PDA

View Full Version : Dome Sweet Dome !

diggler
01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.dome4home.com/i/pics/bu/05.jpg
http://www.dome4home.com/i/pics/z/dome4home_domes11.jpg
http://www.dome4home.com/i/pics/z/dome4home_domes16.jpg

Without a doubt...the ultimate in wilderness living !

noah6155
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
thats pretty cool

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Pretty nice. Are the pics from a manufacturer? Do they sell kits? Costs?

SARKY
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Very cool! I've always liked dome homes. I hope to have my own one day, although I think I am going with a monolithic dome as opposed to a geodesic dome.

SARKY
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey crash,
for your neck of the woods (you do get hurricanes where you are, don't you?) you might be better off with a Monolithic dome home. They've had some of these built on the barrier islands and they have been thru several hurricanes with little or no damage. Another plus is that they can be earth bermed for increased heating/cooling efficency. I think their web address is monolithicdomes.com

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm really kind of suprised that you don't see more dome construction around here or areas that are more prone to severe weather.

Stairman
01-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Id like to see the building inspector scratchin his head on that one.But sweet indeed.Nice deck too.

primeelite
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Would be nice to sit one of these way out somewhere on a property or camping ground to just have a small place to get away to and not have to stay in a tent. The design is pretty cool and I am surprised they hold up so well.

Stairman
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
The final landscape is beautiful,but different then the construction site.Did they trailor it out?If so I think 16 ft is the max width.That sure looks wider to me with the deck and all.

RunsWithDeer
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I looked up the site named on the photos: http://www.dome4home.com/index_en.html

They are based in Israel, not much information on the site as to specs, and no listing of US dealers. It is a kit though.

diggler
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
It just doesn't make sense to build homes the old fashioned way....only to see them again being burned, blown and crushed the old fashioned way. Hurricanes, fires, twisters, earthquakes and the like can eventually be treated as just a minor passing nuisance when enlightened robust structures are built. Monolithic domes have some obvious advantages, but their air form building process can be kind of tricky, which is why the geodesic design is such an attractive alternative.

Anyways, there are some brave folk who go against the popular building trends and have their own ideas of what a house should really look like:

For the last 21/2 years Don Steelman has poured his energy, savings and time into a unique home that rises like a huge bubble from the flat landscape.
When the monolithic dome is finished in a couple of months, he said it'll be virtually indestructible. Fire-proof and built to withstand most natural disasters, the spacious residence will stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter while yielding significant energy savings.

Unusual design will stand for centuries (http://www.mohavedailynews.com/articles/2008/03/24/news/top_story/top1.txt)

primeelite
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I have seen in Germany where they are building domes overtop of the actual house and it regulates heat/cold through the dome which is a lot more energy efficient. I think it may be coming to the states soon if it works out well there. It replaces furnace/ac and everything for the most part but it does have a very small optional furnace for areas that get colder then -5 F during winter.

diggler
01-05-2009, 07:11 AM
I have seen in Germany where they are building domes overtop of the actual house and it regulates heat/cold through the dome which is a lot more energy efficient. I think it may be coming to the states soon if it works out well there. It replaces furnace/ac and everything for the most part but it does have a very small optional furnace for areas that get colder then -5 F during winter.

Now that I would like to SEE ! :)

skunkkiller
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
that is cool i would not want to do the roofing and i do like the log walls just cool.

Badawg
01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I happen to have a 17' portable 1v dome in the back yard right now. It's built from 4" PVC and I am redesigning the connectors and will be making a vinyl skin for it.

Dennis K.
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I drive by Italy, TX every day on my way to work (That's pronounced "IT-ly")
Those domes are pretty neat. I'm a little wary of the claims that it will stay near 78 degrees for only $16-$20 per month in the Mohave. The ground temp there can go over 100.
As far as strength, though, I've heard they don't even shake in 60mph+ straightline winds.

I played w/ their cost estimator at monolithic.com. put in something similar to my current home. Costs about 100K more than my current home and 900 sq ft smaller.

vthompson
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I like the looks of that. I wouldn't mind me and momma living in something like that.

Badawg
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I have direct experience with portable ones in 60 ++ MPH winds and thewy do pretty well when well attached to the ground. I also saw a 24' 2V dome go sailing though, and one guy tried to hang onto it ang got a "no expenses paid" trip to the ER in Reno where the reset his collar bone and 3 ribs and casted his arm. And the dome ate 2 cars... Burning Man is always willing to test your materials.