PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition Accountability

Dennis K.
01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi All,
There is an email floating around - you'll see the text in the link.
Suffice to say, it has been thoroughly debunked.
I thought ya'll might be interested in the legislation, which, so far has never made it out of committee.
The link is to www.FactCheck.org - I trust this site - They typically go to the actual source material, such as the congressional voting records, or the actual speeches of poiliticians, rather than rely on pundits & hearsay.
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/are_states_going_to_require_serial_numbers.html

MCBushbaby
01-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Well that just sucks... imagine a $0.05/round tax of a brick of .22s! Horse****!
I think the reload industry is going to see a huge increase if this takes effect... btw, how would they "monitor" reloaders?

Dennis K.
01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
It would appear that the legislation is being pushed primarily by the owner of the bullet ID tech. patent.
By definition, that would be a "special interest" attempting to influence legislation in order to make a buck.
I think if any legislation like this were to pass, it would face a tremendous 2nd Amendment challenge in the US Supreme Court.
As for the re-loaders, many states already have restrictions on supplies, like gunpowder. The issue is that most states do not have a centralized database for that information. My guess is that such a database will be available to all law enforcement within a few years.

crashdive123
01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Well that just sucks... imagine a $0.05/round tax of a brick of .22s! Horse****!
I think the reload industry is going to see a huge increase if this takes effect... btw, how would they "monitor" reloaders?

One of the problems with that is that some of the proposed legislation would make owning any ammunition that is not serialized a crime.

MANABA
01-20-2009, 08:45 PM
:eek:Why are they always trying to keep us down?

palm stalker
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
:eek:Why are they always trying to keep us down?

its repression. the further the goverment can keep thier foot up our a**..the better they think thier laws are.. i just bought 550 rnds of .22 43 gr.hp..i guess i can give it back a rd at a time..need more .380 thou.:D

Dennis K.
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I can see the benefits of serialized ammo for law enforcement, not only in human crime, but also for crimes like poaching.
I don't see it as repression simply because the legislation does not prohibit anyone from owning ammo.
But, the tracking part bothers me.
It is an implicit search of my possessions without a warrant.

RBB
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Just looks like more legislation which will impact law abiding people while having little or no affect on criminals. If the ammunition is stolen - who are you going to trace it back to? The law abiding person who bought it in the first place?

Dennis K.
01-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Just looks like more legislation which will impact law abiding people while having little or no affect on criminals. If the ammunition is stolen - who are you going to trace it back to? The law abiding person who bought it in the first place?
Of course. So long as you have filed a police report, you are covered.
But, that is one more layer of reporting that you could be required to do.

Fortunately, the legislation has never made it out of committee. But it is very much like mistletoe - a tiny little bit takes hold, and suddenly it's everywhere.
The patent holder will use the info for direct and targeted marketing, possibly selling the list to other companies and entities. The sky is the limit for the use of any type of state or federal ammo database. Buy too much ammo? you get flagged. Buy certain types of ammo, you get flagged. Buy certain combinations of ammo, you get flagged. What about your personal data - also cross referenced w/ other agencies? - Buy some ammo, suddenly you're on the no-fly list?
mistletoe.

crashdive123
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I can see the benefits of serialized ammo for law enforcement, not only in human crime, but also for crimes like poaching.
I don't see it as repression simply because the legislation does not prohibit anyone from owning ammo.
But, the tracking part bothers me.
It is an implicit search of my possessions without a warrant.

The goal of ammunition serial numbers is not to solve crimes. It is nothing more than an overt attempt to ban guns.

trax
01-21-2009, 05:34 PM
The goal of ammunition serial numbers is not to solve crimes. It is nothing more than an overt attempt to ban guns.

'when freedom has been outlawed, only outlaws will be free'....

crashdive123
01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeppers.....

Dennis K.
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
FYI - Here is the company website for Ammunition Coding System:
http://www.ammocoding.com/index.php

Note the appeal to emotion, under the guise of logic - they spout statistics, while citing the Columbus Sniper or the DC area guys.
Gents, the legislation, so far has stalled. But this company is out for blood in the form of dollars. dollars to the tune of 10 billion bullets per year. Heckuvalotta money at stake here.
watch out for these guys.

trax
01-21-2009, 06:50 PM
And see...in my crazy world "ammunition accountability" means exactly the same thing as gun control. One shot, one kill.

primeelite
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
In the Washington Post someone in Obama's administration said that they would not be putting a tax on ammunition or guns that would increase at all. They said as far as guns go they will be making the background checks more thorough to stop mentally deranged and felons from getting guns and stopped the dumping of weapons on the streets by gun dealers who don't follow the law. They said there mentality on guns differs from the clinton administration as far as they don't think they should take any rights away from those who purchase and use guns legally but think there should be stiffer penalties for crimes with guns and more of a background check on purchasers and dealers. They also want to close the gun show loophole and require all new guns made have a child safety lock or safety of some type.

Stony
01-23-2009, 10:01 PM
what primeelite writes is just not enough.
i told all of you here last year that strong guncontrol WILL come, and fast.
most of you seen the reply my posting got.
now it is here and the bellyachin beginns.
to little too late.............