PDA

View Full Version : lightweight cookwear/stove

Stairman
01-25-2009, 01:42 AM
A friend of mine broke out his titanium kit and Ill be getting some of this stuff.Snowpeak.com.They have the fuel and stove that fits in the cup,that fits in the pot,that has a lid that doubles as a frying pan.He also has the lantern and spork.The fuel runs about $3.00 each and the stuff is super lightweight.Pricey but high quality.

SARKY
01-25-2009, 03:51 AM
I have the SnowPeak Ti minisolo kit in my BOB and a bunch of other pieces in my camp box. it's great stuff! I usually buy the stuff when REI has a sale. so I would get a piece about every 3 to 6 months.

MCBushbaby
01-25-2009, 04:10 AM
I use the Snow Peak Trek900 which I think is what you are describing. I wouldn't recommend it. The main reason? What the hell can you fry in a pan the size of a teacup saucer? The "skillet" is 1/3 the weight and I dropped it like a bad habit. I'd look for a simple titanium put instead. No handles, no lid. Put a simple bail wire around the rim and tahdah! Haven't tried the stove but I usually cook over coals. Believe me when I say I'm a gram weenie :D

Stairman
01-25-2009, 07:05 AM
you could scramble some eggs in it.I have always only had a pot and cup in my primitive camp pack so having a way to fry,even on a smaller scale would br nice.Rabbit or squirrel pices etc.I know in a survival situation id be stewing everything to gain more fat but a weekend excursion might find a small fry handy.I too am a coal cooker and fine fire builder,but if its wet and mushy out,I can fire up a hot drink in a jiffy,while Im working on a fire.The little stove and cookpot/cup is gonna find a place in my primy bob soon,but thanks for your input.

vegasrandall
01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I've got a jetboil cooking system.light.small and pretty foolproof. I gave you to a GI friend going to afghanistan and when he got back he said it was great,all his friends ordered one.

bulrush
02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Titanium is light and strong, but I hear it scorches and burns anything but water. Titanium is great at transmitting heat.

vthompson
02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
For backpacking, I will just stick with my canteen stove because it is light and there is no shortage on fuel. For regular camping with my wife, I will stay with my Kelly Kettle.

Stairman
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I dont think Ive seen a canteen stove yet.

vthompson
02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Stairman, go to Joe's Army Navy website, and type canteen stove in the search engine and it should pull it right up. It looks like canteen turned upside down cut in half with holes drilled all around it for air flow. You can set your canteen cup or whatever on it to cook or boil water. It is a neat set up. Check it out.

crashdive123
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Here's one.

http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/catalog/us_cup.jpg

vthompson
02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Thank you crashdive for posting the picture. I don't know how to do that.

crashdive123
02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Here's some info on posting pics. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1318

vthompson
02-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Thank's again crashdive123, I will print that out and then practice with a picture to see how I do with it.