PDA

View Full Version : Official Book Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

explodingearth
10-31-2007, 12:19 AM
i have the army survival manual if anyone but FVR wants it :} hit me up. PDF format

HOP
10-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Explodingearth read it well first there will be an exam sooner or later.

Beo
10-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Got one of those (not much to it), first off read the copyright and reprint date make sure its updated (although the ones printed in the late 70s and early 80s are great). Second I went to a couple of really great schools while in the army (Ranger, School of the America's, and a couple more) and we never used that manual, want a decent military manual get the updated RANGER Handbook, lot of good skills in there.
But........ Any manualis worth its weight in gold if you read it, practice the skills inside, and LEARN from it.
Just one man's thoughts.
Beo

trax
10-31-2007, 10:58 AM
i have the army survival manual if anyone but FVR wants it :} hit me up. PDF format

so is that...how to survive the army?? :D :D

Beo
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
more like how to survive after the army

Beo
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
why can't FVR get a copy? He's a friendly guy :)

trax
10-31-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure FVR doesn't need a copy anyway.

Beo
10-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Probably not, I just wanna know why explodingearth won't give him one. Darn wolves always messn wit my fun. :(

Tony uk
10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Are you talking about the one on this site, Then all you have to do is go to every page in order, Save them to a file (in order) then combine them into a single PDF document

explodingearth
10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
it said the information on this site is based on the document i have. i dont know if the sites info is complete

explodingearth
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
anyone know the umm... "model" name of the ranger manual? like the army manual is fm 21-76

Beo
10-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Type a search for U.S. Army Ranger Handbook or SH 21-76 United States Army

Outdoorbuff
11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I have the newest print of the U.S Army Ranger Handbook. Yoou can get it from Militarybookclub.com

explodingearth
11-09-2007, 07:32 PM
send it to us?

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 08:04 PM
You can get it for about $10.00 at an army surplus store also

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Matter of fact here is an online link so you can keep it in your favorites or copy it off (just don't tell Beowulf I did this) he's a stickler on giving up secrets... lol... jk
http://www.indiana.edu/~rotc/files/RangerHandbook.pdf

marberry
11-09-2007, 11:08 PM
iv got all the usmc survival books so if anyone wants one its just an msn away, my fav was the winter wilderness survival one by the way

FVR
11-09-2007, 11:13 PM
What is an msn?

I managed to lose both my mountain warfare books. Still have the jungle but it's so small and the print is hard to read with my fading vision.

marberry
11-09-2007, 11:15 PM
msn is an program used to talk with or send files to people over the internet , like a forum but way faster and more often used for 1 on 1 conversations as opposed to group discussions

FVR
11-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh, okay.

Thanks.

Outdoorbuff
11-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Here is a link to a Army surplus site that has Books and Manuals

https://www.mysticarmynavy.com/section.cfm?RequestTimeout=500&ID=340

dilligaf2u2
11-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I wish my son had not have taken my Improvised Munitions FM. That was a good read.

Don

SemperParatus
11-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I wish my son had not have taken my Improvised Munitions FM. That was a good read.

Don

I scanned mine and made a pdf file out of it. If you'll msg me and let me know how, I'll share.

explodingearth
11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
you can send me whatever. ill take anything

rebel
04-29-2008, 09:50 AM
I picked up this manual yesterday at the book store for $7.00 US.

It's smaller in size from the original manual. It appears to have the same contents as the larger manual just smaller print. The dimensions are 3 1/4" X 4 1/5".

I think it will make an excellent carry manual due to it's size and contents.

Sam
04-30-2008, 12:43 AM

It's smaller in size from the original manual. It appears to have the same contents as the larger manual just smaller print. The dimensions are 3 1/4" X 4 1/5".

I own a few of those, I put them in all my bags, and packs. I also have the full size one, and a few others. Very useful.

Kelticfox
05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I got a tiny black one give to me by an old staff sergeant (Who was actually SAS).

Its completely battered but it still damn useful.

Ridge Wolf
05-01-2008, 06:06 PM
There is also another SAS survival manual you might consider.. it is "SAS Essential Survival" by Barry Davies BEM. Lewis International Inc. publisher. It is narrower and thinner but fits nicely into a backpack.. He is also from the same SAS training school. It has a lot of the same information.. plus some more and actual pictures of proceedures and equipment.

Loftyjr
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
DUDE!!!!!!!! no way i got the same book a week ago

really good book

Assassin Pilot
05-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I've heard of this book before. I figure I'll get it for myself. Prob download it first to glance through, before I actually buy it ;)

The US Army has a survival guide as well that this website is completely based off of. I forget what it's called, but I have it somewhere.

crashdive123
05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Fm 21-76 Us Army Survival Manual

Assassin Pilot
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
That's the one!

Ridge Wolf
05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Ready, Set, Download!!! http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

Assassin Pilot
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I just downloaded the entire thing as the original book file. A lot easier that way. But that's illegal (I think) so I'm not gonna elaborate on it.

Mountaintrekker
05-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I know there are many threads and posts with some of your favorite book titles in them, lets get them all together. What say you?
How about a couple of different categories?

1. Survival skills/equipment- 98.6 degrees "the art of keeping your *** alive" by Cody Lundin, SAS survival guide and mental endurance guide, Backpacker Magazine puts out some informative books on trekking, backpacking and camp cooking, Tom Brown's guides, When Technology fails by Mathew Stein, The Complete Tracker by Len McDougall,

2. Survival stories-Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales, Stuff by Spike Walker,

3. Primitive skills and how to-The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible by Leon Kania,One Man's Wilderness by Keith Proenneke, Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel, Building the Alaska Log Home by Tom Walker,

4. Fiction-Tenderfoot Trapper by Arthur Catherall, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, Dean Koontz stuff is good for a light read, Books by Neil Gaiman, Jack London, Mark Twain,

5. I also like reading about hidden history and lost civilizations non fiction- Anything by Graham Hancock

These are just a few to get us started. My Amazon wish list reads like an inventory for the Library of Congress!

Let's seem some titles and authors folks :D.

wareagle69
05-11-2008, 09:38 AM
anything by louis lamour and if ya'll ever read them he has some great bushcraft knowledge in them which would have been useful in those times.
alos anything by edward abbey, can't say enough about da man

RobertRogers
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
My Side of the Mountain

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Doesn't have anything to do with wilderness, or survival, but my two favorite books of all time would be:
Jude the Obscure-Thomas Hardy
The Sun Also Rises-Ernest Hemingway

crashdive123
05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
One of my favorite books was "Thunder Below" by Eugene Flukey. He was a submarine skipper in WWII who changed the way tactics were used. He was awarded the Medal of Honor while he was on the USS Barb. I had a chance to meet him before he passed away. Truely an amazing man.

Chicago Dan
05-14-2008, 06:36 AM
My favorite are cookbooks from the great depression and WWII. Some pretty inventive stuff to make when you have very little. This might become a very popular genre if food prices continue to climb.

I have Grandma's wartime kitchen. Which is a modern collecton of WWII thrifty and ration cooking. A search of it on Amzon will bring up a slew.

Aurelius95
05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
A great story of survival is Lone Survivor, about SEAL Team 6 in Afghanistan in 2005. Amazing story of survival. My hat's off to those guys, along with the others who serve(d) our country.

Stephen Ambrose, the "Band of Brothers" guy, wrote a great biography of Lewis and Clark's expedition. It is called Undaunted Courage. These pioneers made their own clothing, housing, boats, etc. Only one man died on the journey, and that was in the winter before the expedition set out.

Sir Ernest Shackleton was captain of the Endurance when it was stuck in an iceflow for about a year in Antarctica back in 1916 or so. They abandoned ship, lived on the ice, killed seals and penguins. Over the 18 months they were lost, not a man died, and all made it safely back. There have been several books written about this event. A huge bonus, the ship's photographer disobeyed orders and did not leave his camera and film behind like he was told. They have great pictures from this disaster.

Aurelius95
05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/marknorris95/ShackletonI.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/marknorris95/ShackletonII.jpg

LeaveThisLifeGuy
05-19-2008, 11:55 PM
awesome pics!

Ken
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
LTLG -- The book is titled SHACKLETON. It's also available in a 4 videotape boxed collection, by A&E. (AAE-18418 to AAE-18421).

sthrnstrong
05-23-2008, 12:48 AM
My favorite series is by William Johnstone called " The last Mountain Man", and also anything by Louis Lamour.

MonsterMash
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Another vote for Johnstone here. I like his "Ashes" series. Also his stand alone books Breakdown, Last Rebel Survivor, Remember the Alamo, Invasion USA, Last of the Dog Team, Return of the Dog Team, Hunted and many more.

sthrnstrong
05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Last of the Dog Team is a great book. There is no telling how many times I have read it. William Johnstone passed away a few years ago and his family is still to this day releasing books that he had written over the years. The Last Mountain Man series is a 31 book series. So with all of his books you will definetly be entertained for a while. Hope you all enjoy.

pgvoutdoors
05-25-2008, 11:32 AM
My favorite are cookbooks from the great depression and WWII. Some pretty inventive stuff to make when you have very little. This might become a very popular genre if food prices continue to climb.

I have Grandma's wartime kitchen. Which is a modern collecton of WWII thrifty and ration cooking. A search of it on Amzon will bring up a slew.

Very Good Idea! I especially enjoy American classics. The time period you have spoken of sound very interesting, I need to look into it more.

Here's a couple of cookbooks I've found interesting:

"HOW TO FEED AN ARMY" Recipes and lore from the front lines
by J. G. Lewin & P. J. Huff

"THE LEWIS & CLARK COOKBOOK"
Historic recipes from the corps of discovery and Jefferson's America
by Leslie Mansfield

Rick
05-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Hey! Welcome back PGV. We missed you.

wildWoman
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Plants/animals: Discovering wild plants by Janice Schofield, Prescription for herbal healing by Phyllis Balch, Secret go the wolves by RD Lawrence, The Alaskan mushroom hunters guide by Guild, Vanhoesen
Wilderness living/travel: Diary of a wilderness dweller by Chris Czajkowski, Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez, Into the great solitude by Robert Perkins, Wilderness seasons by Ian and Sally Wilson, Descent into madness by Vernon Frolick, Wintering by Diana Kappel-Smith, Tundra by Farley Mowat
Fiction: anything by Margaret Atwood, Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, The piano man's daughter by Timothy Findley

Flavor Bear
05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm illiterate :(

trax
05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Carl Hiassen--Sick Puppy. Sorry Flavor Bear I don't think you can get one with illustrations.

Rick
05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Or to color.

klkak
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I just finished reading "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell. It is printed by Atria books. This is what is written on the back cover.

Hundreds of hardy people have tried to carve a living in the Alaskan bush, but few have succeeded as consistently as Heimo Korth. Originally form Wisconsin, Heimo traveled to the Arctic wilderness in his feverous twenties. Now, more then three decades later, Heimo lives with his wife and two daughters approximately 200 miles from civilization -- a sustainable, nomadic life bounded by the migrating caribou, the dangers of swollen rivers, and by the very exigencies of daily existence. The Korths wait patiently for a small plane to deliver their provisions, listen to distant chatter on the radio, and go sledding at 44 below zero -- all the while cultivating their hard-learned survival skills that stand between them and a terrible fate.

This is a very good book. I believe it accurately describes how hard it is to live in the bush and why there are so few people doing it.

I met Heimo once briefly a few years ago when he was in Fairbanks. This was before I read about him in the Alaska trapper magazine when he was voted "Trapper of the year". One day I would love to visit with the man. I found this book on the shelves at my local Fred Meyers. I recognized the name and bought the book. I'm glad I did.

Alpine_Sapper
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm illiterate :(

I though your parents were married?

Flavor Bear
05-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I though your parents were married?

Yeah, but they're cousins.

chiggersngrits
05-29-2008, 11:15 PM
the frist surviva type book i ever read was, How to get out of the rat race and live on $10 a month, by George and Berthe Herter. wasn't Herters a big outfitter back in the day? are they still around? i glanced through the book the other night and it seemed a little corny for the present day.

Flavor Bear
06-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm sure many of you are familiar with Back to Basics.
But I thought I should bring it to the attention of those who are not.
It's got instructions for an unbelievable amount of low-tech ways of living off the land. Shows how to build cabins with hand tools, plumbing from natural sources, in-depth gardening, as well as lots of old fashioned recipes including the best peach turnovers I have ever had.

snakeman
07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I have the SAS survival handbook. It's great but is a little bigger.

Ridge Wolf
07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I just downloaded the entire thing as the original book file. A lot easier that way. But that's illegal (I think) so I'm not gonna elaborate on it.

FM 21-76 is a U.S. government publication and is therefore public property and in the public domain.. Free to download and legal.

Canadian-guerilla
07-02-2008, 02:58 AM
while poking around a second hand book store
i picked up a SAS FlickBook (http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Flickbook-John-Wiseman/dp/0002558041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214981268&sr=8-1) for $1:50

i've taken it apart and kept about 40% of it ( plants, etc )

tonester
07-02-2008, 07:09 AM
i just got the bigger version a couple of weeks ago. it has a lot of good information. reminds me of my boyscout book haha.

Gray Wolf
07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Here is a link to the newest online version (2002) U.S Army Field Manual 3-05.70 Survival

http://www.equipped.com/fm3-0570.htm

Here is the newer (1999) Version of the MULTISERVICE PROCEDURES FOR SURVIVAL, EVASION, AND RECOVERY Manual in PDF

http://www.equipped.com/multiservice_ser_manual_1999.pdf

yukon55
07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
i have at least 40 to 50 survival books i have 2 of the sas survival books one is the one that you all are talking about and the second one is the sas desert survival book it si a good one

Capt.Canuck
07-26-2008, 04:41 PM
I have it too and agreed -a lot of useful information in a small package.

Rick
07-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I just loaded the new version of FM 21-76 (fm3-0570) to my library. If anyone wants a copy, have at.

nell67
07-27-2008, 07:03 AM
This is the copy I have of the book Rick,take it out with me whenever I go out to the woods.

ledzeppie
07-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I have one of those, got it a year ago, I've read it about 4 times now, front to back =S

The Nexus
07-28-2008, 02:51 AM
hi guys
hi guys

jameswoodsman
08-14-2008, 04:23 AM

There is also the U.S. Army Survival Field Manual 3-05.70 Printed in 2002 and you can read it free online at: http://www.survivalebooks.com/survivalfm3-0570.html

Why buy one when you can get one free and print it in a small format and take it with you.

James

Rick
08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the forum Jameswoodsman. Why not go over to the Introduction section and tell us something about yourself? We've talked about free military manuals quite a bit on here and posted a number of URLs where they can be downloaded including several in this thread.

sgtdraino
08-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Anybody familiar with these besides me? Don Paul is a retired Green Beret who writes and publishes his own books:

http://www.survival-books.com/

I first learned about them when I spotted an early version of "Everybody's Outdoor Survival Guide" in a prop photograph from ABC's Lost. I've read several of his books, and I've found them very enjoyable.

RobertRogers
08-25-2008, 08:21 AM
I bought one of his books via catalog many years ago - it was nearly worthless to me. But of course that all depends upon your level of experience and what you are looking for.

sgtdraino
08-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Do you remember which book?

In what way was it worthless? Was it all stuff you already knew?

Gray Wolf
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Here's a link of the survival (psychology) books written.

http://www.equipped.com/books.htm#survivalpsychology

italia
09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm just an average joe, and i am looking to buy a couple of good wilderness survival books. I wanted to know from you experienced people on what would be the best books to buy. I was looking on amazon.com and saw a few that i might get. SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea by John Lofty Wiseman, US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76 by Department of Defense, and Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills: Naked into the Wilderness by John McPherson and Geri McPherson. Would you recommend any of these? I have common sense when it comes to survival, but i never been in any kind of situation that calls for it. So i guess i would be a beginner. Thanks for the help :)

chiye tanka
09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I've never read any of those, so I can't answer that. Tom Brown Jr.'s books are great and Cody Lundin's 98.6 The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive was pretty good. If you look back through some of the other threads, I'm sure this topic has been covered.
By the way, don't forget to go to the intro thread and tell us about yourself, and welcome.

nell67
09-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Well done chiye tanka.

italia,using the search function on the forum will bring up some very good threads on books.

italia
09-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks, i will look into that. I did read some reviews on the 98.6 book and i was told it was more for search and rescue people, but that's just what the review said. I will checkout the intro thread too. Peace

Sarge47
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks, i will look into that. I did read some reviews on the 98.6 book and i was told it was more for search and rescue people, but that's just what the review said. I will checkout the intro thread too. Peace
Check out the blogs, here's one of mine on Cody Lundin's book, & yes, there has been many posts on this topic.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?u=296

Check it out!:cool:

crashdive123
09-26-2008, 10:50 PM
You can also download some of the publications you listed for free......and free is a very good price.

Gray Wolf
09-26-2008, 11:16 PM
A very good book is; Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why.
by Laurence Gonzales

Many of the wilderness survival schools ask you to read it.

italia
09-27-2008, 03:57 PM
cool, thanks. i'll check that one out. and yeah i know you can printout all (most) of the army manuals for free, and that is the best price :)

Riverrat
09-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I just downloaded to disk, saves paper and cheaper.

Flying Dog
09-30-2008, 03:12 AM
Amongst the various publications on first aid, campcraft, knots and Wiseman's SAS survival, in my library i have recently added Surviving the Extremes by Kamler.

Worth a read if you are into medicine and the such

BruceZed
10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Your choice of Wilderness Survival books makes a bi difference on what you are preparing to survive and what climate you actually live and travel in. Most of the good books are very specific about the geographical area that there techniques are useful in, most of the general books are very poor in comparison.

Rick
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Bruce, dang it, you gotta stop by here more often. You always offer some good insight. Right on the money.

DOGMAN
10-20-2008, 12:53 AM
"At Home in the Wilderness" by Sun Bear is a classic

atl2ptown
10-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I've read the SAS guide, and it, IMO is far to general. You should look into more specific geographically oriented books. I'm trying to find one on North Georgia now, because that is where I live.

The military survival guides are usually downloadable, which is cool. I have the FM-21 Manual in my pack, and I take it with me on all trips, because it can be folded up. This is rather old however, and the pictures are not that great. For example, the medical section is weak, and can be difficult to understand the images.

Rick
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know if you are familiar with Richard Graves but he was quite the survival expert back in the day. He authored a series of 10 books titled, oddly enough, the 10 Bushcraft Books. Here is a place where you can view them on line. If you look just below the list you can download all 10 free in a zip file.

http://tions.net/CA256EA900408BD5/vwWWW/outdoor~03~000

rebel
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks Rick.

crashdive123
10-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Another great site with good stuff - thanks.

wareagle69
10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
great job proffessor

RaymondPeter
10-27-2008, 10:11 PM
SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate

I have that book and I recommend it to anyone.

Bullet Hole
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Alot of the books mentioned here can be found on Google books if you want to check them out before buying them. Here's a link for The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive to get you started.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nrQxBfJLvtgC&dq=The+Art+of+Keeping+Your+***+Alive&pg=PP1&ots=Zo7IMHKlO6&source=bn&sig=aFrXik_EClatNq_hCfIWh_WglBA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1

crashdive123
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the link Bullet Hole. How about shootin on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

HOP
11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
As I recall naked into the wilderness was about 2 guys who went into the wods and made debre huts and cought and foraged for food but when they felt like it they would walk home (long wal of several hours and visit their girl friends and buy piza. I understand both are involved with teaching survival some where now.(SORRY WRONG BOOK WAS THINKING OF WILDERNESS SURVIVAL)

I have found any of the books by Bradford Angers to be very good if slightly dated.

nickeynova
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
i have the guide book for marines, and a army survival field manuel a few others but basically the same.

wildWoman
11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
IMO it doesn't really matter which book or how many you read unless you spend a fair amount of time practicing. Also be realistic about what "survival situation" you'll likely find yourself in - it will be in a large part determined by the equipment that you always carry with you.
So I'd look into putting together the equipment side of things first and then go from there to learn the skills supplementing the gear you have; once that is looking good, read up on extra info to be even more prepared in case you part with your survival gear. That way you don't clutter up your brain with stuff like which herb to forage for to cure snake bites, you start with what's practical to you personally and build on that.

chiye tanka
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm sure I overlooked it, but the Foxfire books are full of knowledge. I know they're not a survival guide per say, but they are IMO timeless.

ParaFish
11-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Hello,

I am a city boy who has recently reached my first mid-life crisis (I'm 25 by the way). Anyway, I have played video games / worked in an office job all my life. Recently, I got this great inspiration to try and live off the land.

I guess I became this way after realizing that I have absolutely no skills. Yes, I graduated college and yes I can push papers. But, aside from that I can't build a house, I can't find food on my own, I can't do anything manly.

I just realized recently that if it weren't for companies, corporations, and access to money; I would have absolutely no way of providing for myself and my family.

I really want to begin developing important survival skills as a sort of new hobby. I will look up information in the following weeks on the forums and such but I need a point of reference that I can begin this great adventure.

I am looking for a book that is practical and has lots of information geared toward newbie survivalist. Remember, I'm a city boy who doesn't have a clue about anything not made by mankind. Please give me your stories of how you got into this and what steps I should take to get into this to learn the skills I need.

I know I can't go walking into the woods with a machete and expect to survive like they do in the movies. I don't want my passion to go on the back burner or anything so please let me know how I can get this thing started properly.

Thanks

Sourdough
11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
There is tons of data in the threads on this forum......better than any book. Use the search mode befor asking questions, or they have a cow. O'Yea welcome.

And if you happen to be wealthy, I have a private school.

crashdive123
11-15-2008, 11:16 PM
ParaFish - good introduction. The best advice I can offer up is to take small steps. Trying to do everything at once can be overwhelming. Since you live in the city, figure out what some of the biggest threats to your survival are and start taking steps in that direction. Before you know it you'll be comfortable with your abilities.

BTW - that whole midlife crisis thing at 25:rolleyes: I've got socks as old as you.:D

Welcome to the forum.

nell67
11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
What hopeak said,the forum is loaded with information,another place to look is the elder people in your community,a wealth of under utilized information.
Since this sounds like an introduction,maybe one of the mods will move it to that forum for you.

Welcome to the wolfpack!

ericka
11-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I am a city girl and i got my start with Backwoods Home magazine. Alot of nice articles step by step instructions and they have books that i now own that helped me.

Sarge47
11-16-2008, 01:44 AM
I am a city girl and i got my start with Backwoods Home magazine. Alot of nice articles step by step instructions and they have books that i now own that helped me.
You haven't posted an intro yet. That's considered somewhat rude, please do so right away, thanks.:cool:

Sarge47
11-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Hello,

I am a city boy who has recently reached my first mid-life crisis (I'm 25 by the way). Anyway, I have played video games / worked in an office job all my life. Recently, I got this great inspiration to try and live off the land.

I guess I became this way after realizing that I have absolutely no skills. Yes, I graduated college and yes I can push papers. But, aside from that I can't build a house, I can't find food on my own, I can't do anything manly.

I just realized recently that if it weren't for companies, corporations, and access to money; I would have absolutely no way of providing for myself and my family.

I really want to begin developing important survival skills as a sort of new hobby. I will look up information in the following weeks on the forums and such but I need a point of reference that I can begin this great adventure.

I am looking for a book that is practical and has lots of information geared toward newbie survivalist. Remember, I'm a city boy who doesn't have a clue about anything not made by mankind. Please give me your stories of how you got into this and what steps I should take to get into this to learn the skills I need.

I know I can't go walking into the woods with a machete and expect to survive like they do in the movies. I don't want my passion to go on the back burner or anything so please let me know how I can get this thing started properly.

Thanks
Cody Lundin has two books that can help you. Check out the books listed on my Blog, it's a start. Next, go down to your local Scout Troop & talk to the Scoutmasters, maybe they can help. If the 1st Troop can't help, don't give up, in a big city there should be more.:cool:

klkak
11-16-2008, 02:21 AM
I've got a survival story for you.

There was this bunch of God fearing folks who were traveling to California. When they got to the Sierra Nevada mountains it was late fall. They new they should have waited till spring before crossing the mountains but decided to make a go of it anyway. Well they got snowed in high in this mountain pass. First they ran out of food so they started eating the mules and oxen. Then they ran out of the mules and oxen and started dying. So the ones that was still alive started eating the ones that died. History has given to referring to the poor folks who survived in the mountains the name: 'The Donner Party". A bit of time passed and the ones still alive were rescued and taken down out of the mountains into California. Levinah Jackson Murphy also known as Mary Murphy was one of the surviving members of the Donner Party. She married a man named Charles Covillaud and they lived on Mr. Covillauds ranch. Some years later a town was established on the Covillaud ranch. The townsfolk decided to name the new town Marysville after Charles Covillaud's wife. The area where the Donner party was stranded is now called "Donner Pass".

This of course is the short version of the story. However you can learn allot from it.

chiye tanka
11-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Para, welcome to the pack. Your first post was a good one, and all the members that have responded are full of knowledge in one field or another. Hopeak is absolutely right about the search mode. There folks here from all walks of life and all the ones I've spoke with have been full of help, just pay attention and try to soak it all in.

crashdive123
11-16-2008, 08:32 AM
ParaFish - I should have mentioned the most obvious resource. We have many members living in the same sort of environment as you that can probably help with any specific questions you may have. If you can't find the answer, ask away.

tsitenha
11-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Welcome Parafish, start your journey by taking walks around your neighborhood and extending them as the days go. Then find some quiet, green "safe" place and extend the hours of listening and getting used to nature, extend those into day hikes, day camping and so on till your are comfortable with these newer experiences. Practice your skills (fire starting, shelter making, hiking, breaking in boots or just setting up your pack, etc...) and expand then slowly as you get competent with them. Make weekend trips and get used to your gear and pare it down or add too as experience dictates.
Small incremental steps will lead to success and a better return for your efforts.

snakeman
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I i were you, para, I'd start with learning the four essentials (shelter, fire, water, food) And practicing them. As for a book, my favorite has been SAS survival handbook by Johny wiseman. and you could go to an army/navy store and they'll probably have old survival books. I got one of mine there.

wareagle69
11-16-2008, 09:12 AM
para- where abouts do you live? reason i ask is all around there are groups that get together at no cost and share ideas, this forum is a great start but sometimes it can get off track and so forth, also it can be intimidating to try to learn something like outdoor skills so overwellming where to start that some just give up, break the skills down into manageable tasks, for me one of the first would be firestarting and also a possibles bag(some call this a bug out bag but i am not an extremist more of a realist)
books ray mears has some of the best cody lundins are also good as for a magazine that use more than my books pick up a copy of wilderness way if you like it i would suggest buying all 50 some back issues about 250 dollars but better than most books and i would know i have paid a few thousand for all my books also the woodsmaster video series is also great so is chrs nygeres books and videos.
take it easy and relax we still have a bit of time before crap happens how do i know well i am good freinds with pale rider ( crashes good buddy oh by the way crash said he had socks older than you he would have said underroos but he goes commando must be a submariner thang) any how para welcome and have fun

ParaFish
11-16-2008, 10:40 AM
para- where abouts do you live? reason i ask is all around there are groups that get together at no cost and share ideas, this forum is a great start but sometimes it can get off track and so forth, also it can be intimidating to try to learn something like outdoor skills so overwellming where to start that some just give up, break the skills down into manageable tasks, for me one of the first would be firestarting and also a possibles bag(some call this a bug out bag but i am not an extremist more of a realist)
books ray mears has some of the best cody lundins are also good as for a magazine that use more than my books pick up a copy of wilderness way if you like it i would suggest buying all 50 some back issues about 250 dollars but better than most books and i would know i have paid a few thousand for all my books also the woodsmaster video series is also great so is chrs nygeres books and videos.
take it easy and relax we still have a bit of time before crap happens how do i know well i am good freinds with pale rider ( crashes good buddy oh by the way crash said he had socks older than you he would have said underroos but he goes commando must be a submariner thang) any how para welcome and have fun

My hometown is Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Actually, right now I have been teaching English in Japan for 2 years. I'll be coming home in December. I left my job after college to come out here for adventure. I'll be going back home soon and will probably have to work another computer job.

As far as books, I am looking for something very basic skill wise, lots of detailed information, yet not a snore fest to read. My wife asked me what I want for Christmas and I told her about my ideas of getting into this survival stuff.

I don't necessary want to learn how to go camping with a tent and a gas grill as much as learning how to snare animals and bow hunt (using a tradition bow; not some scoped out combat bow). Anyway, if you guys have any good recommendations as far as Christmas presents go that would be great.

By the way, this probably should be moved to introductions.

crashdive123
11-16-2008, 11:05 AM
If it's books you're looking for....how about some free ones. ADEPT posted a really good pdf search engine link a while back. Type in snaring or bow hunting and you get quite a few results. Hope it helps. http://www.pdfgeni.com/

Rick
11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow! How do I add to all of the above. You said you want to learn "manly" stuff so you might consider spending some time at the local Home Depot or Lowes when you get back to the States. Both offer free clinics on "how to's" for things around the house. Plumbing, electrical, masonry, wood working, and on and on. Money you save on do-it-yourself projects can be put toward other "manly" things like knives and weaponry. Argh, argh, argh as Tim the Tool Man would say. It can also be spent on other items for the outdoors as well.

You can spend some time hiking and backpacking in local state parks/forests and begin to build a knowledge base based on some truly fun things. I'm sure your wife wouldn't be upset at all to watch the sun set from the crest of a mountain or help you identify wild flowers you both found at the base of a hill beside a clear stream.

Knowledge is knowledge and it all can be put to good use if something decidely bad happens. Storms or chemical spills or factory fire can offer some urban challenges that are quite different and/or not experienced by our back country bretheren. Even a meth lab can put you out of your home while the local PD cleans up the mess. Knowing what to do, where to go and what to take with you can be the difference between an inconvenience and a terrible time. Even life threatening if you have forgotten important medications.

Welcome to the forum, use the search engine to look up things and ask questions if you can't find the answer. That's how we all learn.

huntermj
11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Good advise Remy.

Sarge47
11-16-2008, 03:26 PM
If you haven't already done so, one of the 1st things I suggest you look into after you get settled in is a good 1st Aid course, including CPR. Too many people think that bad things can't happen to them when the truth is they can & oft-times do. This is PRIORITY ONE in my book as it can often be the best way to save a life....maybe even your own.:cool:

Rick
11-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Ooh. Amen to that, Sarge. Good advice! Tack on AED training, too. You can usually find combination classes of all three for one price at your local hospital or Red Cross.

Sarge47
11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Man! I hate to do this, but I have to agree with Remy as well! Even so, 1st Aid is STILL #1!!!! (Goes and washes his mouth out with Lye soap.):rolleyes:

wareagle69
11-16-2008, 03:44 PM
also being a computer feller i'm sure you are familair with google just type in a key word such as firestarting or primitve fire skills or starting a fire w/o matches or natural navigation( ifn ya do that a great article by my mentor will come up)

dbldrew
11-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Check out your local college to see if they offer outdoor field studies. For instance I just checked College of Dupage a local jr college that offers a bunch of outdoor classes
http://www.cod.edu/academic/field/courses.htm

Introduction to Outdoor Pursuits
Camping: Learning the Basics
Backpacking: Springtime in the Shawnee
Backpacking: Utah's Canyon Country
Canoeing: The Boundary Waters
Canoeing on the Blue River
Fly Fishing Workshop
Fly Fishing Adventure
Wilderness First Aid and CPR: Solo Certification
Wilderness Survival Skills
Winter Hiking in Our State Parks

Now your local college might not offer an actual wilderness survival class, (I’m completely surprised my local one did, I might have to check that out) but it if they offer some of the basic camping, backpacking and fishing classes it will be worth it for you just to get used to getting out into the woods. Most people who start looking into wilderness survival are already “outdoor” people, they camp, hunt, fish, etc. So getting started with the very basics would be a good place to start.

trax
11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the wolfpack para (and ericka too) I'm surprised Sarge wasn't the first one all over this, but if you want to start with basics, I'm not kidding here dude, get a Boy Scout's handbook. Tack on the 1st Aid and some of the "how-to" workshops that Rick was talking about and you're on your way.

You're going to find that most stuff you want to learn is common sense, relative to the environment you're dealing with (wilderness or urban)

chiye tanka
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Man! I hate to do this, but I have to agree with Remy as well! Even so, 1st Aid is STILL #1!!!! (Goes and washes his mouth out with Lye soap.):rolleyes:

That hurt, didn't it Sarge.:D

Sarge47
11-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the wolfpack para (and ericka too) I'm surprised Sarge wasn't the first one all over this, but if you want to start with basics, I'm not kidding here dude, get a Boy Scout's handbook. Tack on the 1st Aid and some of the "how-to" workshops that Rick was talking about and you're on your way.

You're going to find that most stuff you want to learn is common sense, relative to the environment you're dealing with (wilderness or urban)
The older Handbooks are the best. Trax, as my pupil you get an "A"!:D

Rick
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
A? Man, that guy sucks up to everyone. First Nell then Old Coot and now you. The next thing you know he'll want to bum some of my twinkies.

AVENGED
11-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Among Other Books I Have. I Always Have "Edible Wild Plants And Herbs: A Pocket Guide" By Alan M. Cvancara And A Regional Animal Book With Me When I Go Out. The Animal Book Has A Picture, Tracks, And Strides For Each Animal In The Local Area. I Also Keep A "Rite In The Rain" Note Book With Me.

Aurelius95
11-18-2008, 07:53 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, when I graduated college, I spent a year teaching English in Japan. What an experience! Thirdly, I didn't start camping/spending time outdoors until I was almost 30 years old. I didn't grow up with a family that spent much time outdoors, other than fishing or playing baseball. When my son was about 3, I thought it would be fun to take him camping, but I had no gear. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. There was a sale at Dick's Sporting Goods where I bought a 9x7 tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 not so qualility sleeping pads, a couple of flashlights, and off we went. We stayed at a campground. You mentioned in your post that you don't want to do the "camping" thing with grills and electricity, etc., but I'd suggest you do it once. Even setting up your tent for the first time can be an experience.

Do an internet search of trails in your area and go hiking. Just being outdoors you will learn things you didn't normally consider.

Of course, this forum is filled with a lot of information. There are tons of other sites out there. Best of luck. Gambatte Kudasai

trax
11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
A? Man, that guy sucks up to everyone. First Nell then Old Coot and now you. The next thing you know he'll want to bum some of my twinkies.

Oh stop pouting, muffin. A quick correction here...that guy sucks up to everyone except Rick, feel better now? You just wish you'd come up with my answer is all this is.

Reiver
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
parafish - I think the very best book I could recommend to you is:
John 'Lofty' Wiseman's
New Edition of SAS Survival Handbook
from Collins Publishers.
ISBN: 978-0-00-715899-7
RRP: US$24.95

As far as I'm concerned it's a must-have. Cheers, Reiver

mcfd45
11-19-2008, 11:25 AM
parafish - I think the very best book I could recommend to you is:
John 'Lofty' Wiseman's
New Edition of SAS Survival Handbook
from Collins Publishers.
ISBN: 978-0-00-715899-7
RRP: US$24.95

As far as I'm concerned it's a must-have. Cheers, Reiver

I have to agree with you on this one. This book is in my lil kit I am working on right now. It has a COLOR (whippee) section showing plants and animals. It also has a lot of information packed into it. Welcome to the forum.
Jeff

wildWoman
11-19-2008, 04:53 PM
A great way to learn heaps of homesteading skills, which it seems you're also interested in, is to go woofing www.wwoof.org. You stay with people who have a small farm, homestead or whatever, there's also people listed in remote areas who can probably teach you some "survival skills".

In exchange for working a few hours a day and learning new skills, you get free food and accommodation and can pick people's brains. The listing details what sort of set-up people have, what kind of skills you can hope to pick up (ie cabin building, bee keeping, growing fruit trees, raising horses etc etc etc). It's an international organization, so it's also an awesome way of travelling and meeting the local people. But there's heaps of places in the States, you should be able to find something in your area. Much better than sitting down with a book. It's really great, that's how I learned how to use a chainsaw and some rudimentary building skills.

I also wrote a blog on here about one way that works and makes sense for moving out into the country or bush, you can go and read that.

Rick
11-19-2008, 07:28 PM
You know, WW, you always come up with great ideas. I would guess (that's all it is) that if you have an Amish (or similar) group near you that you could volunteer some time on the week-ends. The amount of knowledge you'd acquire would be pretty incredible since they rely on the "old ways" of doing things.

Gray Wolf
11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Here is the Canadian Boy Scout Manual in a pdf download file.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/canadianscoutmanual.pdf

Here is a great Survival Training Manual in the same format called AIDS TO SURVIVAL
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/aids22.pdf

It's from the Western Australia POLICE ACADEMY COMMAND & LAND OPERATIONS UNIT. It covers many survival techniques.
The Command & Land Operations Unit was introduced to provide members of the Western Australia Police Service with the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out their duties in outback Western Australia and to enable them to co-ordinate or participate in emergency operations and advise on outback safety.

Check this link, it has all sorts of training manuals, the above and many more. It includes The US Army Survival Manual, all the manuals can be downloaded.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4344

wareagle69
11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
i still say the best book is the one you make from google or what have you too many books go into to many different climate zones which i do not need to study at this time, comcentrate on the basics master them and own them then worry about what they do in australia, if your planning on going there then by all means study that terrain but other than that study your climate zone

Gray Wolf
11-19-2008, 10:08 PM
WE, if you read or even looked at the AIDS TO SURVIVAL, you would have seen most of the information is basic and can be used anywhere. You really should take a look see.

Reiver
11-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Thankya much. :D

wareagle69
11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
i agree, cpr is cpr no matter where in the world you use it my point is that i am not going to pay for a book that is 50 percent based on survival elsewhere i want geographic specific, (alas i figured this out after my inital craze a few years ago of oh look a new survival book lets buy it) now i have some books i have not refered to in years for that very reason

Gray Wolf
11-21-2008, 08:26 PM
WE, all those manuals in that link are free (in pdf files), just download and read any time you want to. And the one called AIDS TO SURVIVAL is more than 80% based on survival elsewhere.

wareagle69
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
well thats my point why do i want to read on survival else where i have enough to focus on here. i do not travel and if i did it would be in the boreal forest in which i live

Gray Wolf
11-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Sorry WE, I meant; AIDS TO SURVIVAL is more than 80% based on survival anywhere...

wareagle69
11-21-2008, 09:25 PM
ok that might help i will check it out since i respect and value your advice and opinions

samfranklin
11-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Collines Gems SAS Survival Guide

crashdive123
11-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Deja vu all over again.

ragin_cajun
11-27-2008, 12:47 AM
My hometown is Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Actually, right now I have been teaching English in Japan for 2 years. I'll be coming home in December. I left my job after college to come out here for adventure. I'll be going back home soon and will probably have to work another computer job.

Dude!!!! You live less very close to one of the most pristine natural environments in the US, teaming with fish, wildlife, lumber, and mild winters--the ATCHAFALAYA BASIN. When you get back home, buy a flat bottom boat with a trolling motor, a GPS, and start exploring. Get a camp in the swamp. Start hunting and fishing like everybody else in South Louisiana. Start camping in the swamp, and just get more and more primitive. If you have to survive, boil water and eat gators/nutria/fish. Deer everywhere. Read books about tropical medicine, because survival here is the easy part. Staying healthy would be the hard part.

crashdive123
11-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow! All kinds of advice and information in your first post. How about heading over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.

Rick
11-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Gators? See? That just screams "Stay out of the swamp!"

cajun swamp hunter
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Rick when I hear gators what I hear is grease popping on the stove and the smell of fresh gator cooking to a nice golden brown. Équipez qui est consommation d'un certain bon

primeelite
12-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I am with you on the picking up survival as a hobby as I enjoy hiking, camping, and the whole deal too. Glad to see all of the help her and recommendations for books, etc.

mcfd45
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Me and Sam went book shopping last week and I found and AMAZING book. The title is "The Urban Homestead, Your Guide To Self-suffiecent Living in the Heart of the City" It is by a husband and wife team that lives in Los Angeles. It has some cool projects and advice. It has some humor to it, the writer often worries about zombie invasions. The next book in the series is called "Prepare Now" It is about preparing for any sort of disaster. I plan to get that next trip to the bookstore. If it is anything like the last I will enjoy it.

So what books have you guys (and gals) found to be helpful, preparedness wise. There already is a thread on survival books.
Jeff

trooper
01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I got an interesting book called "Zombie Survival: 101 ways to survive the living the dead." not a bad read but kinda dull... lol.

endurance
01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Deep Survival: Who live, who dies, and why by Laurence Gonzales The best book I've ever picked up on the subject of the psychology of survival (and my BA is in Psych). If nothing else, browse the 12 Rules of Survival on Gonzales' website (link) (http://www.deepsurvival.com/). The book is well crafted, enjoyable to read (he's a great story teller, especially if you pick it up on audiobook) and has researched the topic thoroughly. Avoid his latest book, Everyday Survival, it's a waste of paper, IMHO.

If you work in the urban jungle and fear the world coming around you and want some of the lessons learned from 9/11 burned into your soul, then The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why by Amanda Ripley is another well researched book on the psychology of survival. While I do think she gives a little too much away to luck, her collection of stories and research on disaster survival is compelling and up to date. It covers everything from why people stayed in New Orleans during the Katrina to the Morgan Stanley security guard who saved thousands of lives in the WTC on 9/11.

A World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler is a new novel that tells the story of a small upstate New York town 15 years after the global economic, political, and social collapse following Peak Oil and a number of related disasters. There's no question from the first page that the author has done his homework in researching our societies vulnerabilities and what technology with fail and survive after the grid goes down. Frankly, the book should scare the hell out of you because he's so right on. While he goes in some directions that are a little funky in places, the overarching story is compelling and a page turner that will keep you up late at night to get to the next chapter.

ride_gnu
01-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I am reading right now, Walden by Thoreau. So far (about half way through) the physical survival has been extremely minimal. It focuses more on the need to escape and survive and the reason to do it. Survival may be tough, but not near as tough as shattering the shackles that hold us to society.

SurvivorMan002
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Ive been reading Tom Brown's Field Guide wilderness survival.It's a great book to read and learn from but, it was written in 1983. I wanted to get a few more Survival books to read but, alittle more up to date. So if anyone has any suggestions on some good books i would love to know about them.

SurvivorMan002
01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
...and i saw Les Stroud has a new book out. Anyone get a chance to look at it?

Aurelius95
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Just finished a book called, Blood Riveer, by Timothy Butcher. He is a journalist who covered many war-torn areas, but became obsessed with The Congo. His intent was to follow the route that Stanley took charting the Congo River back in the 1870's. Butcher made his trek in 2004, published the book in 2008. It's crazy to see how bad off the Congo has become.

This is not a survival story, and no doubt this guy took chances and could have wound up dead by a rogue bullet. However, it's a pretty good read.

SARKY
01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
You asked for it so here is my list:
1: Nature Bound, pocket field guide: Ron Dawson
ISBN 0-9609776-7-8
this a great pocket book that should be a part of your kit!
2: Camping & Wilderness Survival: Paul Tawrell
ISBN 1-896713-00-9
well writen and covers most of what you need to know
3: The SAS Survival Handbook: John Wiseman
ISBN 0-00-217185-6
There are probably a couple of others that I am forgetting right now.

endurance
01-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I am reading right now, Walden by Thoreau. So far (about half way through) the physical survival has been extremely minimal. It focuses more on the need to escape and survive and the reason to do it. Survival may be tough, but not near as tough as shattering the shackles that hold us to society.
Great book! I took an entire semester-long course on Thoreau in college and was amazed at how many layers each paragraph contains. He was an incredible author, but I would agree; it's not so much about physical survival as about coming to terms with society through learning to view it from the outside.

doug1980
01-13-2009, 10:10 PM
...and i saw Les Stroud has a new book out. Anyone get a chance to look at it?

I just finished his book and thought it was really good. Lots of good info.

RBB
01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
I just finished reading "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell. It is printed by Atria books. This is what is written on the back cover.

Hundreds of hardy people have tried to carve a living in the Alaskan bush, but few have succeeded as consistently as Heimo Korth. Originally form Wisconsin, Heimo traveled to the Arctic wilderness in his feverous twenties. Now, more then three decades later, Heimo lives with his wife and two daughters approximately 200 miles from civilization -- a sustainable, nomadic life bounded by the migrating caribou, the dangers of swollen rivers, and by the very exigencies of daily existence. The Korths wait patiently for a small plane to deliver their provisions, listen to distant chatter on the radio, and go sledding at 44 below zero -- all the while cultivating their hard-learned survival skills that stand between them and a terrible fate.

This is a very good book. I believe it accurately describes how hard it is to live in the bush and why there are so few people doing it.

I met Heimo once briefly a few years ago when he was in Fairbanks. This was before I read about him in the Alaska trapper magazine when he was voted "Trapper of the year". One day I would love to visit with the man. I found this book on the shelves at my local Fred Meyers. I recognized the name and bought the book. I'm glad I did.

Excellent book!

RBB
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
the frist surviva type book i ever read was, How to get out of the rat race and live on $10 a month, by George and Berthe Herter. wasn't Herters a big outfitter back in the day? are they still around? i glanced through the book the other night and it seemed a little corny for the present day.

Yah, they were something. Lived in Minnesota somewhere. The whole thing was a fraud. Herters lived in a mansion - kids had a nanny and were chauffeured to private school.

Sarge47
01-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Okay, now any books you can think of go in here!:D

laughing beetle
01-13-2009, 11:55 PM
The Stand, by Steven King. Good survival book. In a supernatural, superflu kind of way.

wareagle69
01-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Okay, now any books you can think of go in here!:D

playboy, penthouse:D:D

Aurelius95
01-14-2009, 07:36 AM
I got up this morning, and look to see a new sticky. Thanks, Sarge!

Sarge47
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I got up this morning, and look to see a new sticky. Thanks, Sarge!
Crash deserves some of the credit also, he was a big help!:cool:

Aurelius95
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Any of you Alaskans out there ever hear of this guy? He's a boat guide out of Juneau and he wrote a book back in 2002. I really enjoyed it. Here is an excerpt regarding his survival gear.

My emergency kit, or “uh-oh” bag, was a waterproof neoprene bag of the sort used by kayakers to keep gear and clothing dry. It contained a battery powered handheld marine radio, waterproof matches, 3 plastic film canisters filled with Vaseline and cotton, a plumber’s candle, a flashlight, bouillon cubes, half a dozen chocolate bars, a 12 gauge pistol that fired parachute flares and smoke signals, and a coil of braided steel wire for making small animal snares. There was also an assortment of fishing lures and line, but I have never been a very competent sport fisherman and would be in serious straits if my survival or that of my clients ever depended on my ability to outwit a trout.

The uh-oh bag was wrapped in a large blanket of metallic heat reflecting foil and stuffed into a watertight canister made from a military surplus .50-caliber ammunition can. A sturdy box of first aid supplies went in last, ad the lid of the can was wired and clamped shut to form an unsinkable, hermetically sealed container.

In addition to his uh-oh bag, Schooler had a mustang suit (survival suit for frigid water), a compass and laminated topo map, and tide book. His other gear consisted of warm clothes, boots, sleeping bag, tent, rifle and camera gear.

Have any of you, especially those in Alaska, ever met Lynn Schooler or read his book?

Sourdough
01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
I have never met him, however I have read the book.

wildWoman
01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I have read the book too, I also liked it but found it very sad.

Whiteyford1976
05-06-2009, 06:33 AM
A few months ago i happened on a website that has a large list of PDF form military manuals. Most of these have no bearing on the discussion but it was easier to link the whole page, hope you find it useful.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/

mcfd45
06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I just picked up a book called "Patriots" by James rawles. I just started it, got 4 pages in before I had to go back to work.

Trouble
07-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyone heard of the book Wilderness Survival for dummies? I´m thinking of buying it.

crashdive123
07-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Here ya go. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7656&highlight=wilderness+survival+dummies

Tundrascout
07-16-2009, 01:02 AM
One of my recent favorite books - Crazy White Man (http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-White-Man-Richard-Morenus/product-reviews/B0007CC3PG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)
It is currently out of print, but there are still some around ;)

Trouble
07-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Here ya go. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7656&highlight=wilderness+survival+dummies
Why thank you, kind sir.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
One book that I haven't seen and IMO is one of the best for the western US specifically and the US generally is Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen. If you can master the skills in this you should be able to survive in most of the US with nothing but the clothes on your back. It is regionally based around Utah I believe and is kinda' Plant specific for that region.

Okwaho
08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I have the SAS survival handbook. It's great but is a little bigger.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=142667#post142667

Ghost
08-14-2009, 01:41 AM
A lot of good books in this torrent:
(http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4457384/Survival_Books_Collection-_Update__2)

laughingbeetle
08-14-2009, 02:13 AM
that link was carp.:nono:

Ghost
08-14-2009, 04:00 AM

works for me. Let me know if anyone else has the same problem.

Sarge47
08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
that link was carp.:nono:Are you referring to the fish? :cool2:

Jonesy
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Because it had pirated books that infringe copyrights as well as illegal software issues??? or something else?

My AV says they are bandits and don't go there.

Ghost
08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Because it had pirated books that infringe copyrights as well as illegal software issues??? or something else?

My AV says they are bandits and don't go there.

Its true. Its your choice if you want to download it. Im just sharing.

Sarge47
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Why would you want to share that sort of thing? I took the link to the illeagal site off of the thread, please do not re-post it. :cool2:

Ken
08-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Why would you want to share that sort of thing? I took the link to the illeagal site off of the thread, please do not re-post it. :cool2:

DON'T DISCOURAGE HIM!!!! :sneaky2: I call it "job security!" :innocent:

Ghost
08-15-2009, 07:06 PM
DON'T DISCOURAGE HIM!!!! :sneaky2: I call it "job security!" :innocent:

LOL. Nice one Ken.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Ok heres' some books I just ordered and should recieve them sometime this week. Kinda' curious as to what ya'll think some I know OSS by l.d. Olsen and the peterson guides.
The traditional bowyers bible
Wilderness living by Gregory J Davenport
Primitive Technology: a book of Earth Skills by David Wescott
Wilderness Survival also by G J Davenport
Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen
and 2 Petersons guides edible wild plants and medicinal plants

Rick
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, I think the Peterson guide is the only one on the list I have and I really like it.

You might also stop by Border's or similar and look for the Pocket Naturalist. Medicinal Plants is one and Edible Wild Plants is the other. Both are laminated and multi-fold. They fit in your pocket and are easy to take with you to the field. $5.95 each is the price listed on mine. I've had them for a couple of years.

crashdive123
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a good list. The two Petersons Field Guides that you list I do own (along with Venomous Animals and Poisonous Plants). The rest I do not own.

Jonesy
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I just picked up a used copy of Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen. It looks like a good read. My copy is paperback and fairly old but still complete.

I also picked up a book called Water Fit to Drink by Carol Keough. It has a a lot of information about pre 1980's water contamination problems and continues with details of how to make it safe for drinking. There is a lot of in depth detail how water reacts to different treatments and what is safe. I bought it mainly for the section that details how to make home built water filter systems but I am finding it to be an exhaustive work about water that is easy to read and understand. I admit I am a little different in that I actually enjoy reading technical books. :online2long: So for some it may be the cure for insomnia.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Jonesy , As far as I'm concerned you have one of the best Survival books written,as far as size to information ratio. I had one a long time ago (back in the 70's) and there were none better then. Granted it is oriented a little more toward the western US as far as plants is concerned, but some grow all over the US. Larry Dean Olsen was the technical advisor to "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford. If I had to choose just one book that would be the one to go in my BOB. On the other hand ask me in a couple of weeks after I have a chance to read the ones I just ordered. My opinion could change(It has before).

Jonesy
08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Poco,

I picked the Olsen book up thumbed through it and thought it looked jammed full of good info. It didn't occur to me why Robert Redfords name was on the cover until you mentioned Jeremiah Johnson. :)

I really want to know what you think about the Primitive Tech book. It sounds interesting.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Poco,

I picked the Olsen book up thumbed through it and thought it looked jammed full of good info. It didn't occur to me why Robert Redfords name was on the cover until you mentioned Jeremiah Johnson. :)

I really want to know what you think about the Primitive Tech book. It sounds interesting.

Yeah, that's why Robert Redford did the foreword in it. Have you had a chance to read any of it yet? L.D. Olsen was a professor at BYU and actually had a survival course there as part of the "Youth Development" course of study. He would take the class on a 30 day "Final Exam" they were only allowed to bring minimal Equipment, anything not allowed was confiscated.
I am so impatient to get my books!! They should arrive either today or tomorrow. I think My Ontario 12" Machete should arrive today as well. Don't know when the other stuff I have ordered will get here. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas Morning!!! The next few days it will be package after package. Sorry that I can't contain my Excitement.

pocomoonskyeyes
08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Here's the rundown on a "flip through" of books, just scanning and looking at Chapters, illustrations, pics, and other stuff you can see "at a glance".
Traditional Bowyer's Bible Volume One- Looks to be one of the best books I've ever seen on making your own bow, arrows and accessories. Jammed full of info from cover to cover!!! Super pleased with this book "at a glance".
Primitive Technology A Book Of Earth Skills This is another excellent book and well worth the money! A must have for the primitive techies!
Wilderness Living by Gregory J Davenport This Looks to be another good score and worth the money but I'm not as thrilled with it as I am the first two
Wilderness Survival by the same author as above This looks to be a fairly good introductory book as it covers many different things including signaling and of the four is the least thrilling. It reminds me of the Army Survival Manual. I've always considered the Army Survival Manual to be introductory. It covers the basics and is good enough to keep you alive until rescued,but not detailed enough to sustain you for an extended survival scenario.

The remaining Three books are books I have previously owned and they are good or I would not waste the money on them. They are books I consider BOB books.

Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen Honestly this is the third of his book I have Owned.The first was stolen,the second was lost in a move. I knew what I was getting when I bought it. This is one book I will ALWAYS ENSURE is in my Library when it comes to Survival Skills. It is 2/3rds the thickness of Davenports Survival book and If I had to depend on just one book this is the one I Depend on to survive for any length of survival. Whether it is a weekend or several months. This book has more dependable knowledge than any of the "Survival" books I now own. I say this caused I've
The last two in my shipment are both Peterson's guides. Both concern plants only.they cover the Eastern/Central region of the CONtinental United States or CONUS. (Also known as the lower 48)
AS I mentioned earlier both are books I have previously owned and will make sure they are in my library. They are:
Edible Wild Plants by Lee Allen Peterson I like this book it is pretty good as are all the Peterson Guides that I have read. It is mostly artists renditions (drawings) with color plates in the center of the book. It uses symbols to tell you at a glance what the plant can be used for or even if it is poisonous.
Last but by no means least, Medicinal Plants and Herbs by Steven Foster and James Duke I'm glad I lost my first copy and here's why. It has been completely revised and it now has Photos instead of artists renditions, a vast improvement. This book I bought for all the obvious reasons.

notlost
08-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Olsen first actually got me out there. How about "Bushcraft" by Richard Graves, I don't think I saw that yet on the list, very informative'
On the "living it side" how about "Undaunted Courage", Stephen Ambrose exillent book on Lewis and Clark,also , Craig Childs Books such as "House of Dawn", Childs know the four corners back country on a very personal level, "The Way Out", also by Childs is a hell of a good read about him and an ex-cop friend finding their way through a canyon maze area in Az.. A man named Stephen Graham wrote a lot about tramping around in the early decades of the 20th century. And A man named Aurel Stein did some remote travel in central Asia in the 19th. and early 20th. century, theres a lot about him on the net. Not all of this was survival stuff, but yeah it really was.
Peace

pocomoonskyeyes
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Time for me to eat Crow.... OK after looking at Gregory Davenports book Wilderness Survival it is better than what I had originally thought. Although I still would classify it as introductory,it is better than I had thought when "Glancing through it". Just goes to show the old adage "Don't judge a book by it's cover (or when flipping through it), Is as true today as it was when it was coined!!
I have to add the rest of the pics here...

wildWoman
09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Just started "Mind of the Raven - Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds" by Bernd Heinrich and am already totally smitten.

A must for all raven lovers and those interested in animal-people communication.

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Just picked up "The Wilderness of Denali" by: Charles Sheldon which records his 1906 1907 1908 time on Mt. McKinley in a wall tent. This will be my fifth or sixth reading.......it is a goood book.

Also picked up:"ALASKA NELLIE" by: Nellie Neal Lawing My vote for the second greatest woman that ever lived. This will be my fourth reading. She was a true explorer and pioneer. And one hell'of a Woman.

"The frozen Realm" by: Kenneth C. Wirz

"Rainbow to the Storms" by: McDaniel

"On Distance and Recall by" Ruben Gaines

"MORE Collected Verse" by: Robert Service

All came from the Library.....but I have a good'old boy no time limit.....bring them back someday arrangement

wildWoman
09-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Will have to see if I can score the first two! So who's the greatest woman that ever lived, then?? Hey, you don't happen to mean my grandma?!

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Will have to see if I can score the first two! So who's the greatest woman that ever lived, then?? Hey, you don't happen to mean my grandma?!

No....Evelyn Berglund Shore "Born on Snowshoes"......the woman was pure grit. Running a trap line at -60* below, while pregnant, and pulling a sled with a 18 month old child and a six month old child in the sled. harvesting the catch, the line was three days out and a day back.

The 6'X6' wall tents on the line would only heat to -30* below inside when it was -62* outside. She was a crack shot with a 30-40 Craig.....this was 1915 Alaska, about 60 miles above Fort Yukon. Any man that thinks he is a BAD'A$$ should read that book. What is interesting, is that she knew no other life. She was born there, and she and her sister were slave's to their parents. I have only read it twice, once the first edition....and once the reprint.

Note: Wildwoman and Nell are tops on my wonder'woman list for modern day Ladies.

wildWoman
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow...yeah they don't make 'em like that anymore.

And I can't speak for Nell but I'd probably be off your wonder-woman list pretty quick if you met me in person ;-)

LudwigVan
09-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Gee, funny that nobody has mentioned the SAS Survival Guide yet! :rolleyes:

I recently read Tappan on Survival. It's quite a bit dated in the technology area (hard to beleive guns were ever that cheap, and he's complaining about thier cost!) and it's got that old "they're gonna nuke us any second now" cold war perspective, but as long as you keep in mind that it was written in the 70's, I still think Mel offers some good tips that are still applicable.

Has anyone here read The Freedom Outlaw's Handbook by Claire Wolfe? That's a good one.

crashdive123
09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Atlas Shrugged.

Rick
09-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Trust me. You haven't seen his list.....

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2008/12/donatella-versace-bikini.jpg

LudwigVan
09-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged.

This. And The Fountainhead.

tonester
09-15-2009, 12:37 AM
i picked up The Adventures of Tom Sawyer again. last time i read it was in high school. i really like the book, so thought i give it another read.

Harvey Wireman
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged.

Be John Galt or end up Eddie Willers. Great book.

Lorna
10-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm reading Where There's No Doctor.

tacticalguy
10-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm now reading the Zombie Survival Guide.....

sgtbigdog74
12-23-2009, 05:06 AM
I could use another copy if you still have it.

Sarge47
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
...of books that should be on your shelf: :cool2:

rwc1969
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Man, I wish I'da kept my old Boy scout book.

Mtnman Mike
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM

I also have a very interesting book in PDF format which I think people would have to email me and I would have to send it by email for any to get it.

The book is called "The $50 and Up Underground House Book" by Mike Oehler

I stayed almost two months with Mike O on his forty acre place in N Idaho in 1986 helping him plant a garden, cut, split and stack a year' worth of firewood and digging a fallout shelter in his larger $2,000 underground house.

Not sure if he is even alive anymore, maybe anyone near Bonners Ferry, Idaho knows?

TheSunling
01-10-2010, 05:38 AM
So with what you all were saying I gathered a list on what books I'm looking at buying, here is my amazon list so far . .

SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea by John Wiseman

SAS Survival Guide Handbook by John Wiseman

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive by Cody Lundin

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales

Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival​Skills: Naked into the Wilderness by John McPherson

The Complete Tracker by Len McDougall

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey by Richard Proenneke, Sam Keith

Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book by Paul Tawrell

Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills by David Wescott

I also added the the film Alone in the Wilderness directed by Dick Proenneke.

I also created another list with Neil Gaiman, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain and a few others. . . books like, The Sun Also Rises, Neverwhere: A Novel, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Call of the Wild, The Stand by Stephen King, and so on.

Any other I should add on to this list?

crashdive123
01-10-2010, 08:24 AM
For what you are seeking I would add a few others that are more instructional/informational in nature. A few books on edible and medicinal plants, a book titled Back To Basics - A Complete Guide To Traditional Skills It covers buying and working land, generating your own energy, raising livestock, gardening, different skills that are useful.

TheSunling
01-10-2010, 10:24 AM
A few books on edible and medicinal plants

Thanks crash I added a couple more books from what you said

Discovering Wild Plants: Alaska, Western Canada, The Northwest by Janice Schofield Eaton

North American Mushrooms: A Field Guide to Edible and Inedible Fungi by Orson K. Miller

A Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians (Peterson Field Guide Series) by Robert C. Stebbins

rwc1969
01-10-2010, 11:03 PM
That's an excellent mushroom book, but I'd get a couple more if i were going to seriously try to ID and eat them. National Audubon Society has a "field guide to north american mushrooms", very good book. And, for your area or perhaps a little north of you, "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora is an excellent book. He has a few books I believe and most are focused in California.

Also, I'd look into a tree ID book. If you know your trees and their habitats it goes along way into finding shrooms, plants, animals, shelter, cordage, containers, fire starting material, food, etc. My tree books are all focused in or around Michigan.

Larry Dean Olsen has a book "outdoor survival skills". It has a Western USA focus. It's a pretty good book. I don't know that it teaches precise survival skills in detail, but the stories and insight he gives make it well worth reading.

TheSunling
01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Much thanks rwc, I've added . .

Trees of North America: A Guide to Field Identification by C. Frank Brockman

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms by Gary Lincoff

Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora

Nature of Southeast Alaska: A Guide to Plants, Animals, and Habitats by Robert H. Armstrong, Rita M. O'Clair

Alot of reading to do . . . :online2long: already 16 books.

Beo
01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
I have the Tom Brown Jr. collection on Wilderness Survival, Tracking, and Plants. I also have my Ranger Handbook and the SF Survival Guide.
Currently reading "Through So Many Dangers the Memoir's of Robert Kirkland" he was a 42nd Highland Regiment Soldier throughout the French & Indian War and was even a captive, he tells of his survival for several weeks in wilderness of the Ohio Country.
Also the Journal of Major Robert Rogers is a great source for survival skills the old fashioned way.
Also I have Survival Skills of the North American Indians Second Edition by Peter Goodchild, a great read.
Also Survival Arts of the Primitive Paiutes by Margaret M. Wheat
and one of my favorites The Tracker's Field Guide: A Comprehensive Field Guide for Tracking in the United States by James C. Lowery
and Tactical Tracking Operations: The Essential Guide for Military and Police Tracker by David Scott-Donelan.

Just a few of my collection and favorites.

Beo,

Sourdough
02-08-2010, 02:19 AM
Dogman, You might like a book: Shadows on the Koyukuk. It is about the Huntington brothers, they were dog mushers. It has several survival events that are painful to read but documented. For any members who think there is a line as to what they would eat or do, it is a painful revealing account of suffering and hardship few have ever known.

Sourdough
02-08-2010, 02:19 AM
Dogman, You might like a book: Shadows on the Koyukuk. It is about the Huntington brothers, they were dog mushers. It has several survival events that are painful to read but documented. For any members who think there is a line as to what they would eat or do, it is a painful revealing account of suffering and hardship few have ever known.

klkak
02-08-2010, 02:28 AM
You might also like "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

It is the story of Heimo Korth and His Family, who lives more remotely than any other person in Alaska" as one of only seven hunter-trappers with a permit to live in the 19.5-million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Korth lives with his wife and two daughters 130 miles above the Arctic Circle.

klkak
02-08-2010, 02:28 AM
You might also like "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

It is the story of Heimo Korth and His Family, who lives more remotely than any other person in Alaska" as one of only seven hunter-trappers with a permit to live in the 19.5-million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Korth lives with his wife and two daughters 130 miles above the Arctic Circle.

Sourdough
02-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Other great books of that period: "Born on Snowshoes", by: Evelyn Berkland Shore.....a great read for women. She might have been the toughest human to ever live. Great read.

Many of the characters that Jack London fictionalized were real people who's factual accounts are in "Kantishna" by: Tom Walker (Lots of Dog Mushing in that book) It is the natural sequel to Burning Daylight

klkak
02-09-2010, 12:36 AM
I just read this entire sticky...now when I blink my eyes I see the words:

"Army Field Manual"

Mischief
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Artic Homestead by Norma Cobb & Charles W Sasser
Mushing

My lead dog was a lesbian by Brian Patrick O'Donoghue
AAAA**** Yukon Alone By John Balzar " The worlds toughest adventure race" Great read

Trabitha
02-12-2010, 08:12 PM
We've always used John Wiseman's "The SAS Survival Handbook". It has a lot more in it than the book issued to him in the military...that's for sure. We were told by a friend to get "How to Survive Anything, Anywhere" by Chris McNab...but honestly it's just a rip-off of Wiseman's book...and isn't remotely as detailed.

I went out a few weeks ago and got the Peterson Field Guides Edible Wild Plants for Eastern/Central North America by Lee Allen Peterson.
It's...okay. Lots of great information...no medicinal or VERY little. Most of the pictures of the plants are drawings...and as many of you know...that just doesn't cut it when you aren't sure what they look like. It's not a BAD purchase...I'm getting a lot of knowledge from it...but it's not the BEST purchase. I knew most of the plants listed...

welderguy
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I recently read The zombie survival guide by Max Brooks, There is actually a lot of good survival info in a fun read.

Trabitha
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I recently read The zombie survival guide by Max Brooks, There is actually a lot of good survival info in a fun read.

Yep!!! If I have one unrealistic fear...it would be a zombie attack!! (man...those things are gross, can run, and EAT YOU!! Who wouldn't find that to be a bit more than freaky??) I shall have to obtain this book for my library so I may be prepared for the inevitable attack! Thank you Welderguy! :D

welderguy
02-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Your welcome Trabitha

red lake
02-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I finished a book by Joseph Boyden called Three Day Road

About two natives from Northern Ontario who go off to fight in WWI. Talks about some wild times in the trenches of the war and how they struggle with the paradoxes of the two worlds they are living in.

Canadian-guerilla
02-13-2010, 11:23 AM
just picked up another " edible plants " book

my 2nd book from Lone Pine Publishing (http://lonepinepublishing.com/)

GREAT COLOR PICTURES

http://www.amazon.ca/Edible-Medicinal-Plants-Canada-MacKinnon/dp/1551055724 http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51HDQEIxbOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

jb1023
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Time for me to eat Crow.... OK after looking at Gregory Davenports book Wilderness Survival it is better than what I had originally thought. Although I still would classify it as introductory,it is better than I had thought when "Glancing through it". Just goes to show the old adage "Don't judge a book by it's cover (or when flipping through it), Is as true today as it was when it was coined!!
I have to add the rest of the pics here...

That is good to hear because I just ordered that book used off of Amazon for $5 shipped. Awhile back I downloaded various Marine/Navy/Army manuals covering a range of topics. I have not read any yet but seeing as how many of you say they are good starting points I think I will try and read a few this weekend.

LongHuntre
01-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Anything by Ray Mears he is the King of Bushcraft IMHO

LongHuntre
01-21-2011, 03:31 AM
My favorite series is by William Johnstone called " The last Mountain Man", and also anything by Louis Lamour.

I agree +1

pete lynch
01-21-2011, 06:24 AM
I emailed John Branson a while back about the possibility of any more of Dick Proenneke's journals being published. Mr Branson was the editor of "More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke, 1974-1980".
I received his reply today:

Hi Pete, there is a new volume of Richard's verbatim journals in the
offing. The manuscript is with the non-profit publisher Alaska Geographic
Association with a publication date in the summer of 2011. The title is:
RICHARD L. PROENNEKE OF TWIN LAKES, ALASKA, THE EARLY YEARS 1967-1973. The
book is 500 pages and very much like my first volume of edited Proenneke
Journals.
Thank you for your interest in Lake Clark National Park and Preserve and
Richard Proenneke.
John Branson
Park Historian
I am looking forward to this volume coming out. :)

BENESSE
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle--reading right now

3 other books in waiting:
* Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
* Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
* Lights Out by David Crawford

After this, I'll be ready for some Grisham.

Aurelius95
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle--reading right now

3 other books in waiting:
* Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
* Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
* Lights Out by David Crawford

After this, I'll be ready for some Grisham.

Ok, Benesse, how did you like Lucifer's Hammer? I am borrowing it from the library now, and I'm having a hard time with it. 100 pages into and it's just not holding my attention. Should I finish it, or start with something else?

I have read Lights Out - good book. Entertaining and useful. I have Earth Abides on my waiting list at the library, but haven't heard of Alas, Babylon. Any good?

Thanks in advance!

BENESSE
05-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Stick w/Lucifer's Hammer, A.
It is tedious at first, til you get through this comet observation stuff. Once TSHTF, it gets interesting fast.

TheWind777
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm new to this forum.

My 'skill' is that I went cross-country by bicycle, twice (8800 miles total, a year and four months of camping total) and am preparing for my third trip.

I've been amassing a gigantic library of survival books and information. I will be bringing a netbook along with me and have rigged-up a solar panel charging system so that will be possible.

My library will be contained on two 32GB MicroSD cards.

Some books elude me, though. It's hard to get everything on PDF, DOC, MP4 etc.

However, in my months of searching I've found some solid sites which let me find stuff that I thought you guys might find interesting.

For PDF books I like http://www.pdf4me.net/

For hard-to-find PDF Books I like http://ebookee.org/ It will bring you to various sites to find hard to find things.

For really hard-to-find stuff I use http://www.4shared.com You wait 20 seconds to 5 minutes but it's worth it.

My favorite Torrent Search engine is http://torrentz.eu

Here's a good listing of various torrent search engines, though:

C:\Program Files\TopTorrentEngines\Torrent.htm

However, my favorite individual site is http://bitsnoop.com/

They tend to always have the book, have a short delay, no viruses and you just click the fourth link every time (no hunting for the link).

Well, got to go go work now. Thought those links might be helpful.

TheWind777
06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Here is a listing of books. Most have been talked about in this forum... but I am doing the list based on what's available out there in PDF format (although very difficult to find sometimes).

It synopsizes the best of the Wilderness Survival books, also.

50 Outdoor Skills Everyone Needs to Know (Videos)
AF Regulation 64-4 United States Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training (Reprint)
Bushcraft - Outdoor Living, the 10 Bushcraft Books - Richard Harry Graves (1972)
Camping and Woodcraft - A Handbook for the Wilderness - Kephart (1917)
Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli
Deep Survival - Who Lives, Who Dies and Why Laurence Gonzales W.W. Norton & Company 2003
FM 21-76 Survival Field Manual - U.S. Army
Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, Second Edition - James A. Duke
Holy Bible - King James Version
How to Stay Alive in the Woods - Bradford Angier
How to Stay Alive in the Woods - Bradford Angier
Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places - 'Wildman' Steve Brill
Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook - James Talmage Stevens
Mountaineering - The Freedom of the Hills - The Mountaineers
Northern Bushcraft - Mors L. Kochansk
Outdoors Survival Handbook - Ray Mears
Prescription for Natural Cures - James Balch & Mark Stengler 4 MB or 35 GB
Prescription for Natural Cures: A Self-Care Guide for Treating Health Problems with
Prescription for Nutritional Healing - Phyllis Balch
SAS Survival Guide - Collins Gem Edition - John Wiseman
SAS Survival Handbook: For Any Climate, in Any Situation
Survival, Evasion, and Recovery - Multiservice Procedures For Survival, Evasion, And Recovery - 1999, Air Land Sea Application Center http://www.equipped.com/multiservice_ser_manual_1999.pdf
Survive! - Les Stroud
Survive! – Les Stroud
Tappan on Survival - Mel Tappan
The American Boy's Handybook Of Camp Lore And Woodcraft - Dan Beard
The Dangerous Book for Boys - Conn Iggulden and Hal Iggulden (Audio Only)
The Encyclopedia of Country Living - Carla Emery (Far and away the most often-mentioned book. This book is an absolute "must" for every well-prepared family!)
The Forager's Harvest - A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
The Foxfire Book Series - 1 - 6
The Journals of Lewis and Clark, 1804-1806 - William Clark and Meriwether Lewis
The Survival Handbook - This Book Could Save Your Life - Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure
Tom Brown Jr - The Search (with William Owen)
Tom Brown Jr - The Tracker (as told to William Jon Watkins)
Tom Brown Jr - The Vision (1988)
Tom Brown Jr - Tom Brown, Jr. - The Science and Art of Tracking - Nature's
Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living Surviving With Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find in the Woods - John and Geri McPherson
When All Hell Breaks Loose - Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes - Cody Lundin
When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikesby Cody Lundin
Wilderness Survival for Dummies
Woodcraft - George Nessmuk Sears

TheWind777
06-19-2011, 11:07 AM
There are many scanned books, all copyright-free because they are from the end of the 1800s and early 1900s that can be very helpful (and fun) to read.

http://www.archive.org/

is one of the best place to download them, because they organize it well. Click on the 'HTML' link and it will show all formats available (PDF, TXT, etc.)

Search for keywords like 'Wilderness', 'Outdoor', Boy's Book, Woodcraft, etc.

There are hundreds of books that are all free.

Another website which is good for finding free PDF files on everything imaginable, go to

http://www.bergfiles.com/

The way I remember this site is... Iceberg, (Like you're only finding the tip of the iceberg when you're searching for Survival Books).

Here is a synopsis of some of the best sites for downloading books:

http://ebookbrowse.com/
http://www.bergfiles.com/
http://www.archive.org/ (Google Books and Old 1800's and 1900's Scans)
http://isohunt.com/ (find by hash number)
http://pdfdatabase.com/
http://www.pdfsearchs.in/
http://avaxsearch.com/
http://www.pdfgeni.com/
http://findpdf.net/
http://www.pdfgeni.org
http://www.torcatch.com/
http://www.limetorrents.com/
http://ebookee.org
http://rapidlibrary.com/
http://www.rapid4search.com/
http://www.rapidog.com/

Mischief
06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
I have a very nice outdoor library that I started over 50 years ago,however,I just can't wrap my reading around any of the Tom Brown Jr stuff. Tried, just not my cup of Tea.

TheWind777
06-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Yeah, that listing isn't necessarily the best of the best of Wilderness Survival. It is a listing of the books which are out there which are quite easy to find in PDF format.

Unfortunately, because much of the material out there is either from those who believe the world is ending in a nuclear holocaust, or those who think we're about to have a polar reversal, or those who think the worlds is going to end in 2012, or those who wish to overthrow the U.S. Government and think a Coup d'etat is imminent, or it's people thinking that Jesus is returning this week (sorry if I just stepped on the toes of some of the people on this forum; I have read very few of the posts and - who knows - maybe there are some on here that believe some of those things)... therefore, any listing of PDF files that are available all tend to be rather reactionary, revolutionary, non-realistic, apocalyptic or fatalistic.

I probably am not going to need to know how much exposure to plutonium I can stand on a bike trip.

However, I look at it this way, when you're out in the wilderness... you need the information no matter who put that information together.

Just as with a white picket fence, when you pass it and look at the picket fence, you see a picket fence. If you look past the fence you can see the background quite easily.

Bandaids I'll need. Sutures I might need. Civil defense brochures won't probably help me when just as I've broken my leg a growling grizzly strolls into camp. Morse code charts and plans on how to make a still out of old Clorox bottles won't help much.

... As for Tom, he's more lucid than most. At least his stuff doesn't read like H. G. Well's War of the Worlds and there are no diagrams of aluminum foil hats.

It's funny, but the best tends to still be the U.S. Army 21-76 Field Manual. If you get the version which is split into chapters instead of being all one PDF manual it helps to read it if you're reading it on a computer as PDFs.

TheWind777
06-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Second is probably the SAS Manual.

whitis
08-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
http://www.amazon.com/Adrift-Seventy-six-Days-Lost-Sea/dp/0618257322
A best seller by a man who set the record for survival in an inflatable life raft when his boat sank on a solo voyage. Not easy when sharks are eating barnacles off your butt, bite off the inflation canister rupturing the raft, and the patch kit says "make sure both surfaces are clean and dry." Life rafts are only designed for a few days use. He, fortunately, bought a six-man life raft after trying them out at the store and finding them ridiculously undersized. Big commercial ships didn't monitor the maritime distress beacons (this was before satellite beacons) and weren't watching where they were going so they were more likely to run you down than rescue you - even if you shot off a flare. nine ships passed him by. By improvising a solar still and rainwater collection, he was able to get a pint of water per day. He caught some fish and preserved some. A small ecosystem evolved around him.

When another party spent 119 days on the wreckage of their trimaran , he coauthored their story:
Capsized/the True Story of Four Men Adrift for 119 Days
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060179619/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Callahan

el-amigo
12-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I just finished the Living Wild (Bear Grylls) and bought the SAS Survival Handbook (John Wiseman). John's book is more detailed, he explains a lot of things.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
12-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Here is the mother load enjoy :http://www.survivalebooks.com/usmilitarymanuals.html

Rick
12-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Is it just me or is a military manual titled Post Attack & Post Disaster Plan sound a bit defeatist? Yeah, probably just me.

Sparky93
12-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Here is the mother load enjoy :http://www.survivalebooks.com/usmilitarymanuals.html

Awesome link!