PDA

View Full Version : pencil sharpeners?

Stairman
01-25-2009, 07:17 AM
they work well for making tinder.I know you can shave a stick with your knife but this seems faster and the shavings skinnier.They are small and lightweight and some might choose to carry one after seein how fast the shavings catch.

MatthewnOK
01-25-2009, 12:38 PM
One thing you might look for, when i was third grade I had a pencil sharpener that was shaped like a circle. It was empty inside so it would hold you shavings. When you wanted to empty it you just popped up the little lid and dump out the contents. I think i can still get one a walmart. I'll check for you if you want.

vthompson
01-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I have a pencil sharpener that I keep in my BOB. I have had it in there for quite a while. It isn't round like the one mentioned above, it's rectangle shaped and it catches the shavings in the container below it.
I think that it is a really good idea to carry them and they don't cost hardly anything. The shavings catch real good whenever you use a firesteel to start your fire with. That is another item that I wouldn't get caught dead without.

Runs With Beer
01-25-2009, 07:00 PM
they work well for making tinder.I know you can shave a stick with your knife but this seems faster and the shavings skinnier.They are small and lightweight and some might choose to carry one after seein how fast the shavings catch.

You know I never thought of that, I carry a pencil and paper to jot down ideas and such,so why not? What a good idea.

Arsey
01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I too never would have thought of that. Thanks.
One goes in the kit as of now.

Pal334
01-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Mmmm,, thanks,, excellent

Austin Barlow
01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I think a knife or razor would get the job done with much less bulk and a greater multitude of uses.

crashdive123
01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
While the pencil sharpener may not be as versatile as a knife, it is yet another tool possibility if the need arises.

Stairman
01-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I really wouldnt call it bulky.They shave a stick in a spiral,against the grain.While whittling goes with the grain.Kinda like slicing meat for jerky,if you go against the grain it will be softer.Its not a mainstay but a better way of producing shavings if thats what you want.

Sam
01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
The pencil sharpener also reduces the risk of cutting yourself making shavings.
If your hands are cold and shaking it would save you a possible cut to deal with.
-Sam

Pict
01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
I have little square metal pencil sharpener that I use with Candeia wood for making tinder. The shavings just fall into my hand. They light very well. Mac

flandersander
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
And they are exactly that, a sharpener. you could sharpen field tip arrows and other wood objects with it.

rebel
01-25-2009, 11:55 PM
O.K. I admit, it does seem like a good idea. Now for the 1st grade sharpeners. Those log pencil sharpeners have gotta be good for something.

Austin Barlow
01-26-2009, 12:53 AM
And they are exactly that, a sharpener. you could sharpen field tip arrows and other wood objects with it.

Interesting point, it would give improvised arrows a much nicer tip. I just wonder if it will give it the right point for maximum effectiveness.

Runs With Beer
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Interesting point, it would give improvised arrows a much nicer tip. I just wonder if it will give it the right point for maximum effectiveness.

After you fire harden the tip, Im sure it would work just fine.

skunkkiller
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
that is a good idea for making arrows or frog gigs

pgvoutdoors
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I have little square metal pencil sharpener that I use with Candeia wood for making tinder. The shavings just fall into my hand. They light very well. Mac

When I was a kid I had a solid brass pencil sharpener. It had a stainless steel blade held in place with a screw. It was made in Germany. I've never come across one like it again.

bulrush
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
When I was a kid I had a solid brass pencil sharpener. It had a stainless steel blade held in place with a screw. It was made in Germany. I've never come across one like it again.

Very good point. Sharpeners with a screw to remove and replace the blade are now hard to find. I think you would have to go to an art store to get one of those, like Michael's. Go to the art department, not school supply dept.

Somewhere around 1999 I bought an electric pencil sharpener at a dollar store. It has a screw to replace the blade, but it still has the original blade. Just goes to show that not all the stuff in a dollar store is crap, just most of it.

pgvoutdoors
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks, I never thought of that.

Tony uk
01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
The ones with the blade held in place with a screw are common in nearly all supermarkets up here. But, ive never seen any replacement blades for them. I think it would be easier just to replace the whole thing.

vthompson
01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I have used shavings from a sharpener before and I can have a fire pretty quick with my firesteel. I found out about the pencl sharpeners a long time ago, and have kept one in my bag for camping also.

Beans
01-28-2009, 07:52 AM
It sound like a good idea!

However I have a question. Do you carry pencils to make the tinder or do you take your knife and wittle a stick small enough to fit in the pencil sharpener and then use the wittlings also as a fire base?

tim
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
i have a pencil sharpener that is made out of Magnesium so it can make tinder and kindling and it was made in Gemany too

Rick
02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey, Bulrush. You can toss the electric pencil sharpener in your BOB but you'll have to have a really looooooong extension cord. Unless you bug out to the back yard. Then not so long.

Great idea and, as a noble American often says....if it works for you.........

nell67
02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey, Bulrush. You can toss the electric pencil sharpener in your BOB but you'll have to have a really looooooong extension cord. Unless you bug out to the back yard. Then not so long.

Great idea and, as a noble American often says....if it works for you.........
Unless he can find a currant bush,then it's all good,right?