PDA

View Full Version : Food questions from a newb

maxpower
01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I am very new to any type of survival networks or posting sites.
I am sure that you guys get this alot but given the state of the economy as of late I am begining to explore the idea of preparing for the worst.

In my searches I have run into a pile of different sites and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for decent places that sell mre's or other types of food?

Or any sites that have survival checklists or the like?

Thank you in advance.

crashdive123
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Here are a few that I have used and not been disappointed with. While you’re shopping, head on over to the Introduction aisle and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. You can find it here - http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

http://www.longlifefood.com/

http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?osCsid=683abeb29ecb7f645ed3bf93b35ab1d3

http://honeyvillegrain.com/

SARKY
01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
www.beprepared.com

primeelite
01-27-2009, 03:44 PM
All those sites were the same ones I was going to give. There are other websites such as Campmor, Cabellas, and so on but they will just sell you the mainstream type "survival food" which you will pay a lot more for and it isn't necessarily any better.

Riverrat
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Maxpower...one thing I would strongly suggest is you only buy food you like. If you do not know, buy a little and try it before spending money on something that will not get used. Any food I have on hand is what I would normally buy, I just get a little extra each time I go to the store. We also can quite a bit.

MCBushbaby
01-27-2009, 05:33 PM
I think buying MREs could get expensive real quick. Not to mention the bulk... how big is your cache? I'm speaking strictly from farmer's market experience where I could pick upa 50lb sack of Idahos for $9, a 5lb bag of rolled oats for $4.50, dried beans or peas for $1/lb, 10lb box of blueberries for $5, etc. Hell, even the Haymarket in Boston isn't that bad in the winter.

In addition, here's a short list of nonperishables:

Rice (white, wild, instant) Flour Barley/Cereals
JAW pancake mix JAW Crystal Lite mix Sunflower seeds (shelled)
Peanuts (shelled) Peanut butter Pasta
Beans C vegetables (green) C fruits
C soups (high protein) C meat (fish, spam, etc.) Spices (salt, broth, etc.)
Oils (olive) UF butter (high in fat) JAW soup mixes
Breakfast cereals Soy protein powder Dehyrdrated milk
Vitamin supplements Restaraunt jam packets Restaraunt cream cups
Tomato paste UF yogart Chips/Tortilla shells
Granola bars Oatmeal Jiffy-Pop popcorn
Water Hard Liquor Coffee

*JAW = just add water, C = canned, UF = unrefriderated

nell67
01-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Mitch,I just saw a 50lb bag of potatoes at the store yesterday going for $17.99,used to buy them at that same store for eight bucks.

BK-72
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
That "beprepared" site is pretty good, ordered stuff from there several times.

Beans
01-28-2009, 06:48 AM
The Commissary on the local military base carries the MRE's however at $8.00@ I find that I can do better assembling my own verison of MRE's by gathering items off the shelf.

Plastic spoons, fork, knives When going to the local Wendy, I usually find that a couple extra follow me out to the car and the quality is better then I can buy at Costco, More heavy duty. In a years time I have gathered maybe 12 of each.

I wanted to feel bad but when I looked around and seen how many people take the plasticware, then throw it away unused when they are done eating, as they exit Wendy's

I don't feel bad .

I would not recommend gathering 12 of each everytime you made a visit.

FWIW A once a month vist to fast food place is plenty for me.

primeelite
01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah you have to be careful when purchasing an MRE like I said above too. The same thing you could put together yourself for $2 will run you about $8-10 at some of these stores. Also depending on which type of MRE's you get they could taste so bad you wouldn't want to eat them unless you were going to die lol.

smoke
01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I have been putting my own meals togeather for awhile now im averaging 2.00 to 3.00 per meal thats a big savings.

vthompson
02-04-2009, 01:07 AM
beprepared.com is my go to place. I have ordered from them several times

bulrush
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.geocities.com/csroberts/survival.htm

This has pointers on all the basics of survival: food, water, shelter, fire. Plus hints on how to survive outside and in your home. And a checklist.

Machinegunmomma
02-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Mitch,I just saw a 50lb bag of potatoes at the store yesterday going for $17.99,used to buy them at that same store for eight bucks.

WOW has time change things... Safeway 10lbs $8.99 and that was their sale price nothing to laugh about here.. Next year at this same time I'm curious what the'll be maybe 10lbs $13.99-$14.99 maybe more...

SARKY
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
just remember it is real easy to grow potatoes. I use the stacked box method as I can get a lot of potatoes out of a small footprint.

Rick
02-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, jeepers. Maxpower, stock up on foods you like and will eat. It doesn't do any good to have 500 cases of MREs or anything else if your family won't eat them or doesn't like them. If you want to have it at home just in case then buy what you eat and rotate your stock.

RunsWithDeer
02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
We have a store called Aldi's that is a good place to stock up on canned goods. It's one of those lost cost places, you bag your own and no frills.