PDA

View Full Version : Powdered milk? Real or Alternative?

nimrod
01-27-2009, 02:26 PM
We have been using Real powdered milk for about 4 months now. I don't know the name brand. We bought it from a local Kitchen store in a 50lb bag.
It is fine for cereal. Not that great to drink. It is very inexpensive, however. We recently picked up some Morning Moo Milk Alternative. I have tried the chocolate kind and it is quite good. I haven't opened the white milk alternative yet.

Question: What is the nutritional differences with powdered (real) milk and milk alternative? Are you losing much by going to the alternative?

Question: Which powdered milk have YOU found to be best? (Of my unknown brand, Carnation and Great Value, we like Great Value the best, but it is more $. Haven't tried Morning Moo yet, but its Chocolate kind is delicious)

Question: Any hints to make powdered milk taste or smell better? (Other than mixing it with the real stuff)

nell67
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Some people swear that adding vanilla while mixing it makes it more pallatable.

crashdive123
01-27-2009, 02:31 PM
We have been using Real powdered milk for about 4 months now. I don't know the name brand. We bought it from a local Kitchen store in a 50lb bag.
It is fine for cereal. Not that great to drink. It is very inexpensive, however. We recently picked up some Morning Moo Milk Alternative. I have tried the chocolate kind and it is quite good. I haven't opened the white milk alternative yet.

Question: What is the nutritional differences with powdered (real) milk and milk alternative? Are you losing much by going to the alternative?

Question: Which powdered milk have YOU found to be best? (Of my unknown brand, Carnation and Great Value, we like Great Value the best, but it is more $. Haven't tried Morning Moo yet, but its Chocolate kind is delicious)

Question: Any hints to make powdered milk taste or smell better? (Other than mixing it with the real stuff)

Answer: You'd have to read the lable for the nutritional content of what you have actually purchased in order to get an accurate assessment.

Answer: What ever is on sale.

Answer: You may have to experiment around with this a little, but on the last submarine I was on (real milk ran out in a couple of days - powdered milk for the next several months) the cooks added a little vanilla and sugar. Not too much of either (that's where you're experimenting comes in). The other trick is to drink it while it is very cold.

crashdive123
01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Ha, Ha! I guess I'm one of those people Nell.

nell67
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Me too Crash:D

skunkkiller
01-27-2009, 02:55 PM
i only use it for cooking

Beans
01-28-2009, 07:44 AM
powdered milk, powdered eggs, canned bacon, canned Ham & lima's YUK

Any hints to make powdered milk taste or smell better?

Hold your nose when you drink it. ;-(

trax
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Some people swear that adding vanilla while mixing it makes it more pallatable.

Man, you guys will do anything to get into that ol' black magic won't you? I sure hope MDN isn't isolated by the weather too long, goodness knows what she's gonna come up with in the kitchen :eek:

nell67
01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Man, you guys will do anything to get into that ol' black magic won't you? I sure hope MDN isn't isolated by the weather too long, goodness knows what she's gonna come up with in the kitchen :eek:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p;)

trax
01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
***sampling the mixed milk...

just a little more vanilla...sip

maybe just a little teeny bit more...sip

jusht a tad *hic* more banilla...slurp...

Gad thish stuff tastes horrible, throw it out and pass me the whatchacallit..that black stuff...slurrrp....

nell67
01-28-2009, 01:21 PM
***sampling the mixed milk...

just a little more vanilla...sip

maybe just a little teeny bit more...sip

jusht a tad *hic* more banilla...slurp...

Gad thish stuff tastes horrible, throw it out and pass me the whatchacallit..that black stuff...slurrrp....
that stuff will cure whatever ails ya;)