PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water fish vs. Ocean fish

nell67
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Around where I live,people go fishing alot,mostly now days for the sport as many claim they do not like the taste of fresh water fish,personally,I love freshwater fish,as that is what I grew up eating,although with uncles living in Florida,several times a year we were treated to ocean catch as well.

I never noticed a difference in the taste,and I guess it's all in the method of preperation.

Is there really a difference in the taste of the fish?

Stairman
01-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I personally cant tell the difference,fried or baked,but Im sure others can.

Runs With Beer
01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I personally cant tell the difference,fried or baked,but Im sure others can.

Im with you, I cant tell the diff, I eat both about the same amount, The only diff. I can tell is everybody has there own way of cooking it and the fish will taste a little diff, based on what is done to it, I love the fishy.

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
While I do notice differences in flavors between different fish (salmon does not taste the same as grouper) I'm with you on the difference between saltwater and freshwater fish.

TDG
01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I couldn't tell the difference either

Riverrat
01-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I eat both and can tell can't tell the difference between the fresh and salt water.

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey TDG = how about swimming over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 Thanks.

Riverrat
01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Have no idea what happened in last post, but can not tell the difference...opps.

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Have no idea what happened in last post, but can not tell the difference...opps.

Was just wondering if you hadn't made up your mind yet.:D

nell67
01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
LOL Riverrat,don't feel bad,this confuses me too:D

Crash,salmon is definately one I have to be in the mood for to eat,it has a taste decidedly on it's own,and I have not found a way to tame that taste down,ordered it several different ways at restaurants even and no matter how it was fixed,it was still salmon,other than that,I have not had fish that I did not care for,in my opinion,it's all good.

I do understand people releasing them from streams,rivers and ponds that have been contaminated,but where I am that currently is not an issue.

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Nell - my wife has a recipe for salmon that you might like. I'll see if I can find it.

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Well - it seems that it wasn't a particular recipe, but rather how she cooked it. Popped it in the micro wave for 2 minutes.

RBB
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Around where I live,people go fishing alot,mostly now days for the sport as many claim they do not like the taste of fresh water fish,personally,I love freshwater fish,as that is what I grew up eating,although with uncles living in Florida,several times a year we were treated to ocean catch as well.

I never noticed a difference in the taste,and I guess it's all in the method of preperation.

Is there really a difference in the taste of the fish?

Haven't noticed any difference between Lake Superior salmon and Alaska salmon.

I have about 45 pounds of salmon in the freezer. Roughly half of it from Lake Superior, and the other half from Alaska. All of it is from 2008, late summer/early autumn. Maybe a taste test is in order.

Certainly is a lot of difference between mud lake bass I've caught in western Minnesota and the cold water rock bottom lake bass I catch locally. I once tried to eat bass out of a western mud bottom lake. It smelled so bad I couldn't even try a bite. Northern bronze back (small mouth), on the other hand, is so good - it may well be my favorite eating fish.

Make that "freshwater" fish. One thing you don't have in fresh water is halibut. I would kill for fresh-caught halibut.

RunsWithDeer
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I think they are both good. But since I live only in a fresh water area, the fish I catch are all fresh water. We only occasionally buy ocean fish, if my wife has a recipe to try. My favorite is red snapper.

canid
01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
yeah, i don't so much find a difference [nor a need to see a difference] between freshwater and ocean fish, as between one type of fish and another. the flavors of fish, though often with similar components, are quite variable.

chiggersngrits
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
For me any saltwater fish with white meat is good to go. Mackerel, mahi mahi and other darker fleshed fish are just too gamey. Fresh water bream, crappie(the best) and small catfish I find tasty. Bass are o.k., like RBB said smallmouth better than largemouth. I,d eat salmon any day. The best fish I ever ate was on a fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico. We landed about a 20 pound grouper and the first mate cut a big hunk out of the side, put it on a plate with a slab of butter and a little seasoning salt and cooked it in the microwave for one minute. Can't get any fresher than that.

polar459
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I love fish,fresh water or salt

palm stalker
01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
be ware. i read a site an google, that said 27%of fish were mislabaled to a higher price..dna test showed this..as most fish taste the same, its easey to switch..buy freash watch the fish monger slice and dice ur fish.. buy whole if u can freash fish have no oder and clear eyes..

Ole WV Coot
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Some salt water is OK but we used to pull a lot of blues out of Chesapeake Bay and I thought they had too much of a "fishy" taste for me. One other kick, any fish that bleeds like a stuck pig and can snap your finger off, forget 'em. Those things are too "toothy" for me.

canid
01-26-2009, 01:41 AM
ah do i miss bluefish. i'd love to return to Virginia some day. i found it almost mild, and it was eaten the same day as caught, but i must also say that i love oily/strong flavored fish. i used to fish pacifica peir on the san francisco peninsula, for salmon, striper or sharks on the big rod and would sometimes pass the time with a mackarel rig catching anchovie and frying them up as i fished.

woodlander1314
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't notice too much of a difference between salt and freshwater fish either. Though I do notice that some saltwater fish seem a bit more tender but that might just be my preparation. I marinade salmon fillets with some lemon juice for about 20mns or so, rub in some Greek seasoning, and then grill em for about 6mns, always turns out great.

primitiveroots
01-27-2009, 01:02 AM
We eat a lot of Ocean fish now as I live by the ocean and my partner is a fisherman. But in the old days, we ate a ton of fresh water fish. To me the best was pan fried fresh water fish like perch, or brook trout.

Now, there is so much pollution in the fresh water sources we don't eat fresh water fish much. It may be this that is causing the fish to taste funny, or farm raised fish that were released in the ponds as stock. The fishes diet can definitely impact it's taste.

My only suggestion is If you plan on eating a lot of any type of fish fresh, or ocean caught be leary of mercury poisoning. In Maine, they have a list of the fish with the highest levels of contamination and recommendations on how much to eat. Adults may not care as much, but it's important to be cautious with kids.

nell67
01-27-2009, 07:52 AM
We eat a lot of Ocean fish now as I live by the ocean and my partner is a fisherman. But in the old days, we ate a ton of fresh water fish. To me the best was pan fried fresh water fish like perch, or brook trout.

Now, there is so much pollution in the fresh water sources we don't eat fresh water fish much. It may be this that is causing the fish to taste funny, or farm raised fish that were released in the ponds as stock. The fishes diet can definitely impact it's taste.

My only suggestion is If you plan on eating a lot of any type of fish fresh, or ocean caught be leary of mercury poisoning. In Maine, they have a list of the fish with the highest levels of contamination and recommendations on how much to eat. Adults may not care as much, but it's important to be cautious with kids.
Pregnant women should also limit their intake or avoid fresh fish,unless they know for certain that the source is mercury free.

canid
01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
yeah, one great thing about methylmercury and PCB contamination in fresh water fish is that it is area limited, and depending on the degree of contamination, often species limited. with predatory ocean rish, it's nearly ocean wide.

Styric
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I can taste the difference but I eat a lot of both. It depends a lot on the type of fish. An example would be trout to Halibut. Very different meat types and consistency after cooking. It also depends on how well the fish was butchered. There are some fish that need portions cut away that are not tastey to say the least. Diet will play a role in what the fish tastes like as well. The best way to filet a fish...quick kill it by bonking it on the head real good or knife to brain. Next, do not gut the fish. Start at the gill plate and filet back towards the tail. When you butcher the fish this way none of the guts and blood flush into the meat. The difference in taste is a lot fresher and less gamey.

grundle
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I love both fresh and salt. I can tell the difference between the different fish. They all taste different to me.

I think I am more partial to ocean fish, but mainly for practical reasons. I can get a bigger fish from the ocean, and that means I get to eat more.

Did I ever tell you how much I like to eat?

Rick
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
For me, fresh water fish aren't as firm as salt water fish. Fresh water also have more of a "fishy" taste although that seems to be worse with bottom feeders.

If you are worried about pollution (shouldn't we all?) you might check with you state's DRN. Most states run continuous testing of the lakes and streams for different pollutants and the safety of eating local fish.