PDA

View Full Version : What are you storing for goodies?

marylp
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, I have a good supply of cake mixes and pie fillings. But what about goodies like Chocolate covered raisins ansd peanuts? Has anyone ever eaten a 2 year old Hershey Bar? I want to store away a "surprise" box of various goodies, I am thinking Snickers, Reeses, Milky Way Bars, you get the idea. But these are never stored very long at our house. I want to make a good box, seal it and forget about it for lets say, a year or for when we really need a good moral booster! Any ideas? I already have a good supply of left over Christmas candy from clearance sales, but how many candy canes can one eat before they are boring again? Should O just go with expiration date on package? I once open an MRE with a bag of M&M's in it, bout 2 years old, not the best best still o.k. What do you think? Mary

P.S. Just in case anyone is wondering, I have a good supply of tootpaste, brushes and floss!

crashdive123
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Shelf life on a Twinkie is about 2,000 years.:D

SARKY
01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I have found that the darker the chocolate the longer it will store.

welderguy
01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Shelf life on a Twinkie is about 2,000 years.:D

You can add a week or two if you had it in a plastic bucket.

I did find out that the bakers chocolate lasts forever without refrigeration and if kept in the fridge it doubles that.
reason I know is my mother in law has some that is over three years old and she still uses it to bake with, wife said the cake was good, I had to pass on desert

marylp
01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Supposedly, most candy does keep well, cept maybe stuff with nuts that will go rancid. I would have to hide these in the freezer and label them something really gross "liver".

laughing beetle
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I must be kinda wierd, cause my idea of goodies for storing consists of sardines and smoked kippers.:D:D

RBB
01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
The only thing I store that way is maple sugar. It lasts about six months stored in a canister (on the kitchen counter - one of "those" kind of canisters). Bagged, it lasts at least three years (so far), but has the same problems as brown sugar (gets hard). I've thought of freezing it to see if that will help it keep longer, or vacuum packing it, or put crackers in it, etc.

crashdive123
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I do store quite a bit of honey. Should last for just about ever.

RunsWithDeer
01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Regular M&M's, I keep some stashed in my truck and back pack. Gotta love that sugar rush.

PNW
01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I have in the past, stored quite a bit of candy; especially bite sized chocolate with/out nuts, regular choc. bars, etc.
In the freezer, the choc will turn whiteish as it separates. Adults dont mind, but kids reject it. In room temp storage, choc is flat, nuts go rancid/old after a year. Really fresh choc might go 2, but it's a stretch.
I have found that candy, [like Werthers], hard candy with a choc taste lasts better in storage, [freezer]. Also, choc mints [in the tins], in the freezer.
Hard candy in any flavor stores better than soft candy.

crashdive123
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Another thought - fruitcake seems to last forever.

canid
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
plus it doubles as a building material. the size and shape of bricks, but with better earthquake resillience.

canid
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
as for goodies, i'm storing my latest spiced mead at the moment, with plans to start another batch soon if i can find the gallon bottles i want. i may have to buy and dutifully drink carlo rossi to get them cheapest.

crashdive123
01-14-2009, 01:04 PM
as for goodies, i'm storing my latest spiced mead at the moment, with plans to start another batch soon if i can find the gallon bottles i want. i may have to buy and dutifully drink carlo rossi to get them cheapest.

It may not be as much fun as the wine (don't know if it's cheaper), but I used glass gallon jugs from apple juice or cider when I was making a lot of kahlua.

Sourdough
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
What am I storing for GOODIES......Whiskey and inflatable dolls.......People who drink alone have issues...hence the dolls. And I don't want people to think I am WIERD.........:o

laughing beetle
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Inflatable....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:: eek::eek:

crashdive123
01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
....scared off all the real ones - refuses to put a door on the outhouse.:D

wildWoman
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Keeping chocolate for TWO YEARS??? That could never happen to me!! I always lay in a big chocolate supply for the winter, and without fail, I eat my way through the entire six month supply by January. Once it's gone, I don't miss it all that much. Nutella is an ok substitute for intense chocolate cravings.

endurance
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I've packaged my own MREs (assembling components I like from Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com) when they go on sale. My MRE cache is only a 30 day supply, but the primary purpose is to get me through not being able to cook or to give me a change of pace when I'm resigned to my grain storage for longer duration events. I don't have a super strong sweet tooth, so I'm pretty partial to the MRE crackers with MRE jam, cheese and PB as something sweet/salty. I've also picked up some MRE snackpacks from EE and they have nuts, shoestring potatoes, and tootsie rolls.

For the longer-term, I'm a big mountain biker so I always have a case of compressed fruit snacks, Powerbars (chocolate, of course), and Kashi bars around along with cans of gatorade powder for sweet drinks. I recently picked up a bunch of brownie mix on sale locally and plan to put up some more as soon as they're back in stock.

I think the toughest thing to get along without for me is going to be ice cream/sherbet/sorbet. I haven't come up with a plan yet to fend off my Ben & Jerry's moments.