PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Get Wool Long Johns?

RBB
01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Up until a few years ago, I always got my thick wool long johns at the Goodwill or Salvation Army. There were still enough old railroad engineers, sailors, and lumberjacks dieing off to fill a bin with their cast-off wool long johns. I remember buying them for $.25 for a top and $.25 for the bottoms, or $.25 for a union suit (that was a long time ago).

They must have all died off. I've tried synthetic. They either stink to high heaven, after you've worn them, or they don't breath right. I've got some merino wool longies, but they are thin. I've got silk longies, but they're thinner yet. Where can I find some good old fashioned thick wool long johns?

Badawg
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
You can get duofolds at Campmor pretty cheap. I like them as they have a cotton liner and Merino wool exterior.

welderguy
01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
The clothing company Filson makes some real heavy wool LongJohns, my brother told me about them but have never tried there stuff.

here is a place for union suites
http://www.wyoboot.com/unionsuits.htm

Badawg
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Eww... Were those USED underwear???

dougz
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I like them as they have a cotton liner and Merino wool exterior

I was looking at get-ups like that..

But isn't the point not to have cotton against your skin?

red lake
01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
We had a pretty good discussion about this on another board
http://wintertrekking.com/index.php?topic=113.0

Merino wool is pretty well the way to go. I bought a Stanfield union suit and have yet to wear it because it is not virgin wool, therefore very itchy. I will keep washing it hoping it will soften up.

tsitenha
01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I got a bunch of Stanfields wool long johns years ago about ready to get more, the wool itchyness doesn't seem to bother me, go figure.

Kankujoe
01-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Last month I picked up 6 sets of Duofolds Insulayer (45% merino wool & 55% wicking synthetic) at my local Base Exchange. They were on sale for $6.96 per shirt or pants. Normally sells for anywhere from $20-$40 per piece. Last week they were still on sale.

RBB
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Eww... Were those USED underwear???

Woolite does wonders.

RBB
01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I think I've come of with a solution for this problem. I have an old pair of 100% virgin wool pin stripe suit pants from the 1970s. A little elastic around the waist and ankles - and some strategic sewing - and I'll be set.

Badawg
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I think I've come of with a solution for this problem. I have an old pair of 100% virgin wool pin stripe suit pants from the 1970s. A little elastic around the waist and ankles - and some strategic sewing - and I'll be set.

Warm, and quite the fashionista too!

Nativedude
01-15-2009, 01:32 AM
RBB wrote: Up until a few years ago, I always got my thick wool long johns at the Goodwill or Salvation Army. There were still enough old railroad engineers, sailors, and lumberjacks dieing off to fill a bin with their cast-off wool long johns. I remember buying them for $.25 for a top and $.25 for the bottoms, or $.25 for a union suit (that was a long time ago).

They must have all died off. I've tried synthetic. They either stink to high heaven, after you've worn them, or they don't breath right. I've got some merino wool longies, but they are thin. I've got silk longies, but they're thinner yet. Where can I find some good old fashioned thick wool long johns?

RBB,

I too, have silks and Merino "longies". I prefer the silks right next to my skin. I then, layer the merinos over top of the silks. Layering allows for varied temps. and conditions. I can layer 1-2-3 pairs of merinos over my silks and I stay warm, even down to -45 below (which it has gotten down to this winter) without any problem.

Now over top of my silks and merinos I wear wool leggings, a Woolrich heavyweight wool shirt and a Hudson's Bay wool Capote. ;)

The best Merinos I've found come from: www.firstlite.com & www.llbean.com. IMO, they both have a great product! ;)