PDA

View Full Version : Edible & Medicinal Plants & Mushrooms Database

HostepherBobbins
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Any idea where I can get more on this? I just bought a mortar and pestle.

That's awesome! Thanks!

crashdive123
01-06-2009, 07:11 PM
We have quite a few forum members that are very knowledgeable in wild edibles. If you have some specifics, head on over to the Homestead Gardening or the Survival Food sections and ask away. Also, try the search button, as your answer may already be here. In the meantime, head on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

vthompson
01-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Why don't they have the common name of the plants on the edible an medicinal data base instead of the scientific name? That way you would know what you are looking up.

crashdive123
01-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Why don't they have the common name of the plants on the edible an medicinal data base instead of the scientific name? That way you would know what you are looking up.

While we (you and I) are more familiar with the common names, it is important to learn the scientific names. There are so many different plants that go by the same common names - some edible - some medicinal - some poisonous. So it is important to be exactly right when talking about wild edibles.....just my .03.

vthompson
01-22-2009, 12:07 AM
You are right crashdive, I never thought of it like that. I suppose that I have got some learning to do.

crashdive123
01-22-2009, 06:11 AM
As do I...

vthompson
01-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I got on the internet today, and did a little research on edible & medicinal wild plants. I know a few but I want to learn a whole lot more. I ordered two books from Amazon that had color photographs to go along with the description of the plants and I ordered a DVD about wild plants as well.
The few plants that I do know, I learned from my grandpa whenever I used to run the hills with him looking for ginsing and yellowroot. And my grandmother took care of the medicinal end of things. She could put a doctor to shame and folks from all around her neighborhood would come to her for help and I never seen her turn anyone away.
They are both gone now but their memory lives on in my heart. I just wish that I would have paid better attention to them both whenever I had the chance.

Chris
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
They're listed both ways, scientific names by default, but look closer, there is a link to view everything by common name.

vthompson
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Chris, I feel like a big dummy now, I swear that I looked right over top of that. Thank's for bringing it to my attention.

crashdive123
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Don't feel bad VT - you're not the only one that missed it.:o