PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tinder.

MatthewnOK
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
A good friend of mine gave me a can of NEVR-DULL (You know the metal polishing stuff?). Well I got to looking at the side of the can and I noticed it said: Combustible keep away from flame and sparks! Wadding contains Petroluem distilates.
So I did what any North America male would have done, grabbed my firesteel some matches and headed outside.
First test confirmed that it burned producing a hot flame lasting 3-5 minutes
Second test: I held the wadding in a pool of rainwater for 30 seconds. After a minute of sputtering it started burning and lasted about 3 more minutes.
Lastly I wadded a handful up under my canteen cup/stove and easily boiled a cup of water.

Rockgod1619
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Very nice observation! I never would have though to use that as a potential fire-starter. Good job! I've always enjoyed using very fine steel wool as a good fire-starter, myself.

MatthewnOK
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
This is usually a moderators job but here goes. (Don't yell at me to much for taking your fun away crash Y_Y) Rockgod why don't you head over to the introduction section
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
It's considered polite to introduce yourself first *Don't feel bad i didn't know it either*
Welcome to the forum it's a great place to learn!

nell67
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
This is usually a moderators job but here goes. (Don't yell at me to much for taking your fun away crash Y_Y) Rockgod why don't you head over to the introduction section
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
It's considered polite to introduce yourself first *Don't feel bad i didn't know it either*
Welcome to the forum it's a great place to learn!
LOL Great thread MatthewnOK,and good job directing the newbie:)

crashdive123
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Nice job Matthew.

Tony uk
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice job Matthew.

But you you're jealous Crash. :p

crashdive123
01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
But you you're jealous Crash. :p

Believe me when I say....not a chance. It's rewarding to see students learning and spreading wings on their own.;)