PDA

View Full Version : slingshots

blowgunsgalore
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
have any of you guys hunted anything with a slingshot and also what kind of ammo do you use

snakeman
01-31-2009, 02:09 PM
I have made one but never hunted with it. Just use little rocks as ammo. Mitch.chesney just posted a video about them. It und on this page call no gun, now bow, no problem. That guy is awesome.

klkak
01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Has anyone here hunted with a slingshot?
Yes I have...,

What kind of ammo do you use?
White marbles...,

blowgunsgalore
01-31-2009, 05:57 PM
wat was the kill and wat range if u no

flandersander
01-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I usually use ball bearings. You can kill a squirrel within about 15-20 yards. Darn fine eating too. I use a wrist rocket type sling shot, and always carry a couple extra packs of elastics. Which have other uses in themselves.

blowgunsgalore
01-31-2009, 08:20 PM
where do u get ball bearings....i used a gum ball to tke a rabbit and a bird

crashdive123
01-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Use a pebble or rock...costs less.

SARKY
01-31-2009, 08:41 PM
yes I have. It is a folding wristrocket with a storage handle. I've taken squirrel, bunnies, and wood grouse with it. I use .32 and .50 lead round ball that I cast.

blowgunsgalore
01-31-2009, 08:48 PM
wats the biggest u taken btw how do u cast balls

klkak
02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
yes I have. It is a folding wristrocket with a storage handle. I've taken squirrel, bunnies, and wood grouse with it. I use .32 and .50 lead round ball that I cast.

Cast lead ball. I never thought of that but it should work really well. Thank you for the idea.:)

Runs With Beer
02-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes and I use lead balls.

Stairman
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Never really thought of a slingshot for food gathering.Havent shot one in ions.A replacement band might be a good light bugout item to pack.You could cut the Y once its needed.My thinking is shooting 2 or maybe 3 balls at once instead of just one would increase your odds of hitting something.

Cleankill47
02-10-2009, 05:26 AM
You can google deer hunting with a slingshot and find a guy who sells big-time heavy hitting slingshots. I wanted one, but never got it. Seems like it would be useful to have a small, light, quiet tool with such power and able to use rocks as ammo. A good silent game getter, definitely.

sthrnstrong
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Not sure if the link is right, but here is a video on how to modify a basic wristrocket to take down deer with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIcCRJGYug

NCO
11-18-2009, 11:16 AM
No, I haven't because here hunting with slingshots is illegal, as is hunting with crossbows, BB guns and bows weaker than 45lb's.

canid
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Never really thought of a slingshot for food gathering.Havent shot one in ions.A replacement band might be a good light bugout item to pack.You could cut the Y once its needed.My thinking is shooting 2 or maybe 3 balls at once instead of just one would increase your odds of hitting something.

you have a tradeoff between mass and cast.

higher mass = better killing/stunning power

lower mass = better cast.

with multiple projectiles in one shot, you have multiple objects of lesser killing power traveling less far.

mcgyver
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I use the folding Wrist Rocket and Marbles to discourage the Geese from getting too comfortable in my yard. :innocent:
At a 100yds to the waters edge, I usually get a thump in da bum, a sqawk, and a quick procession to the water. I get about a 80% hit rate at that distance. Most of the time after a few weeks "training", all I need do is walk out on the deck and they start running.
I believe you could hunt well for small game with one.

Old GI
11-24-2009, 11:12 AM
"... how do u cast balls."

I cannot believe you wise guys did not seize on that opportunity!!!:spam:

Ole WV Coot
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM

WAY, WAY too easy.:innocent: I have one, use select pea gravel for discouraging pets (not mine) from using the yard as a "pit stop".:sneaky2:

crashdive123
11-24-2009, 11:56 AM

As OWVC - aka Pops said - sometimes we let the easy ones go. Kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. Nice to know it's there if you need it, but.......

Rick
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
And some have morals and ethics. Well, not me personally but some.

hoosierarcher
11-24-2009, 11:12 PM
They make stronger bands now. Tapered red ones offer a slight velocity advantage, Newest black ones much stronger. In my youth I had a folding wrist rocket. I used steel ball bearings, marbles and .44 calibre lead round balls.
killed a squirrel or two, at least one rabbit and a pheasant before the age of 16.
Now with the heavier bands , a whisker biscuit arrow rest replacement biscuit, two zip ties some golf tees and some after the season sale wally world carbon arrows you can turn a wrist rocket into a sling bow and take big game.

redwoodfox
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
dave caturbury from the pathfinder school has some killer vids on how to modify a wrist rocket for big game hunting but yet still be able to shoot small game too. He even shows how to set it up to use for bow fishing. Vey cool and i would encourage asnyone who hunts with a sling shot to check it out

crashdive123
12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
dave caturbury from the pathfinder school has some killer vids on how to modify a wrist rocket for big game hunting but yet still be able to shoot small game too. He even shows how to set it up to use for bow fishing. Vey cool and i would encourage asnyone who hunts with a sling shot to check it out

Yep. Post #14 has the link. He does have some good tutorials on you tube.

hunter63
12-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Yep. Post #14 has the link. He does have some good tutorials on you tube.

I believe this was discussed a while back, and of course I had to try it.
Works pretty good for close range.
The modification shown can be left on, out of the way when not in use.

I use a wrist rocket (among other things) for BYB's, scourge of the garden. With the arrows, a little more difficult to handle quickly, but have scored with it.
Arrow got caught on the fence when he/she? tried to run away, but it worked.

All in all, I think the slingshot would be a quite, viable small game getter, in any situation.