PDA

View Full Version : Ka-Bar Becker BK2 QUESTION

Icemancometh
01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I Just Received My New Bk2 And Bk11 From Tomars Ka-bars. While Checking Out The Bk2 I Noticed That There Are Noticable Gaps Where The Handle Slabs Meet The Tang. The Gaps Are Most Noticable At The Hilt And Pommel Areas. Looks Like The Handles Are Warped. I Tried Tightening The Screws, Didn't Help. Took The Handles Off And There Is A Visable Warp To Them. Does Anyone Else Here Have A Bk2, That They Can Compare It To. I Have Contacted Kabar And Just Waiting To Hear Back From Them.

Tony uk
01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a production defect to me, Perhaps you could send it in to get it fixed. Im pritty sure Ka-bar knifes come with so many days of warrenty.

Icemancometh
01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Has a lifetime warranty against defects.

Icemancometh
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
This story just keeps getting better. After finding fault in the BK2, I thought I would give the BK11 the once over. What to you know, its crooked. Viewing it from the rear it has a bend to the left. Had the wife and boys check it out to make sure I wasn't goofy and they all agree it is crooked. Guess they are both going back to Ka-Bar. Should have ordered the Blind Horse Bushcrafter.

teamonetl
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Please let us know the result of their customer service.

Icemancometh
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
knives have been returned to Ka-Bar, found out through email that the handles on the BK-2 have been replaced, BK11 is being replaced. Still waiting for thier return. Will update when I get them back

Icemancometh
02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Got the Ka-Bars back the other day. Handles on BK2 were replaced. They are considerably better, not perfect, but better. BK11 was replaced with a new one. They also threw in a BK13 for my trouble. Contact at Ka-Bar eluded that the handle molds are being redone to correct the problem.

crashdive123
02-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Good deal. It's always refreshing to encounter a company that stands by their stuff.

loki
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
I Just Received My New Bk2 And Bk11 From Tomars Ka-bars. While Checking Out The Bk2 I Noticed That There Are Noticable Gaps Where The Handle Slabs Meet The Tang. The Gaps Are Most Noticable At The Hilt And Pommel Areas. Looks Like The Handles Are Warped. I Tried Tightening The Screws, Didn't Help. Took The Handles Off And There Is A Visable Warp To Them. Does Anyone Else Here Have A Bk2, That They Can Compare It To. I Have Contacted Kabar And Just Waiting To Hear Back From Them.

I just posted this on another forum, but I received my BK2 yesterday from Tomars also and I like the knife but found that the handles did not fit flush with the tang in two spots also. My gaps are where the handles bulge out at for a hand gaurd. One gap is at the top and one at the bottom both on the same side. With the sharp edge facing you it would be the scale on the the right. I have not tried to take mine off but read a statement by one of the customer service reps on blade forums made a mention that they know of the slight problems and that they are working to correct them. That they have been tweeking things with the new line and ask customers to be patient. They said that this and other cosmetic abnormalities do not inhibit the functionality of the blade in any way.
I forgot the post I will try to see if I can find it and give the link. Aside from that cosmetic defect that we both share, I like the blade a lot. I am considering sending back to see if I can get some better fitting scales but I am not sure if it is worth it. I mean if it is going to be a beater seeing hard use, I wonder if I will really notice the gaps after using it for a while. While they were specifically talking about dings in the metal this shows that they were having quality control issues and are rectifying them.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651473

Icemancometh
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Ka-Bar and Ethan Becker are aware of the problem. I sent mine back along with a Ka-Bar Becker necker, that was slightly bent. Paul Tsugimoto (SP?) contacted me immediately when he received them. He personally fit new scales to the BK2 and replaced the Necker with a new one. He also included BK-13, for my trouble. I agree with you that the gaps probably would not be an issue as I had purchased mine for a beater. But I couldn't stand the idea that a first quality product could be distributed with such poor quality control. When I contacted Mr. Becker he said they were working on the QC issues. I believe the handle issue is due to the scale warping during production. I had conteplated trying to sand mine flat, but never got around to it. I would send it back. Mine new handles are nearly perfect. Paul T. also emailed me that there are micarta scales for the bk2 in the works.

This is probably more info than you wanted or needed. LOL

Sarge47
08-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Ka-Bar and Ethan Becker are aware of the problem. I sent mine back along with a Ka-Bar Becker necker, that was slightly bent. Paul Tsugimoto (SP?) contacted me immediately when he received them. He personally fit new scales to the BK2 and replaced the Necker with a new one. He also included BK-13, for my trouble. I agree with you that the gaps probably would not be an issue as I had purchased mine for a beater. But I couldn't stand the idea that a first quality product could be distributed with such poor quality control. When I contacted Mr. Becker he said they were working on the QC issues. I believe the handle issue is due to the scale warping during production. I had conteplated trying to sand mine flat, but never got around to it. I would send it back. Mine new handles are nearly perfect. Paul T. also emailed me that there are micarta scales for the bk2 in the works.

This is probably more info than you wanted or needed. LOLMethinks they need to hire Ken & Rick for their quality control department! :innocent:

Ken
08-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Methinks they need to hire Ken & Rick for their quality control department! :innocent:

*smiling from ear to ear* You mean Crash and Ken, right? Just a typo.

Anyway.........

Thanks, Sarge! At least someone appreciates us. :clap:

crashdive123
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Methinks they need to hire Ken & Rick for their quality control department! :innocent:

:confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

Ken
08-01-2009, 01:28 PM
You could just pretend he's Vacancy1 and ban him again.........:innocent:

Rick
08-01-2009, 04:07 PM
(Standing in front of mirror looking at self) Me thinks this new suit doth fit well. QC?! Rick, SUPER Moderator. Minister of Science and QC. What say you, Mini Me?

"eeeeee!"

Rick
08-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Sad that any company that knows it has issues like that would knowingly send a defective product to their customers. In reality, they are willing to let those customer that will accept the defect keep it and only fix the ones that customers complain about. They may stand behind their product but their intent is something else entirely. I give that a thumbs down!

loki
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
This is probably more info than you wanted or needed. LOL[/QUOTE]

A man can never have too much information. Just a lack of knowledge to do with that information. I want all the information I can get, in hopes that I might gain the wisdom to know what to do with some of the empty facts and information that I currently don't know what to do with.

Thanks a bunch. I migh just return mine also.

crashdive123
08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
The BK2 that I recently picked up has no gap in the scales. Maybe a faulty run?

pocomoonskyeyes
08-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Where is the factory Located I may just go and put in an applicaation for a QC position. I'm sure they now have a vacancy..... Maybe if not in QC how about field tester???:innocent::sneaky2::drool:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Think that one through Poco, they wouldn't need QC if the workers took pride in their work! One thing with this economic slump. All of the sudden people care about the quality of their work! I am seeing the best trends my company has accomplished in the 6 yrs. I have been responsible for our Quality... Go figure!

pocomoonskyeyes
08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Ok then how about field tester? Getting paid to go out and do stuff with their knives?well as long as I getto keep one of each(including prototypes that never see production):innocent::tongue_smilie: