PDA

View Full Version : The little gun that could!

klkak
01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Now this is what I call getting "survival" food with a "survival" gun!

A single .22 hornet 45gr. hollow point at 66 yards. She took 2 or 3 steps and droped.

By the way, thats me holding the M-6 .22 hornet / .410 .

Pal334
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Well,, I guess that will put any "nay sayers" out of business :)

klkak
01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Well,, I guess that will put any "nay sayers" out of business :)

It should, but I doubt if it will.

Pal334
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
That is the sport of this forum :) You were an ABGD instructor? Bullis , Ft Dix? Retired SF 25 years active duty and Guard here

flandersander
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Nice shot! it bled out quite a bit, where did ya hit it?

klkak
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
That is the sport of this forum :) You were an ABGD instructor? Bullis , Ft Dix? Retired SF 25 years active duty and Guard here

I was an ABGD insturctor at Little Rock AFB. Volant Scorpion.

Pal334
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Heard goodthings about it, but did not have the "pleasure" :)

klkak
01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Nice shot! it bled out quite a bit, where did ya hit it?

It bled out inside. The blood you see in the pic is from when I field dressed it. I then pulled it up to a clear area when my hunting partner got there so he could take a picture of it.

klkak
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Heard goodthings about it, but did not have the "pleasure" :)

I loved everything about that assignment except the trips to JRTC! Whether OPFOR, Controller or Student. Fort Chaffee or Fort Polk. JRTC sucked.

Pal334
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
:) that is putting it mildly. Over all was reasonable experience. Last run through Ft Dix before deploying was disappointing seemed to be dominated by "Raven" instructors. Well the Raven program is an entirely different issue :) .

klkak
01-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I had a friend that was a Raven. Ranger Harper. He was a good man. I didn't know any others.

Pal334
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
My gripe was and is with the whole program, not the guys and gals. Obviously I am in the minority since it has eaten such a big piece of the pie and continues to do so.

Pict
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice hunt. Where did you hit it? Irony aside, that's living proof that a .22 Hornet can take a deer. With such a light round shot placement is critical.

The M6 is a great gun for Alaska. I was totally unprepared for the abundance of small game up there. I had alot of fun going after spruce grouse with a .22 revolver. Mac

klkak
01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice hunt. Where did you hit it? Irony aside, that's living proof that a .22 Hornet can take a deer. With such a light round shot placement is critical.

The M6 is a great gun for Alaska. I was totally unprepared for the abundance of small game up there. I had alot of fun going after spruce grouse with a .22 revolver. Mac

That hunt was on Afognak Island. I did do a bit of stalking to get as close as I could before taking the shot. The shot hit the right side, went through the lung and hit the arteries on top of the heart. Field dressed she weight about 80 pounds.

Gray Wolf
01-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Now this is what I call getting "survival" food with a "survival" gun!

A single .22 hornet 45gr. hollow point at 66 yards. She took 2 or 3 steps and droped.

By the way, thats me holding the M-6 .22 hornet / .410 .

The Dark Green is for envy.... Nice M-6 .22 hornet /.410.

Great shot my friend!

klkak
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
The Dark Green is for envy.... Nice M-6 .22 hornet /.410.

Great shot my friend!

GW, I have faith you will find you another M-6.:)

Stony
01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
the 22. hornet kills game around the globe for - what? 100 years?
only ignorant fools do not know this (fact).

Pal334
01-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Then I guess that by your definition, I am an ignorant fool :). I would have preferred to say uninformed, but to each their own. Typically ignorance is due to lazyness or arrogance.
Oh by the way , this may help with how long the .22 hornet has been around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Hornet#History

Google is such a helpful resource, has helped me to keep my size 10 out of my mouth many times.

Pict
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
That hunt was on Afognak Island. I did do a bit of stalking to get as close as I could before taking the shot. The shot hit the right side, went through the lung and hit the arteries on top of the heart. Field dressed she weight about 80 pounds.

With a lightweight like the .22 Hornet its all about waiting for the right shot or not at all on an animal that size. Obviously it can work if done right.

One thing I've always wondered with the M6 is if it could handle standard pressure .45 Long Colt in the .410 barrel. Even if you hand loaded a mild .45 LC load it would probably work better than a .410 slug (much heavier bullet). It would give you a back-up shot to the .22 Hornet should you miss the vitals.

Mac

klkak
01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
With a lightweight like the .22 Hornet its all about waiting for the right shot or not at all on an animal that size. Obviously it can work if done right.

One thing I've always wondered with the M6 is if it could handle standard pressure .45 Long Colt in the .410 barrel. Even if you hand loaded a mild .45 LC load it would probably work better than a .410 slug (much heavier bullet). It would give you a back-up shot to the .22 Hornet should you miss the vitals.

Mac

One time I tried to slip a 45LC into the .410 chamber and it would not fit. The 45 is just a tad bigger. The chamber would have to be opened up on mine. I do carry a couple of 3in. Brenneke slugs for the .410. But I prefer the accuracy of the hornet.

nell67
01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Then I guess that by your definition, I am an ignorant fool :). I would have preferred to say uninformed, but to each their own. Typically ignorance is due to lazyness or arrogance.
Oh by the way , this may help with how long the .22 hornet has been around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Hornet#History

Google is such a helpful resource, has helped me to keep my size 10 out of my mouth many times.

PAL,just ignore what that member says,everyone else does;)

Pal334
01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
;) Thanks Nell. Usually do. Actually an educational post :) Was only a nibble, not a bite:cool:

klkak
01-11-2009, 06:32 PM

A hundred years? Umm, Where did you learn this tid-bit of information at? Or were you just making it up? I'm leaning toward "you made it up"! But hey, I reckon we've come to expect that from you!

tsitenha
01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
The .22 Hornet's ancestry is generally attributed to experiments done in the 1920s using the black-powder .22 WCF at Springfield Armory. Winchester adopted what had so far been a wildcat cartridge in 1930, producing ammo for a cartridge for which no commercially-made guns yet had been built. It wasn't until 1932 that any company began selling commercially-made guns for the cartridge.

Designer Townshend Whelen / G. L. Wotkyns
Designed 1920's
Manufacturer Winchester
Produced 1930 - Today
Variants .22 Hornet Ackley, .22 K-Hornet

Isn't Google nice?

crashdive123
01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
The .22 Hornet's ancestry is generally attributed to experiments done in the 1920s using the black-powder .22 WCF at Springfield Armory. Winchester adopted what had so far been a wildcat cartridge in 1930, producing ammo for a cartridge for which no commercially-made guns yet had been built. It wasn't until 1932 that any company began selling commercially-made guns for the cartridge.

Designer Townshend Whelen / G. L. Wotkyns
Designed 1920's
Manufacturer Winchester
Produced 1930 - Today
Variants .22 Hornet Ackley, .22 K-Hornet

Isn't Google nice?

So, when somebody says:
only ignorant fools do not know this (fact). they are displaying ignorance and foolishness?

Pal334
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Crash,, shocking isn't it ? :eek:

Pal334
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry Nell,, could not resist :)

tsitenha
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Displayed and enforced.

for - what? 100 years?
Only if the 22 Hornets velocity was able to exceed the time barrier.

Townshend Whelen / G. L. Wotkyns: pretty big names in the firearms legacy

rebel
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Easy does it ya'll. Like it says, if ya' live in a glass house don't throw stones.

Pal334
01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
rebel. You and Nell are right . Standing down.

klkak
01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
rebel. You and Nell are right . Standing down.

Standing down. Thats one of those military terms like "As you were" and "Fall in"

Like when you are acting up a bit and an Officer or NCO catches you and says "As you were". He is really telling you to knock it off, but the words are saying "keep it up"

Reminds me of when Gomer Pile first went into the military. His DS kept telling him to "fall in". Gomer would say "in to what". So the DS made him dig a whole to fall into.:D

Pal334
01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
You hit it on the head. 25 years of military just won't fade away :) . Besides I guess it makes sense to save the "big bite" for when it would actually do some good. And as for "As you were" , this is the way I was. :)

klkak
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
You hit it on the head. 25 years of military just won't fade away :) . Besides I guess it makes sense to save the "big bite" for when it would actually do some good. And as for "As you were" , this is the way I was. :)

I loved the first 15 years of the military.....it was the last five that sucked....well there were a few years in the 80's I didn't care to much for. So I guess I only really enjoyed from 1987 to 1994. The rest of it kinda sucked........except that from 1992 to 1994 I was going to JRTC allot and that really sucked. Ok now what does that leave me with like 2 years that didn't suck. But that 2 years I was working in the MAC terminal. That sucks almost as bad as going to JRTC. I must have had some fun in there somewhere..........I hate to think half my life sucked. :(:(:(

Pal334
01-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I loved the first 15 years of the military.....it was the last five that sucked....well there were a few years in the 80's I didn't care to much for. So I guess I only really enjoyed from 1987 to 1994. The rest of it kinda sucked........except that from 1992 to 1994 I was going to JRTC allot and that really sucked. Ok now what does that leave me with like 2 years that didn't suck. But that 2 years I was working in the MAC terminal. That sucks almost as bad as going to JRTC. I must have had some fun in there somewhere..........I hate to think half my life sucked. :(:(:(

:eek: You must have been inside my head :) There is so much that was good and so much was bad. I always had a dislike (maybe that is too strong a word) for "the machine", but after becoming an NCO, it was the people I really enjoyed. They made the mission enjoyable, even in deployed locations. That attitude about "taking care of the troops" kind of "stunted" my career progression, but when all was said and done, do not regret it. I still get an occassional call or email from some of the guys. And since I had a concurrent career as a Fed, the experiences also helped me .
Naah, I am sure that half your life did not suck.

klkak
01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I have just recently made it one of my goals to take a moose within the next couple of years with the little scout rifle. I have found it not to difficult to get within "slap them in the face" distance. So my plan is to make my shot at less then 25 yards. I will only take a head shot to ensure a clean kill. By the way, it is legal to hunt big game in Alaska with a center fire .22 caliber rifle. Maybe I can pull this off when AKS gets back to Alaska. I have every confidence that the Hornet is up to the task as well as myself.

Pal334
01-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Now that is up close and personal. :) I do believe I am going to keep my eyes open for a Scout. I am easily "led astray: :)

klkak
01-15-2009, 02:52 AM
I have a load that uses a 45gr. Barns XLB, 13grs. Hogdons lil'gun and a small rifle primer. It crono's right at 2700fps in my Ruger 77/22 Hornet and just a tad over 2600fps in my M-6 scout.

klkak
04-16-2009, 02:59 PM
This thread could be moved to the new "Guns and Ammo" page.

rat31465
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=klkak;93036]Now this is what I call getting "survival" food with a "survival" gun!

Being raised an Ozark County farm boy I have had many oppurtunities to witness deer taken with less than ideal caliber/legal firearms. All B.S. aside While not legal here in Missouri...Deer taken with a .22 Magnum don't run any further nor suffer anymore than a deer taken with a Bow... and anything the .22 mag can do the Hornet will do even better still. I have killed 2 whitetails using a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Handload in .223 Rem.....a little more velocity and noise than the Hornet but I love the accurate, quiet and easy to shoot little Hornet round. And so long as you can track and its legal use it. I have never doubted its ability to take game up to Whitetail size and larger if the need were ever to arise.
Nice shooting by the way.