PDA

View Full Version : do you need a license for a .22 in ontario?

artofwoc
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
or even canada...

nell67
01-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I believe,but I could be wrong and some of our Canadian members can correct me,that you must have a license to own any type of a firearm in Canada.

ride_gnu
01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes you do.

artofwoc
01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
bull****!.. is there any 600+fps .177 cal guns? which are airguns

tsitenha
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
artofwoc, I will attempt to answer your question.

You need to take and pass an PAL (Possession Acquisition License) course to own, borrow any firearm that is classified as such by the Canadian Govt. Also if you intend to hunt a provincial hunter's license is needed. Now these licenses and PAL come about with age stipulations and with provincial hunting regulation. You can as a minor in the hunter apprentiship program hunt and under direct supervision hunt and shoot with an approved mentor who is also appropriately licensed.

A PAL is needed for:

A .22 or .177 pellet rifle or pistol that has the velocity of greater than 495 FPS (feet per second) which there are many. There are many pellet firearms that have a lower velocity but most stores will require an adult to purchase them with appropriate licenses

any fiream capable of fireing a rimfire cartridge

any firearm capable of fireing a centerfire cartridge

any black powder pistol or rifle whether traditional or inline that uses a "cap" or 209 primer.

The actual law/regulation is more complicated that this but this the gist of it.
Also there are many levels of firearm types in Canada:
non-restricted, restricted, prohibited
most long guns (rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders) fall under the non-restricted section
and most pistol and some rifles fall under the restricted part
for the present you do not qualify for the prohibited catagory.

trax
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM
and that was a very well framed answer

flandersander
01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
bull****!.. is there any 600+fps .177 cal guns? which are airguns

I'm sorry, you asked a question and we answered, now you're telling us we're wrong? OR am I misunderstanding your post?

skunkkiller
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
i though you could not own a pistol in canada.

trax
01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Most pistols fall under the restricted category skunkkiller, if they're under...I think...4 1/2 barrel length they're prohibited. Even as a restricted weapon though, the laws governing the restrictions are so stifling that it's barely worth the trouble of owning one.

Here's a for instance....I take my handgun (locked in a case and disabled, bullets and magazine stored seperately), go to a recognized range and target practice for an hour or whatever, make sure the firearm is locked up according to regulations and drive home. On the way home I stop for gas....I just broke the ****!!! law, because you have to transport a restricted firearm from point A to point B without any stops. Brilliant huh? The beauty of it all is that gun-related crimes, sadly, or on the rise in Canada, so our genius legislation is working for no one.

Sarge47
01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
1st, you never did do an intro so nobody really knows how to answer you, next, & this is the only warning I'm going to give you; knock off the flaming; if you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions. Clear?:cool:

trax
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you Sarge, that was very curmudgeonly of you :D

tsitenha
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Canadian Law is less than 4" it is prohibited, unless you have the grandfather clause in your file (have had a pistol with a barrel less than 4",before the last qualifying date per the last gun control bill)
It gets complicated and confusing at best.....

Leighman
01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Canadian Law is less than 4" it is prohibited, unless you have the grandfather clause in your file (have had a pistol with a barrel less than 4",before the last qualifying date per the last gun control bill)
It gets complicated and confusing at best.....

Yet short barreled rifles (SBR's) are prefectly legal? Strange laws.

skunkkiller
01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
thank for clearring that for me i know my grandfather went to akaska and went though canada they put a lock on his pistol at the border and it better be there when he got to the other end. but that was a long time ago.

flandersander
01-08-2009, 04:04 PM
yeah our laws are kinda iffy. Yet to pass the federal hunters safety exam, its super easy. Really easy. Just growing up around a hunter allowed me to pass the federal exam, without any studying. lol.

tsitenha
01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
No such thing a a federal hunters license, except for migratory birds, all other hunting licenses are regulated by either a province or a territory. Only the PAL is federaly administered and that is also in compliance with some provincial regs: such as the apprenticeship program or aboriginal rights.

flandersander
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
yeah, what I meant was, in order to get your hunters safety, you need to pass 2 exams. A provincial and a federal. Thats what I was reffering to, sorry for the confusion.

RBB
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Have noticed that if you have a flintlock - you're home free. By law (in Canada) - every flintlock, no matter how new, is considered to be an antique.

Canadian law is very strange. When Czechoslovakia was considered an "enemy nation," a friend with an import license studied Canadian/American import laws and was able, through a legal loop hole, to go up to a gun shop in Thunder Bay, Ontario, buy CZ-75s (then unavailable in the US and very hard for the gun shop to sell to locals) and bring them back to the US. He always figured on it taking several hours to get back into the US, but he had all his ducks in a row and he always made it back with his merchandise. He was pretty unpopular with customs officials on both sides of the border who figured there must, MUST, be something illegal about his transactions.

flandersander
01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Thats funny.

tsitenha
01-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Thats why I didn't mention it in that post, he has no need.......

Ziggy
01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
or even canada...

Treat guns like drugs; if ya got 'em, shut up about 'em, if ya want to buy 'em, careful who you ask....

crashdive123
01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Ziggy - how about shooting on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

wareagle69
01-09-2009, 08:34 AM
as a duel citizen living in canada but raised up in the states where i never was far away from a multitude of firearms i still beleive in the right to bear arms and i live by this philosophy up here (right or wrong)
rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
take it for however you interpret that

artofwoc
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

lol did u get that off of survivor man:P

trax
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
That expression's been around a lot longer than survivorman.

trax
01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Treat guns like drugs; if ya got 'em, shut up about 'em, if ya want to buy 'em, careful who you ask....

uh yeah.....since drugs are generally self-ingested, I'd suggest you don't use guns any time soon.

artofwoc
12-17-2019, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

crashdive123
12-17-2019, 07:37 AM
I hope it wasn't critical advice, since they gave it to you almost 11 years ago.

Rick
12-17-2019, 07:49 AM
We are nothing if not timely.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
12-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Maybe he just got out after making the wrong decision....

Alan