PDA

View Full Version : Question about large knives

BigB
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
This question came to me over the holidays while standing in 3 feet of snow, holding my 4th fox squrriel of the day in one hand, and a fallkniven a2 wilderness knife in the other. Why would someone not want a big knife over a smaller one??? By big, i mean in the 7-10 inch range (or bigger) vs. one in the 2.5-4 inch range. I find that all the same tasks can be done with a bigger knife as a smaller one, but with much less energy. Im sorry, but I dont buy it for one second when some says "I cant afford the extra weight of a large knife in my pack." Were talking ounces here people! Well worth the extra "ounces" when you build a shelter quicker, cut firewood quicker and still handle the small things. Just a thought I wanted to share. I dont by any means wish to start a big vs. small debate, but I would like to here some solid points for carrying a smaller knife, mainly cause I have some smaller ones, but dont even consider taking them out in wilderness adventures over a big one. Thanks

crashdive123
01-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Well.....I wouldn't expect somebody with the screen name BigB to do anything less than carry a big knife.:D Actually, I agree with the big knife argument. I do however usually have several options with me while out in the woods.

tsitenha
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
If weight is of no concern carry both I do, plus an ax.

sgtdraino
01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
There are tasks that are easier with big knives than small knives, and tasks that are easier with small knives than big knives.

Carry both! :)

RBB
01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
For hunting (dressing and skinning, etc) there is no comparison. A small knife is eminently preferable.

It is also preferable if you don't want the locals to think you are a neophyte.

edr730
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
RBB is right about the fact that you would be considered a neophyte if you are seen with a large knife while hunting. It is an old story and an old joke. A deer can be gutted out with nothing more than a penknife if you finger tips are long enough for cutting around the anus. Smaller animals don't need a larger knife than a deer. I like a big knife for slicing the meat though. And they are good for chopping down trees or sharpening sticks much faster. I guess you could use them as a hammer if you can't find a rock. They'd be good to use as a shovel too. Good for spears too. Good for cooking, slicing and all that stuff. I guess they are an all around better survival tool. Lots of uses for them....just not too good for dressing animals. Your fingers aren't close enough to the blade.

endurance
01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
For me, a small (3-3.4") folder is ideal for 99% of my needs. I currently carry a 3.1" H&K made by Benchmade with me every day. Now I'm not talking about epic wilderness adventures, but day to day, in the workplace, on the local trails, and always in my pocket no matter where I go. I'd rather always have a small knife all the time than no knife at all some of the time and carrying anything larger than a folder in my pocket wouldn't be acceptable.

I've always used something much smaller than 10" but that's because I've never felt the need for much more than 5-7" for what I've done. Part of that when I was getting started may have come down to price and after one gets used to doing things a certain way, seeing the need for a bigger knife hasn't come up. Maybe I'm not in the situations you're in on a regular basis or maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

SARKY
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=BigB;94750] Why would someone not want a big knife over a smaller one??? By big, i mean in the 7-10 inch range (or bigger) vs. one in the 2.5-4 inch range. I find that all the same tasks can be done with a bigger knife as a smaller one, but with much less energy. Im sorry, but I dont buy it for one second when some says "I cant afford the extra weight of a large knife in my pack." Were talking ounces here people!

Hold on there! If you were to ask, I doubt that you would find many people here that don't carry several knives and or axes of varying sizes. I am a firm believer of the big knife/ small knife concept. There are jobs that a big knife is better suited to and there are jobs that a small knife is suited to. I don't carry an axe but I do carry a BenchMade bushmaster. This large knife is designed for chopping and so it takes the place of an axe for me. I also carry several small knives for the more mundane camp tasks, tasks that take more finnese than brute force. The important thing is to ring out you knives to make sure they work for you, are easy to maintain, and have the quality to last.

Gray Wolf
01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I usually carry 3 -4 different length locking folders, from 1.5" to 3.75". A fixed blade 4" to 5" cutting edge. And an axe or machete depending on the location. This covers: wood carving, camp chores, hunting, chopping, bush duty and eating. But if I could only carry 1, it would be the 4" to 5" fixed blade. I like a horizontal carry, so these are a comfortable size for that, and I still can do all the above with that size blade.

MANABA
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
:)I am a military type so I carry a large knife, even a bayonet sometimes( okay most of the time) and also a multitool (i prefer SOG or leatherman), and then a couple small folders also. But carry what you want and need. Knives are kinda one of those things you buy alot of and have to use them a little to find out what you prefer and need.:)

Badawg
01-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Smaller can be better. There, I said it! No really. I have a swisslockback knife in my pocket at all times and it is used more than anything. For my daily commute via public transit I have that and either my buck folder on the belt, it's one of the "old school" brass cased 4" blade models, or my Kershaw Amphibian. Both are technically legal to carry but anything bigger here is not.

When out in the boonies I carry bigger though. I have several different choices in knifes in the 5-7 inch range on my belt, and in the pack is the Kukhri for camp chores such as chopping.

klkak
01-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Daily I carry a Benchmade N690 folder with a 2 3/4" blade. When in the bush I carry the same knife as well as an "Eagle river knife Co." Bowie with 6" blade. I also carry a Wetterlings wildlife axe. My knives are for cutting, my hatchet is for chopping.

chiangmaimav
01-14-2009, 08:33 AM
In the jungle I usually carry a ten inch parang but on farm or camping in US I often carried small lockbacks or 5 inch fixed blade knife, plus a hatchet.

Ole WV Coot
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I always have two in my pockets. I make my own fixed blades and use them for cutting not chopping. I don't baton, use an axe or hatchet. I can take my ATV almost anywhere so I don't worry about weight. I carried only a Case Stockman for many years and few men I knew bothered with anything else.

trax
01-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, the fella said he wasn't trying to start a debate and he did mention a difference of "ounces" as far as packing something goes. Seems to me most people responding here already have that notion.

A knife is a tool, use the right tool for the job. I don't use a knife for hacking or chopping anything. I use a lot smaller knife when I'm skinning a rat or a beaver than I use when I'm gutting out a moose. I carry one lock back folder at all times, (well except getting on airplanes these days, but the last thing I do before I check my luggage is toss my knife in and the first thing I do when I pick up my luggage is get my knife back out) and it's obviously the most used for so many day to day applications. I think it's a 2 3/4" blade, can't remember the make, bought it a gas station one day.

skunkkiller
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
around here 2 3/4 blade is the way to go (that is in town ). out on the trail 4 '' to 8'' but the 2 3/4 is still in my pocket . for chopping its my hawk with 12'' handle dont need anything esles.

Nativedude
01-15-2009, 01:18 AM
I have tried big knives throughout the years and I've had many students bring knives with 7. . .9. . .even 13" blades (yes it was a knife, not a machete) on trips. Personally though I prefer a knife that has a blede no longer than 4". Why, you might ask?

Well;
First and foremost, is the fact that people in society get freaked out by just about any knife--folder or fixed--and the larger the blade the more freaked out they get! My Mora knife looks pretty demure in appearance, but is a real workhorse for sure.

Second, my Mora does everything I need it to do in a small compact design.

Third, as you can see in the picture below, it hangs nicely around my neck and is very handy when needed.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Nativedude1/jpeg_mora02_jpg.jpg

Now, there is always the debate "small -v- large" in the knife world, but. . .if you learn the proper way to handle ANY knife you can do what you need to do.

Also, when I take out most trips, we do not carry knives. We make stone knives that can do everything that needs to be done; including skinning an animal!:D

tsitenha
01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
What I don't understand is why you modify/personalize your mora knife system and then not carry it?.....
When my ancestors were able to acquire metal knives by what ever means, they never went back to stone only, knew how to make them but reverting back to for most occasions no.

klkak
01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
These are my favorite knives. The big one with the green handle has a 6" blade and was made for me by "Eagle river knife Co." The next one down is a "Green river knife", the a CRKT neck knife. The folder is the Benchmade I carry daily.

MCBushbaby
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Why a small knife instead of a large? Well...

When you learn how to use something properly you can use:
- A .270 for deer, rather than a .50 BMG
- A keychain LED, rather than a 4-D Maglite
- A ruck, rather than a 8000cu.in. Gregory
- A tarp, rather than a 12-person tent
- A 4# test and fly for trout, rather than an 10# test and spinner
- A cell phone with a data plan for remote emailand comm, rather than a solar array, portable modem, mini-laptop, power and data cord adapters, and satellite phone.
- A palm-width knife blade, rather than a Rambo "**** you up" sword

Of course if you've hacking wood then a 4" blade won't be too efficient... but neither will a rambo. Axes or folding pack saws come in here. A machete in the jungle is superior to a small knife... so I guess it's a matter of situation and use.

Zilth
01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi All,

It's illegal here to carry knives and you have to go far away to find a non national park area to use it in :).

For what I have done, I'd agree with most people here :) A big knife (7") for shelter building/camp tasks (I have a CS TM) or an axe if I don't have to carry it :), a 4-5" for game tasks and a 3" folder for random use.

I tend not to carry a large knife unless I know I can use it in that area (not likely lol) so a folding saw takes its place and I cope with the 5" (usually carried in my pack) and the 3" folder in a pouch on my belt so I don't scare people.

RBB
01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess for me, it is partly a matter of tradition. I see the knives my ancestors used, and they were all pretty small - and these were people that lived closer to the land than most anyone on this forum.

"The tool should fit the task," is a carpentry basic that applies here as well. If you need to chop things - use an axe. I have several small hand axes that weigh less than some large knives I've seen - and are eminently more well suited to chopping wood.

Cleankill47
01-16-2009, 02:29 AM
I keep a small knife or two in my pocket, a medium length blade attached to my pocket or on my belt, and anything bigger depends on the situation. I do pretty well with a 5" fixed blade, or even my Buck 110, but I like the feel sometimes of a large knife. It's like having a bunch of different caliber rifles and one day you just want to use the .300 Win Mag, because you can.

I don't really like one size knife over another, but the best size that works for me in my area is about a 4"-6" fixed-blade. I carry other size knives for different tasks, but I always try to have that size available.

Another example would be the fact that I own several handguns, but I prefer to carry my Glock 21 because it just feels better to me.

sgtdraino
01-16-2009, 05:39 AM
"The tool should fit the task," is a carpentry basic that applies here as well. If you need to chop things - use an axe. I have several small hand axes that weigh less than some large knives I've seen - and are eminently more well suited to chopping wood.

I'm sure part of this depends on the type of environment you are living in, as well. Axe is more suited to chopping wood? Yes. Suited to chopping your way through thick bush? No. To me, a larger knife is a good all-around tool. More specialized tools like axes and machettes might be better at their specific intended jobs, but a larger knife can do a number of different things generally well.

RBB
01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
RE: Chopping your way through thick brush.

I guess I'd say, if you're in the jungle - get a machete.

Let me say, first of all, that I've lived in the brush all my life - and we have some pretty thick brush around here. People from Illinois and South Dakota give up and go back to camp. City folks sit down and cry:D.

I can't really think of any brush locally - or anywhere that I've ever been and camped - that chopping at said brush with a knife would benifit you. Locally, or anywhere I've ever camped - the trick is to learn how to move through brush. Hacking away at it would just slow you down. I may have this attitude from growing up among Ojibwes and Finns.

A friend from Florida came up to hunt with us a few years ago, and he couldn't get over how my kids would just wade into brush - that they couldn't even see over, and pick their way though with no problem.

If you are building trails - you are better off with a Pulaski tool or a Sandvik axe.

Around here - big knives are just a waste of time. They just look macho - to people who don't know any better. You'd get some pretty strange looks around here, showing up with a knife that had a blade over six inches (four - or even three inches is better). It's like shouting, "I'm a greenhorn."

klkak
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
- the trick is to learn how to move through brush. Hacking away at it would just slow you down.

That is very sound logic.:)

chiangmaimav
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
A few days ago I was hiking through mountains near the border with Burma. I was on a steep grade and began sliding downhill and it was a long way to tne bottom. I pulled out ten inch parang and stuck it in the ground and stopped myself from sliding, so in this case a big knife was definitely better.

primeelite
01-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I usually carry a 3 1/2 inch folding blade which I end up using the most but also have a 8 1/2 inch (1/4 serrated) fixed blade that is used for sawing and cutting down small trees and that whole deal. Also carry a leatherman multi-tool. I really haven't found a situation in which I did not have a blade or tool that I needed other than a few times a small axe would have been easier.

woodlander1314
01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=RBB;95239]RE: Chopping your way through thick brush.

I guess I'd say, if you're in the jungle - get a machete.

Let me say, first of all, that I've lived in the brush all my life - and we have some pretty thick brush around here. People from Illinois and South Dakota give up and go back to camp. City folks sit down and cry:D.

I can't really think of any brush locally - or anywhere that I've ever been and camped - that chopping at said brush with a knife would benifit you. Locally, or anywhere I've ever camped - the trick is to learn how to move through brush. Hacking away at it would just slow you down. I may have this attitude from growing up among Ojibwes and Finns.

I couldn't agree more. Being a hardcore Ghillie I find it very important to disturb as little vegetation as possible. If you are in a survival situation like this hacking and slashing will scare off any game to trap. For me I used to have a 7" black USMC k-bar, I don't have it anymore but having a knife that big really had no benefit, right now I will probably downsize to a 5" k-bar, same design though.

Tactical Tom
01-24-2009, 12:29 AM
I always have several blades on me at all times ;)
My current woods combo - Breeden 6" PeaceMaker /Breeden 4.5" HandyKnife
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/COMBOBACKSIDE.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/BREEDENPAIR.jpg
In my right front pocket - Mini-Reeder -
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/AWSOMELITTLEKNIFE.jpg
My Left Front Pocket - BladeTech ProHunter Extreme
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/MyBladeTech.jpg
Along with the BladeTech I also have a Victoronix Swiss Army Knife - Soldier w/ alox handles or SAK -Hiker .
On my pack - 14" Tramontina Machete
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/NewGear.jpg
Or my ColdSteel Trail Hawk T-Hawk or ColdSteel TrailBoss
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/CHOPPERS-1.jpg
In the pack I have my ColdSteel RoachBelly & Leatherman Wave
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/CSROACHBELLY.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/LEATHERMANWAVE.jpg

trax
01-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Jeez Tactical Tom, that's some nice looking equipment, but do you carry all that at once? Don't fall in the water man.:D

Tactical Tom
01-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Jeez Tactical Tom, that's some nice looking equipment, but do you carry all that at once? Don't fall in the water man.:D

LOL :rolleyes: Yep ... when I'm in the woods & when I'm out in town I usuallycarry the SAK Recruit & ColdSteel ProLite & Glock 19
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/EDCII.jpg
Or just my SAK Slodier & Spyderco Endura4 Waved -
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/coaldigger05/sc10pgyw.jpg
I can't help it, I LOVE KNIVES :D Do I have a problem :confused: :p:D

trax
01-24-2009, 12:58 AM
good heavens, if furriners ever invade I'm just gonna stand behind that guy. There's my survival plan for that. Tom, you love knives, I am not about to tell someone that well armed that he has a problem, not any kind of problem at all bud:rolleyes:

Ole WV Coot
01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
good heavens, if furriners ever invade I'm just gonna stand behind that guy. There's my survival plan for that. Tom, you love knives, I am not about to tell someone that well armed that he has a problem, not any kind of problem at all bud:rolleyes:

Son, us guys from KY are always ready for anything. Personally I think Tom is packing a little light. He will learn with a few more years on him.:eek:

tonester
01-24-2009, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=Tactical Tom;96469]I always have several blades on me at all times ;)

nice blades tactical tom! i also have a breeden peacemaker, i love it. i have three other blades from breeden. he's an awesome guy and a really good knife maker.

Tactical Tom
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Tactical Tom;96469]I always have several blades on me at all times ;)

nice blades tactical tom! i also have a breeden peacemaker, i love it. i have three other blades from breeden. he's an awesome guy and a really good knife maker.

Yep, I too have 3 breeden knives, Bryan is my favorite knife maker ! He has been great to deal with !