PDA

View Full Version : Means Of Protection

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Hey all, I have come across a small delema. So, I am 14 and my mom (single parent) doesn't like guns what so ever. So, the only guns i have is a couple of airsoft guns and a metal BB gun. Now, I am going need your help in making a decition, what should I use for protection/ gathering food in the wilderness (camping, stranded, ect.)? Should i always be carrying my bb/airsoft gun(s), or would I be better off to bring a little hatchet or my hunting knife? Pros, Cons? Any help in making this decition would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

huntermj
01-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Hi Nickjames, I guess my first question would be, protection from what? Then regardless of what the answer was i would recommend bear spray.
Edit to includ instruction on its proper use by an adult.

AKS
01-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi Nickjames, I guess my first question would be, protection from what? Then regardless of what the answer was i would recommend bear spray.
Edit to includ instruction on its proper use by an adult.

Yea bear spray, and a heavy duty walking stick. Like Teddy said, "Walk softly and carry a Big Stick."

wareagle69
01-04-2009, 09:15 AM
yup agree with others up top for animals and humans- see the problem with some folks carrying a weapon is that it can be taken away from you and used against you.Your best weapon at home and in the bush is always be aware of your surroundings, practice walking into a room and truley studying who and what is there for a few minutes then go outside and see if you can say what was in there or even just close your eyes, what kind of car was parked out front color how long, as you practice these skills over theyears they will come more naturally, you will learn habbits from about city folks as well as bush critters, you will know when something is out of place. also prevention is key, first don't look like a victim second don't advertise what ya got. at 14 it is a good time to get into great physical condition and start learning a style of self defense that works best something like krav maga or brazillian ju jitsu and boxing need to combine these styles for the best results.

snakeman
01-04-2009, 09:20 AM
an airsoft gun won't protect you from much. knife would be better and you could make a spear.

Stairman
01-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Maybe you can trade up for a pump bb gun.Dont shoot your eye out!Or get some of that pepper spray women carry on there key chains,and yes a knife or two.Thing is,we were all 14 once and I remember shooting things with my bb gun,for kicks,that I shoulnt have.Peer pressure and boredom sometimes drums up goofy ideas that responsible adults would frown on.Take a hunter safety course and show you can use a gun for its intended purpose.Have you thought of a bow and arrows?One thing a single mom dont need is a lawsuit for a broken window,injured cat etc.

RunsWithDeer
01-04-2009, 10:27 AM
In addition to protection, you mentioned gathering food. For that you may want to consider trapping since a firearm is not an option. Snares would be the simplest method, but hard to learn to make and set up. Conibear and foot holds traps work great too, but not easy to make yourself, best to purchased.

There is some good info on here regarding the use of snares.

tsitenha
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
NJ, try to join a boy scout group in your area, at 14 try also a fish and game club in your area to get some decent info on the outdoors, camping, hunting, fishing, trapping etc.....
from your post you do seem to have a "romantic, extreme situation" idea of the outdoors.... listen/understand the boy scout motto

your best protection right now is knowledge, right minded knowledge

In Kanata a 14 yr old would not get bear spray in any store I know of without a parent there.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Alright all, so i have been fishing since i was 4 or 5 years old and i love the outdoors i just dont have alot of experiance for the survival point of it. Also, i have a friend who i have been snaring and trapping small game like rabbits, muscrat ect. so i have a little experiance in that. So from what i have read my best bet would be to carry a couple hunting knives a walking stick and bear mace?
Nick

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Nickjames - forget weapons, just bring your friend. It helps if he is slower than you.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
lol. The only thing is he is alot older and taller than i am. Flandersander, he is the friend i am talking about. Since my dad left me when i was 7 so he acted like my dad and did lots of thing with me. Dirtbiking, fishing, hunting, trapping, skidooing ect. But anyways, he is also ALOT fast than i am lol :)

welderguy
01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Nickjames - forget weapons, just bring your friend. It helps if he is slower than you.

the bear spray would assure your friend will be slower.

Seriously, I wouldnt carry a air soft weapon any place for two reasons,

1. they look too real and can cause you problems if you on public land and someone thinks there is a kid with a gun, not to mention jumpy LEO.

2. its a false sense of security that will do you no good against any agressor 2 or 4 legged.

as for food procurement, I would go with trapping and snares.

and I think it is a good idea to always carry a good knife, for a lot of reasons.
as well as a walking stick. and dont forget a compass.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
alright, thanks welderguy

Sourdough
01-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Alright all, so i have been fishing since i was 4 or 5 years old and i love the outdoors i just dont have alot of experiance for the survival point of it. Also, i have a friend who i have been snaring and trapping small game like rabbits, muscrat ect. so i have a little experiance in that. So from what i have read my best bet would be to carry a couple hunting knives a walking stick and bear mace?
Nick

Young people are give tools, when the adult supervisor is sure they are mature enough. I Bought my first firearm at age nine, and my second at age ten. With my money, which came hard back in the 1950's.

I would invite you to look in the mirror, and ask, "Am I illustrating maturity, what could I change in my behavior, that would give my Mother confidence in my being a responsible young man".

My Father left his Fathers home at age 14. I left my fathers home at age 15, got two jobs, finished High School, and did four years at Rochester Institute of technology. (NOTE: this is what real world survival looks like).........

I am "NOT" encouraging you to leave home. I am encouraging you to look at who you choose as friends, how much respect you show adults, and to be responsible for your choices (actions) in life.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you hopeak. So, i have done all that but the only thing is my mom needs to get a hunters saftey first to buy a gun and she doesnt want to buy it. She doesnt like guns or anything like that so i dont have much left of a choice.
Nick

Sourdough
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Life deals some hard cards sometimes. But you have to play the hand you were dealt, not the cards you wish you were dealt.

Or, as my friend who is a contractor, Say's when he bids a job to low and it is clear that he is going to loose money, "Stick and Stay, and "MAKE" it Pay".

Things will get rougher in life, but play the cards you have as best as you can.

tsitenha
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
NJ, in Kanata, for firearms, you need to get an FAC course..you can combine that course with the hunter safety course. With your mothers permission and the help of Flandersander you could get into a hunter apprenticeship program. If you are first nation then elders can help you.

Don't start carrying knives as weapons you'll just get into a world of hurt.
They are tools and only tools to facilitate the task at hand. Don't loose sight of what you want to accomplish.

Riverrat
01-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I spent the better part of my childhood in the woods with a small folding knife, hatchet and walking stick, and as tsitenha said, these are tools. I never carried a firearm until I was 16, and then only in hunting season. Why do you need protection? If it is just for food, then trapping is the way to go. If you are worried about bears, then get bear spray. You need the training to use firearms safely, get the training, take the courses, then get your guns.

huntermj
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I would like to say Thank you and Good Job to Flandersander for being a mentor. I believe every kid needs a good male and female role model in their life. Some may not agree with me but thats O.K. thats what i believe and i am not going to argue about it. Nickjames kudos to you for being open to learn from others. Many people do not learn that untill much later in life, like me.

Jim

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I agree with huntermj. And thank you for the great complement.So, is a hunting knife, walking stick, and bear mase all good or should i carry something more?
Nick

Sourdough
01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree with huntermj. And thank you for the great complement.So, is a hunting knife, walking stick, and bear mase all good or should i carry something more?
Nick

What about a slingshot.....pocket'rocket.

huntermj
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Pocket rockets:eek: i could go on all day.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Pocket' rocket? can you please tell me what kind you mean cause i know like 5 things called "pocket rockets.
Nick
P.S. lmao huntermj

RangerXanatos
01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
If you are scared of some of the animals, you could take fire crackers like M90's and what not to scare them away before you even meet.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Ranger, that is a great idea because now that you ay that i just realized i have a box of 100 firecrakers.

Sourdough
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Pocket' rocket? can you please tell me what kind you mean cause i know like 5 things called "pocket rockets.
Nick
P.S. lmao huntermj

Sorry "Wrist Rocket" it is a quality slingshot.

crashdive123
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Please DO NOT wander through the woods lighting firecrackers!

flandersander
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Nick, i know a guy that does hunter safety programs. He can help ya out there. As for getting a PAL (posession and aquisition liscense) you need to be 18. I can talk to your mom about it, we'll see what happens from there. I could even take you hunting next year. That is, if you pass the hunters safety course. Your mom can take you aswell.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Crash, i wouldnt only way i would is if i am near my camp site and there is a hole in a shrub where i am i would just set one or two off every hour or so
Nick

RangerXanatos
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't place them in the shrubs or anywhere where there is a chance it might catch anything on fire. If you can time them in the air or in a hole in the ground. And remember to pick up any pieces.

Nickjames
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
KK, thanks flanders we will descuss more on the phone or whatever.

primeelite
01-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Protection wise the best thing you can do is learn your situation inside and out. Study many survival guides and read here. You can survive without a gun and protect yourself without a gun. A good slingshot works fine as well as and the bear spray will do everything you need to. If you are looking for home protection than you can use a baseball bat, slingshot, or various other items in your house that you could hit someone with. I am all for guns but if you are not able to own one there are plenty of other options.