PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Raising Meat Rabbits?

prepngo
01-30-2009, 06:18 PM
If you are thinking about raising meat rabbits you might be interested in the e-guide "Raising Rabbits for Meat (http://tinyurl.com/shrrfm)". This covers everything from choosing the best breeds according to their meat-to-bone ratio, to housing, health, problems from other animals, feed, recipes, butchering and brain tanning rabbit skins.

It's definitely been a help to me. And I can tell you that rabbit cooked in a pressure cooker with potatoes, onions and Knorrs Vegetable Soup mix is...Delicious!!!

Prepngo

Beans
01-31-2009, 08:09 AM
You only have to start with Two :-)

crashdive123
01-31-2009, 09:38 AM
You only have to start with Two :-)

Helps if only one of them is male.;)

SARKY
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Doesn't matter if you have 2 pregant females!

prepngo
02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
The only way I was able to get started raising rabbits was thru my local Freecycle and Craigslist. Got a 4'x8' hutch off Freecycle...they even delivered it. Got some of my rabbits off Freecycle. Others I purchased from sources found on Craigslist.

You might also be able to get your rabbits to pay for themselves. Some feed stores sell bunnies. I traded two bunnies for a 50# bag of Purina rabbit pellets. Even better they were two bunnies that I got free. While they weren't real meat rabbits, they'll live longer being some kid's pet and the feed will do for my rabbits for at least a month.

RunsWithDeer
02-17-2009, 05:52 AM
We raise rabbits for meat, Calfornia and New Zealands. They are great meat rabbits, and they grow fast. We butcher at 7-8 weeks of age. Down to 6 rabbits right now, all adult breeders. One buck and 5 females. 3 females are pregnant. Super easy to care for and breed. We built our own cages, and have very little invested in them.

flandersander
02-17-2009, 07:22 PM
One thing I found was a real problem was actually hawks/eagles. I had about half an acre fenced in with sod on top of the underlying chickenwire. of course, i didn't even think of a wire roof and hawks got a few rabbits before i saw it actually happen. Long story short, you need a roof.

nell67
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't allow my rabbits to be on the ground,as that signifcantly increases the possibility of parasites and diseases from wild rabbits.