PDA

View Full Version : USGI MSS review is in

MCBushbaby
01-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Review of the Modular Sleeping System (http://bushmastery.blogspot.com/2009/01/review-of-usgi-mss-8465-01-445-6274.html)

Overall good insulation, construction and feel; hate the hood cinch, zippers are a bit of a bother at first, a bit heavy and large pack size.

Stairman
01-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Ive looked at these but dont need a bag for temps that cold.I know the hood is important to have in place,drawn snug and a beenie worn over the head with warm socks helps.I dont believe the temp ratings on any bag.Ball park figures yes but I have a 30 degree bag that will no way keep you warm at even 40 degree.Found that out the hard way.Stuff sacks work great though for compressing things down.I figure here in the south a zero rating is adequete.You can always open them up a little and while I dont want to sweat sleeping I dont want to be cold either.I remember in Boy Scouts I was bought a youth bag and on one trip to the Okeefeokee I froze to death and didnt sleep a wink.

Badawg
01-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Nice review. Think I will stick with my Blue Kazoo... It's 16 years old but with a liner it's plenty warm for my neighborhood.

RunsWithDeer
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice thorough review, let us know if you can improve the cinch.

dougz
01-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the follow-up!

jbphotoinc
01-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi, i was wondering how far you have been able to compress your system down to and also if you have had a chance to test it in any other conditions. I just picked up a mss system off ebay and waiting for it to come in. I think that i may have picked up the "newer" system (nsn w9124q-05-d-0826) then the one you have. The only differences i have been able to conclude through various descriptions is an ACU pattern Bivy, Grey and green bags, and a smaller compression size. Any info on your system is very helpful.

thanks james

MCBushbaby
01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi, i was wondering how far you have been able to compress your system down to

About the size of an elongated basketball. Certainly not anything small enough to put into my 4200cu.in. pack... unless you're only going to carry the MSS inside.

and also if you have had a chance to test it in any other conditions.
It warmed up a couple days ago and I put it in shallow puddle of meltwater. So long as the zipper styed above water level it was fine.

I just picked up a mss system off ebay and waiting for it to come in. I think that i may have picked up the "newer" system (nsn w9124q-05-d-0826) then the one you have. The only differences i have been able to conclude through various descriptions is an ACU pattern Bivy, Grey and green bags, and a smaller compression size. Any info on your system is very helpful.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3704/f2b11sblft2.jpg

That's the first time I saw any alphanumeric combination on a NSN, funny. I can't get any hits off my usual online government NSN catalogs so I can't compare, sorry. But the tag says Tennier so you're golden regardless of differences. The woodland camo MSS is about 5-* years old. Therefor I'm thinking your bag insulation may be a new kind of Polarguard3D or similar. Let me know if you have the same cinch problem. Hopefully the military fixed it.

MANABA
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
You really need only one or the other on the bags. Thicker is cold weather, Thinner is for warmer weather. You shouldnt try to carry both unless you are unsure of weather change or are staying put in one place. Remember these bags are designed for the military on a spectrum ( different types of troops). I only use the thin bag due to constant movement and packing size. Poncho liners add to the warmth of the bag at the feet and a watch cap on the head. Just my opinion but Ive used these systems since they started, found them to be excellent for just about anything. Although after years of washing and abuse the gortex does start to leak through. Clean properly as outlined in the instructions.:)

jbphotoinc
01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, i am a photographer headed out to Utah in mid march as a photo trip. I wanted to go with a system like this to eliminate a tent due to bulk and gear. Do forgive me about the NSN number, i may stand to be corrected. However if you put either the (8465-01-445-6274) or the (w9124q-05-d-0826) into google you get two separate bags. The one with the W supposedly is a lighter weight, more compact system but only time will tell. Hopefully ill have the bag by the end of this week and give it a shot in the backyard this weekend with projected temperatures in the 30s.

thanks again