PDA

View Full Version : rice storage in empty 2ltr bottles

welderguy
01-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I was reading somewere about using 2 and 3 ltr empty soda bottles to store rice.

Anyone else here of this, does it extend the shelf life any, or are there no more benefits in doing this that just leaving them in the bags you bought it in.

At current I leave them in the bags they came in and then stick them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

crashdive123
01-10-2009, 12:30 AM
I do use the 2 liter soda bottles as one of the ways I store rice. I also store it in the original bags (then in gallon zip locks) and then into 5 gallon buckets. I am weighing switching the latter to mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, just haven't decided yet.

I don't think the soda bottles will extend the life (what is it for white rice - 10 years?), but it is a convenient method.

welderguy
01-10-2009, 03:39 AM
The wife mentioned the mylar bags but I dont know anything about them, so I guess Ill google the benefits of that. May be the way to go.
Thanks for the input on the bottles.

crashdive123
01-10-2009, 08:39 AM
The wife mentioned the mylar bags but I dont know anything about them, so I guess Ill google the benefits of that. May be the way to go.
Thanks for the input on the bottles.

CabinGirl posted some good information on mylar bags in post #126 of this thread. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4647&highlight=mylar+bags&page=7

RunsWithDeer
01-10-2009, 10:53 AM
The plastic soda bottles should work better than the plastic bags rice comes in, they are not porous. I have used them, but for longer storage in our cellar, I use vacuum sealed bags.

Runs With Beer
01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I was reading somewere about using 2 and 3 ltr empty soda bottles to store rice.

Anyone else here of this, does it extend the shelf life any, or are there no more benefits in doing this that just leaving them in the bags you bought it in.

At current I leave them in the bags they came in and then stick them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

I would think that if you squeezed out the exess air they would work fine.

welderguy
01-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you for the info all.

SARKY
01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Any plastic is both porous and will outgass. I am not saying that water will get in, what I am saying is that any odors or vapors can be absorbed by the plastic and passed through to the food stored in it. For short term storage disregard the previous as you will probably use it up before you notice any difference in smell or taste. Do use the mylar bags. Check out a company called Emergency Essentials, their url is www.BePrepared.com. They carry a lot of great stuff.

cabingirl
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I once stored some rice in the two ltr soda bottle. Guess what, mice ate through the pastic and ate the rice.Want do that again.

Tracker
01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
well putting rice in a 2L pop bottle will take up more room and is less malleable but it should keep the rice dry for the most part

Nativedude
01-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I put all of my grain (wheat, oats, sugar, etc.) and legume (beans) dry goods in glass jars with snap lids that have rubber O-rings to seal them tightly.

Also, with any grains or legumes put a bay leaf in the container to keep moths from hatching. Yes, all grain & legume products do have moths in them, but bay leaves keep them from hatching. ;)

wareagle69
01-11-2009, 08:16 AM
glass jars are always best idea, but do take up more room. same as you welder guy i have my rice in the same plastic it came in stored in 5 gal food grade buckets, except for the current one then i just empty it in the bucket snap the lid on and use as neccessary has worked fine for the last couple of years

old soldier
01-11-2009, 11:03 AM

also use the large bottles that apple,grape and cranberry juice ect. comes in. protects it from mice ect.

first put the rice in your freezer for a week if possible to kill any vermon that may be homesteading, let the rice set out for another 30 days and put it back in the freezer for another week so if any other creatures hatched, thney will be killed. take the rice out and let it come to rm temp, make a funnel out of alum foil, fill the bottles, put the top on tight,store the bottles where it is cool,dark and dry, should last for yrs.

the best proven way is to store rice, beans ,grains is in mylar bags and oxygen absorbers that are placed inside of food grade plastic pails with tops to keep out mice ect., but the bottles will do alright.
keep them out of the light,heat.

SARKY
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
If you are going to use a 5 or 6 gallon food grade bucket, DO get "Gamma Seal Lids" these are a screw top lid. The rim snaps and locks down where your normal lid does then the screw top screws it this rim. It makes it much easier to acces you stash of food and still keeps it as safe as the standard top.

Madrox
01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
i use the 2lt soda bottles for water and I've used some used up protein containers (large) from the supplement store to store my rice for the time being. I do have mylar bags and some bulk that needs to get sorted out but haven't gotten to that yet.

This is basically what I mean by the protein container.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11587580/Superior_Hemp_Protein_Powder.jpg

endurance
01-14-2009, 11:29 PM
I like the idea of the 2-3L bottles for caches, but for around the home, I'm content with 5g buckets w/ mylar bags and oxygen absorbers (those disposable 8 hour handwarmers are the same thing, so don't get all fancy and get the food specific ones). They're tougher than nails, stack easily and hold 35 pounds a piece.

The only significant problem I see with the 2L bottles is that they're not light-proof and light destroys vitamins. So keep them out of the light at all costs if you're going to use them.

Machinegunmomma
02-11-2009, 11:48 PM
White rice has a better shelf life then does Brown rice because of the outer shell it causes it to go rancid in about 6 months. White rice in a regualr package will last you two years minium. However if you have them canned in #10 cans with the nitrogen packages inside they will increase thir shelf life to 10 years or more.

So ok your probably saying where the hell do I get them canned right?
Well it's not nearly as hard as you think it is but, you will need to be opended minded if you are serious about storing any food up for a long time..

Call your local LDS church, Mormons usualy have a cannery or a storehouse within their region where they have all the equiptment there. It's the cheapest way to go trust me..
You can either take what you have allready bought there or buy what they have and can it yourself. They charge a minimal price for the cans lids and packages but its well worth the time and money..

They don't ask any questions what so ever, you do not need to belong to their church, infact, I was told that in some cases Non-Mormons use it more then their own memebers do ( many allready have a huge food storage suppy by now)

Also just FYI unless you really love rice and want that as a major storage Item, I would like to reccomend that you get into the whole wheat berries too. Wheat really is nearly a perfect plant. At it different stages (seed,sprout, grass) you can get almost all the vitiams & minerals you need without anything else. You can truly live off of wheat berries and water forever! It is the only product besides salt and sugar or honey that has an INDEFINATE shelf life.. It;s going up in price but is still the best bang for your buck NOW! This can also be bought at rock bottom prices through an LDS (Mormon) storehouse..

I recently did a search and found this.. Wheat prices on the market...U.S. prices for a pound of whole wheat, adjusted for inflation:

2005: $1.47 = $36.75

2006: $1.40 = $35.00

2007: $1.63 = $40.75

2008: $1.81 = $45.25 for 25lbs

Through the LDS cannery it's ONLY........ $6.05 for 25 lbs of Hard Red Whole Wheat

And what makes it even better is they grown their own so no GMO that won't sprout just the good stuff.
I'm send this link because there are more items you can buy through them that are cheap aswell the markets can't touch these prices.... Hope this helps someone.
MGM

http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/120132_HSOrderForm_US_JAN_09_pdf.pdf

If anyone is interested I have a wesite group on home storage and maybe some of the information will be helpfull to you there..

Machinegunmomma
02-11-2009, 11:51 PM
P.S. Using "Bay Leaf" will help fend off critters in your rice stored in your shelves or containers.
Lay them around your shelves too to keep it smelling fresh and herby to keep the furry crittes away too...

chiangmaimav
02-18-2009, 02:45 AM
One thing they know about over here is rice and I asked about rice storage. People tell me rice can last in bags they come in, which here are usually burlap or paper, for up to 2 years but it won't taste so good after 1 year, perhaps due to heat and humidity.