PDA

View Full Version : Steripen's ?

vthompson
01-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Has anyone in the room here ever had anything to do with a Steripen? It is a water treatment device that supposedly kills germs, bacteria, etc. by way of ultra-violet light. It claims to destroy the DNA of everything making water harmless to humans.
I just thought that I would ask in case anyone had ever used one or was familiar with one. If you have, please leave a post and let me know what you think. Thank's for your time.

MCBushbaby
01-24-2009, 05:33 AM
It doesn't destroy DNA in the same way excessive heat would. It just damages it to the point that it can't replicate. But to be effective the water water needs to be nearly clear. Any turbidity and the effectiveness drops exponentially. There is no chemical taste you'd get with Iodine or Chlorine, and you keep the natural water flavor which you'd lose with boiling. But again, you need clear water and a long application time. I tried one once as part of a gear swap but it was so damned expensive and took so long to do even a clear glass of water that I went back to ceramic filters.

Sourdough
01-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Mitch, nice post, nothing more useful than been there, tried that, and it did not work for me. And I would not have it for free.

huntermj
01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I have one and have used it many times, once during a week long class with B.o.s.s. where we drank from some pretty nasty sources. It only takes two minutes of stirring in the water bottle and the water is good to go. I never got sick. That being said i still prefer a pump filter as they improve the taste of the water. In the desert i will drink whatever water is available even when its a stock pond of stagnate water with cow **** in it. But thats just me.

Kankujoe
01-25-2009, 02:47 AM
I have one... but I also have the pre-filter & bottle that are available with it. I find the SteriPen particularly useful for (civilized) travel outside the USA. When I travel to Asia, Central & South America and Europe I use it for tap water, restaurant water and questionable bottled water. For Adventure/Wilderness travel I use a Katadyn Vario pump filter (ceramic/media).

In my BOB I have a few portable straw filters & tablets (also keep the SteriPen in my BOB when not used for other travel).

The cost of a SteriPen is comparable to any decent pump filter system.

SARKY
01-25-2009, 04:09 AM
As has been said a steri pen is good for kiling critters in clear water. It doesn't strain out any chunks floating in the water nor does it remove any VOCs (volitile organic compounds) that is what a water filter with a activated carbon insert does. The 2 working together would remove and kill anything in the water.