pay.........

Yeah that Thomas More was definitely considered one of them hippie boomers when he wrote the book (Utopia) back in 1516. Good ol' Henry VIII knew how to deal with them hippie boomers, he eventually had More's head chopped off. Hope I'm not being too political Crash:D

higgy
02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
evidently all Nasa scientists are idiots too! LOL

welderguy
02-05-2009, 12:08 AM
evidently all NASA scientists are idiots too! LOL

Well maybe not idiots but maybe if they weren't focusing on the teotw and payed attention to the space program ( hence the acronym NASA) we wouldn't have had 2 shuttles blow up. Just my 2 cents.
Becasue no matter how hard they try I dont think they can do anything to change what ever will happen when we pass thru the milkyway.

palm stalker
02-05-2009, 12:29 AM
the siggy is a joke! just been getting funky feeling. thats all!!!!!! not a conspiracy guy waiting for 2012 or anything. but since we are on the subject, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

sorry i said that sniper..rbt hienlien said it best,(when the ship lifts all bill are paid)

endurance
02-05-2009, 01:06 AM
I think the economy is going in the crapper no matter what anyone does, but it can be controlled to the degree that it's a steep and deep valley we have to cross, or a long, nasty downward slide to the bottom where we'll sit for a long, long time. The amount of bad debt in the form of not only mortgages, but credit default swaps, bad corporate debt, unstable national debt in many European countries, and private debt is going to take a long time to deleverage and get to a sustainable level. In some ways, bailing out the banks is just delaying the inevitable along with nationalizing corporate debt. Someone has to default on that debt or it will continue to act as an anchor on the economy for years to come. Sorry, but shareholders should be the one's to suffer; after all, they were the one's signing on for the gains along with the risks.

A global depression isn't going to kill many people. Very few in the US, especially. China, Japan, Africa, and eastern Europe might be another story, but we're not talking about mass extinction, we're talking about 1-3% of global population if it's a 10-12 year bottom like 1929-1941.

The things that scare me are peak oil and the deminishing supply over the next 15-20 years and what that will do to global food production. That alone could lead to a 30-50% die off from both famine and the increasing conflict over a rapidly declining resource. Again, it will have far less impact on the US than the third world.

Another thing that's always on the radar for me is nasty bugs. Problems with our food supply (Salmonella, E-coli, Campylobacter, etc.) are minor inconveniences compared to something like the Spanish flu. We still have only minimal protection against viruses with a small handful of semi-effective anti-virals which lose their value when the Chinese feed their chickens Tamiflu. In the meantime, we're screwing ourselves out of the greatest lifesaver of the 20th century; antibiotics. Using them in chickens because they fatten them up quicker is pure lunacy. In another 25 years nearly every antibiotic invented in the 20th century will be worthless against the most common bacteria like strep and staph. We can't come up with new ones fast enough and it's catching us.

I don't expect mega-disasters like comet strikes and super volcanoes. They'd be damn tough to plan for if you did. All I can do is the best I know how to live a good life that I enjoy while putting up enough to get me through the inevitable tougher times to come.

higgy
02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I am a doom and gloomer, aint I. I've deceided to change my thinking. My new motto is, "Ignore the worst and hope for the best!" I'm starting to feel better already! I think I'll go plant some flowers now so everything will come out rosie. La La-la La-la....

Geronimo!
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
All I can do is the best I know how to live a good life that I enjoy while putting up enough to get me through the inevitable tougher times to come.

well said.

grundle
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah that Thomas More was definitely considered one of them hippie boomers when he wrote the book (Utopia) back in 1516. Good ol' Henry VIII knew how to deal with them hippie boomers, he eventually had More's head chopped off. Hope I'm not being too political Crash:D

Wow, you really ARE old school :D

woodlander1314
02-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Yes sniper, I feel this strange sense of impending doom when I wake up. And sometimes, I am almost in a panic. There is a peculiar "desperation" in the air. I feel as if I am living on pure adrenaline and this worries me. I get strange nightmares about my ancestors and my dead brother, they are warning me to be ready and lately I can hear and smell over great distances. Sometimes everything falls quiet and all I can hear is heartbeat, and then I hear a strange voice in my head that speaks a different language. This frightens me sniper, you are not alone in all this.

oly
02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I feel the same way, Im concerned about the ethics of our younger generation, you know the one that says you owe me

Dammit, it was only my hair getting gray.

LOL the solar flare is upon you:D