PDA

View Full Version : Bivouacing in Rattlesnake Country?

MCBushbaby
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
I guess you could say I'm blessed in that I live, and have lived, in an area that has no poisonous or dangerous animals. Worst I could expect is a black bear. But now I may be moving to Los Angeles and have to cope with a species 180. I can handle the coyotes, black bears, and cougars but rattlesnakes? Sure, I'll eat them and make a necklace from the rattle, or step around them -- I have no problem while I hike. But how likely are they to slide into my nice warm bivvy during a cold night? Should I take precautions? And if I woke up with a scaly bag buddy, how would I get out?

rockymtnchief
01-12-2009, 02:41 AM
If it's a cold night, they're crashed before you are. In the morning they'll be looking for a nice warm rock to sun themselves and warm up.

Gray Wolf
01-12-2009, 03:19 AM
how would I get out?

Very Carefully....:D

primeelite
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
One good thing about rattle snakes is a lot of the time they will sense you before you do them, you will hear them rattling and will be able to look around and find out where they are. Of course this isn't always the case but it is better than a few other poisonous snakes in that area that you won't hear but accidentally run up on.

dolfan87
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Keep your bivy zipped up at ALL times. I just bought a one man tent because I live in snake country. Not to mention scorpions, black widows, brown recluse...

Bivy's are way lighter, but the 3 pounds my tent weighs is worth it.

MCBushbaby
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
That's good you brought up spiders and scorpions. What kind of poisonous buggers should I be on the lookout for in southern california? Africanized honey bees as well? Jeeze, I'm beginning to miss my "worst thing on the trail is a beesting" lifestyle.

dolfan87
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
That's about it. Spiders, bees, snakes...but those are enough for me. ;)

CreekWalker
01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
One good thing about rattle snakes is a lot of the time they will sense you before you do them, you will hear them rattling and will be able to look around and find out where they are. Of course this isn't always the case but it is better than a few other poisonous snakes in that area that you won't hear but accidentally run up on.

Yes they don't always rattle I know this from first hand experience. When I was in Camp Pendleton I just happened to look down and to my surprise was a coiled rattlesnake not 18" from my leg. I kinda just swallowed my heart and my tongue at the same time and slowly backed away whew!!:eek:

old soldier
01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
if your worried about snakes, just think how they feel, they're scared and if at all possible, they'll let you pass without you even knowing they are there.
they don't want to waist venom of you unless you're edible,

Badawg
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Snakes are not such a big worry at night unless it's hot. If it's cold they are tucked away. Scorpions on the other hand can be a real nuisance as they like warm places at night and wiull crawl right into your sleeping bag... I have had it happen and it is the main reason why I sleep in a tent most of the time, or on a cot if under the stars.

If you do come out to LA, Hit me up for great socal trails and camping spots. I don't live in LA myself, but within 100 miles of it.

Stairman
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I have had some close calls with poisonous snakes and wear snake boots in the woods unless its cold.Pigmy rattlers are everywhere and their rattle sounds like a dragonfly fluttering in the grass.Statistics show that young boys are the main victims trying to pick them up.Hand bites are the most common.

snakeman
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Snakes shouldn't be a big threat of sleeping with you. The venomous in that area sense that you are a big animal and might not want to snuggle up with you. I would be more worried about spiders and scorpions. But rattlers dont always rattle. Due to people killing rattlesnakes so often, They have amazingly figured out that the rattle can give them away.

Badawg
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
There is an Island in the Sea of Cortez called Isla Serpente that has been separated from the Mainland(Sonora) that a rattlesnake has adapted into a rattle-less variety. Biologists believe it's so they can climb trees and eat birds. I went to the island on a fishing trip and you could see the snakes lying on the beach...

On another trip in the Sea of Cortez, we landed on one of the Midriff Islands and found it also to be just covered in Rattlers. We started to hike to the top of the mount, but quickly changed our minds when we realized they were under every bush and rock.

Not a place to goof around!

tipacanoe
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I grew up on the west coast in Florida, and once my sister sat up in bed to turn her pillow over and there was a snake under it. She got out of bed then made on heck of a racket. It wasn't poisonous but made us all leery and the seal on the screen door was replaced that day. In all the time I lived in Florida, (20 years) I could count on one hand the number of snakes I saw in the woods, most were around right after a grass & woods fire, or on the road.

MCBushbaby
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok, so rattlers are a minor issue. Preventativ emeasures to prevent spiders and scorpions from crawling inside with me? Clear away brush right?

Badawg
01-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Ok, so rattlers are a minor issue. Preventative measures to prevent spiders and scorpions from crawling inside with me? Clear away brush right?

Yeah well... They are hard to defend against. A zipped up tent works very well, but scorpions even get in them.

I personally don't worry about spiders too much as the tarantulas aren't too aggresive here and if you don't panic you could easily remove it. Recluse and widows will f*** you up, but stay put so they won't bother you unless you put your hand ON them. I got bit by a widow and it was not good though. Funnel spiders will bite and are really mobile but it's just a welt.

So for scorps keep things closed, look before sticking your hand in, Always check your shoes in the AM. You could spray a circle around you with poison... I also have seen people spread ant powder, Etc. But have never done that myself and just take my risk. Having grown up in a spiny and pokey part of the world, I just stay alert.

MCBushbaby
01-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Wait, recluse in south cali? **** I hate those things.

Badawg
01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
yup we have brown recluse as well as a an asian brown widow now that probably came in with chinese crap. They are more venomous than a black widow.

The recluse are still few and far between and let's hope it stays that way!

Ziggy
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Personally, I'd end up getting bit anyway, cuz I'd beat it, and me, and all the space around us half to death just trying to get out. Snakes scare me, even garters. I'm not TOO crazy about lizards either, just snakes with legs.

In LA though, I'd worry more about the liberals and gangbangers (lived there - left there)