PDA

View Full Version : Winter Survival Kit

RBB
01-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Every winter I put together a winter travel kit. By spring it is so much trash and I shovel it out of the car. I'm a bit late this year, but after the 40 mile trek to work tonight, 34 of it on back roads with the snow hitting the floor boards all the way, I can see it is time. I've been driving this route for 20 years and have only needed to use any of these items about three or four times, but was sure glad I had them those few times.

There are houses along part of the route, but certain sections would require a long walk. Given the whiteout conditions tonight - you might be best off staying with the vehicle.

What I usually carry:

Snow shoes
Winter mocs
Two pairs wool socks
Wool trousers
Wool blanket shirt
Canvas anorek
Wool tuque
Military extreme cold weather mitts
Wool blankets
Down sleeping bag
Sheath knife
Tinder box (w/flint & steel)
Matches (in waterproof container)
Sterno (w/ little stove)
10 candy and energy bars
Chewing gum
Chewing tobacco
Couple of paperbacks
Bread rolls
Tunafish (in dry pack)
Hamburger (in dry pack)
Quart canteen of water (needs to be taken in every trip)

Any suggestions?

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Looks like you've got the essentials covered. More importantly, you've used it, so you know it works for you.

Sourdough
01-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I am guessing you have other stuff that lives in the rig. But for the enlightenment of others I would have two shovels (they do break), set of "V" Bar ice chains, nylon tow strap, two 50# bags of sand, and maybe a come-a-long.

tsitenha
01-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I have similar items, along with an ax, a swede saw, candle/lantern (to read the paperbacks with). Extra water....
A tea pot to melt extra water (needed if you eat anything at all) and make tea/coffee, small pot to warm food in (a warm meal in your belly is nice)
A CB/FRS/GMRS/radio or cell phone radio whatever works best in your coverage area.

primeelite
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I can't really think of anything else you would need. That far out from anyone I don't know if signaling materials would do much good for you because no one would be out to see it. I guess if it really came down to needing a real big signaling if you got desperate you could just light the car you traveled in on fire haha.

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Primeelite - You laugh about it, but there are some things on your vehicle that when lit make for excellent signaling. (Don't burn the vehicle, it's a pretty decent shelter) Spare tire (with 4 back-ups if needed) lit on fire produces a very heavy black smoke.

ricm123
01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Every winter I put together a winter travel kit. By spring it is so much trash and I shovel it out of the car. I'm a bit late this year, but after the 40 mile trek to work tonight, 34 of it on back roads with the snow hitting the floor boards all the way, I can see it is time. I've been driving this route for 20 years and have only needed to use any of these items about three or four times, but was sure glad I had them those few times.

There are houses along part of the route, but certain sections would require a long walk. Given the whiteout conditions tonight - you might be best off staying with the vehicle.

Any suggestions?

I've heard of cases where stranded motorists were able to use small alcohol heaters to keep vehicle interior warmed up in severe cold. This is if you elect to remain with the vehicle.

The type I'm referring to is usually a pipe tobacco can (must have a metal lid that seals). Packed with old 100% cotton tee shirt. 91 % isopropyl will burn fine. No holes punched; just open lid and toss in a match.

Of course, caution needs to be used burning inside a vehicle and windows need to be cracked. The folks I've talked to who have done this did not keep the can burning all night, but lit it for about 10 mins about every 1/2 hour just to keep the cabin above freezing. (The metal lid snuffs it right out.) They also cranked engine for heat, but conserved fuel by using the can between engine warm ups.

I've used these in tents. They do stink, but won't overcome you (or kill you) as long as some fresh air is circulated. The yellow bottle of "Heet" or denatured probably burn cleaner than 91% iso.... I've yet to try it in this type stove. (The cheap 70% iso does not work well at all.)

Also best to "pre-burn" this outdoors to burn off all the paint before using in any enclosed area.

The hard part is finding a can with a good metal lid these days. (I bought some expensive cookies to acquire a proper can.)

Riverrat
01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I have an old tobacco can (metal), put in a roll of TP with the center taken out, this has to be a snug fit, and use methyl hydrate to burn, clear, clean flame, can does not get hot, and cover puts if out. Have used this a coupe of times in the past. Works great.

MCBushbaby
01-04-2009, 07:10 PM
You could always get those oxygen candles used in the space station. They put off more oxygen than they burn and I think they have some kind of filter to deal with any smoke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator#Oxygen_candle

Don't know the heat output quality other than "smolders at 600F".

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I've used chlorate candles before (military issue on submarines). I wouldn't recommend them for heating a vehicle in winter.

Gray Wolf
01-05-2009, 01:41 AM
The Esbit Compact fold-up stove, using the Esbit fuel tabs, are safe to use in a vehicle, and work great. I've used them many times, even just to make a cup of coffee on the side of the road without getting out of the van.

Nativedude
01-05-2009, 03:17 AM
A hand held short-wave two-way radio. They're great in an emergency situation! :D

I have one in my cabin in AK. Rarely do I use it, but in an emergency, it's there. I have a solar charger to keep it charged. I charge it about every 3 months.

I have talked to my buddy in Taiwan a couple of times.

primeelite
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah I guess that is right the tires would always make the best smoke since it would be a dark black. I guess if it came down to it in signaling a front light would do if you break it down right.

crashdive123
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
So will the horn if the battery isn't dead. Mirrors come of fairly easy too.