PDA

View Full Version : Bush Lines

Runs With Beer
01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Down here in Fla. We fish with bush lines. Its hook line and sinker tied to limbs hanging out over the water. This works very well, and works while your doing something else. If you dont have a boat, Take a pole and tie a cloths pin to the end and use to hook and pull the lines in to check, You can also set from land by puting a larger hook on the other end of your bush line and using the cloths pin, hook it out on a limb. This is very productive way to fish.

skunkkiller
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM
we call them bank pole and they have to be checked twice aday

vthompson
01-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Here where I live it is called running trot lines, and they have to be checked once a day.

Stairman
01-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Bush hooks as I know them are tied off to bushes growing in or very near the water.Trot lines are all tied to a long main horizontal line usually 50 ft.long and 2 ft apart.

vthompson
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry there Stairman, I forgot to mention all of that.

Stairman
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I wasent trying to be smart but the two are different setups.Both catch fish while your gone.someplaces may call a bush hook a trot line I dont know,I was differentiating between the two.

Runs With Beer
01-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I wasent trying to be smart but the two are different setups.Both catch fish while your gone.someplaces may call a bush hook a trot line I dont know,I was differentiating between the two.

Yes Stairman, Thats write. The point I was trying to make is, If you dont have a boat, you can set and check these lines from the bank.

Gray Wolf
01-31-2009, 05:40 AM
Bush hooks as I know them are tied off to bushes growing in or very near the water.Trot lines are all tied to a long main horizontal line usually 50 ft.long and 2 ft apart.

Thanks for explaining the proper terms for those just learning.

Beans
01-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Stairman

I guess it depends are you you are located.

"Brush Hooks" as you discribe them were called "bank lines"

In NE Missouri, where I grew up, a trot line 50 Ft long would go from bank to bank ,which wasn't done, and we tied it to the brush: Etc, growing close to the river bank.

Sometimes we even tied a plastic clorex bottle to one end as a float.

We were after catfish mostly. Once in a great while we would catch a snapping turtle, or a Damm Gar.

Stairman
01-31-2009, 07:58 AM
When I workrd offshore in the early 80's,7 on 7 off I ran 200 hooks[4 50ft lines]and caught so many catfish I sold them to the local Pitt Grill in Thibadaux.It was alot of fun.Louisiana's fishin cant be beat.

swampmouse
02-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I have fished trot lines, bush lines or limb lines, bank lines aka pole lines and bottle hooks. Gosh, in S. GA/ N. FL (Doctors Inlet, St. Johns River) we used it all including fish traps, nets and the odd blast of powder or eletricity. Bottle hooks with a 40 pound flat head in the mad mode can be fun to get hold of. These are the ultimate survival toles in the swamp, eatin is good and bait is easy.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
An aspect of bush fishing like we do is that most of my lines are hand made so a shorter line is good to use for this method.

DOGMAN
02-26-2009, 10:53 PM
My dad taught me to fish with jugs, yo-yo's, and trot lines. He called it "meat fishing" basically just a way to stockpile some food. We'd smoke whitefish, and trout and fry everything else. However, in Montana this style of fishing is now illegal.

joeblkwolf
02-27-2009, 06:40 AM
all are very good methods and should be learned and practiced, check your local laws they are illegal here as well, and for those that dont have winters like we do here in the north and the water is frozen over i like to fill the ice holes with pine branches and check them a little more often so they dont freeze over, for the ones the might not know

Barefoot
02-27-2009, 01:25 PM
jug and brush line fishing are still legal in ky with some restrictions. i have done both in the last couple of years for "meat" fishing. it is an awesome way to catch a lot of catfish for the freezer. we typically will set them in the evening and check in the am when we camp

i have not used a trot line in a long time but i grew up using an awful lot. i remember catching so many types of fish on them in kentucky and barkley lake. sauger, walleye, catfish, crappie, bass, stripers, gar...hell i remember once hooking a 75 lb paddlefish.

in ky, you cannot use a trot line on a lake less that 1500 surface acres so that rules out both of the lakes close to me or i would probably use them occasionally. jug and tree lines have many restrictions including: must be checked every 24 hrs, must have reflective markers on, must have name and address on each one etc. we get a lot of jackasses who hang them and leave them around here. normally i make rounds in the winter on both lakes close to me and remove all of the abandoned ones. man it was time consuming the first time i did it but now it just takes 1/2 day on each lake. the other bonus to that is that i usually find $50ish worth of lures/plugs hanging in the trees.

anyway, i am rambling......