PDA

View Full Version : Epirb - Elt - Plb

crashdive123
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Just a reminder for anybody that has one of the older radio beacons that transmit at 121.5 MHZ or 243.0 MHZ. As of February 1, 2009 they will no longer be monitored (same switch over that will affect analog TV's)

laughing beetle
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Didn't think about that... might make problems for a few people.

trax
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
when I read that headline I thought crash was spitting something up.:D

crashdive123
01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
fur ball.....

MCBushbaby
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I think this conversion is stupid. I remember ice fishing on the lake with a battery-powered 4" TV. Now I have to bring some clunky box with a 2mile extension cord just to watch public access. Stupid digital.

crashdive123
01-13-2009, 02:16 PM
From the FCC DTV Conversion web site:
Portable, battery-powered analog televisions can receive over-the-air digital programming if they are connected to a digital-to-analog converter box and a separate broadcast antenna. The battery-powered analog television must have an "antenna in" port in order to connect it to a digital-to-analog converter box. Also, if local utility power service is not available, another power source will be needed to supply power to the digital-to-analog converter box. There are several options available for consumers to supply back-up power to a digital-to-analog converter box. These external power sources include rechargeable battery packs, uninterruptible power supplies, car battery adapters, and small power generators. Also, there is at least one converter box manufacturer that offers a separate battery pack for its converter box. Check with your local and online retailers for further information on these devices.

Another option for consumers is to obtain a battery-powered digital television. Battery-powered digital televisions are marked with words such as “Integrated Digital Tuner,” “Digital Tuner Built-in,” “Digital Receiver,” “DTV,” “ATSC” or “HDTV.” Check with your local electronics stores or online retailers for product availability.
It is also important to note that consumers still can turn to their battery-powered radios for important information during weather emergencies.

sgtdraino
01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Anybody care to explain what the point of this conversion is?

endurance
01-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Anybody care to explain what the point of this conversion is?
The story I've heard is to free up bandwidth for public safety agencies and also new devices since digital uses a much more compressed format. There's talk about Google having several proposals for new long range wifi formats and such.

Mostly I think it's because the HDTV gurus went to Capital Hill with a bunch of big shiny boxes that displayed pretty moving pictures of Discovery Channel content and they were mesmerized and thought "I gotta get me one of these". The rest, as they say, is history.:rolleyes:

crashdive123
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I believe Endurance hit the nail on the head. Found this explanation:

Why Are We Switching to Digital Television Signals?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has decided that, on February 17, 2009, all full-power TV stations must cease broadcasting on their current analog channels and switch completely over to digital channels. Although this may seem like a big, useless nuisance, there really are good reasons to make the switch to DTV.

Sound and picture quality
For the average consumer, the switch to digital TV broadcasts only means better picture and sound quality. A digital signal doesn't suffer from the same degradation as an analog signal. Remember the days when your favorite show would drift in and out of audio and visual "snow?" With digital broadcasts, that snow is permanently melted.

Digital signals also mean that movies broadcast over the air can now appear in their original widescreen format instead of being cut down to fit the smaller television screen.

More options
A digital signal can carry more information than an analog signal, so more sound and video options can travel to your TV set. A DTV signal can offer multiple programming choices (called multicasting) as well as interactive capabilities. For example, a station can broadcast a transmission in high definition, for those HDTV users out there, or, using the same bandwidth, can transmit up to three standard-definition (SDTV) transmissions; that's three different shows on one digital channel.

Clearing up resources
The most important reason to make the switch to a digital signal is because it will free up valuable portions of the broadcast spectrum, which can then be used for other purposes, such as advanced wireless services and for public and safety services. Plus, networks and TV stations can stop spending the time, money, effort, and electricity doing double duty and transmitting both analog and digital signals.

It appears that the "beacons" will be changing over at the same time for similar reasons.

tipacanoe
01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Just a reminder for anybody that has one of the older radio beacons that transmit at 121.5 MHZ or 243.0 MHZ. As of February 1, 2009 they will no longer be monitored (same switch over that will affect analog TV's)

There was an article in the paper last week, that about 70% of private plane owners haven't replace their devices at the time of the article. I know that the ships we build have them as well, because they aren't installed until just before trials, the supervisor had the epib on his desk, and some one just couldn't leave it alone, and before long we had calls coming in from the Coast Guard wanting to now if we had a problem.

MCBushbaby
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Changing an infrastructure is a major pain in the ***. I don't think the FCC realizes this. You can't just say, "buy these converter boxes" and expect all to be fine. If the beacons change and the whole worldwide communications switches to digital, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Which is one reason, in my IT job, I run whenever someone proposes a database or hardware redesign.

endurance
01-16-2009, 03:39 PM
I could care less about the TV thing, as the worst case scenario is that 10 million Americans will wake up one day and have nothing but static, but the beacon thing is insane to me. How many folks even pay attention to beacons in their life rafts and onboard their airplanes until they actually need them? It's not nearly the bandwidth as the TV channels comprised and now you're putting thousands of mariners and pilots at risk.

bulrush
01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
As of Jan 18, 2009, the whole state of Hawaii has completely shut off all analog TV transmissions and all TV is now digital. I didn't get the scoop why they went early, but it was no NPR.