PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to the Yukon

Beast
09-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I have been fascinated with the Yukon Region for years, and have recently decided to go on a camping trip there with maybe a small team or by myself. I have always liked solitude, and the Yukon seems like a great place to find it.Since I am only about to turn 16, this will obviously be in many years, but hopefully before my physical prime passes. I hope to embark on this sometime after my days in the Marines. I dont know what i would take but it would be relativly basic, such as a Knife, a couple of days worth of MRE's incase things go bad, and a hunting rifle. I think i'll start saving now, maybe a few hundred dollars a year into a bank account, and when i'm ready to leave, i can empty it and buy my supplies such as cold weather clothing and sat-radios. What do you guys think? I'm in pretty good shape, I'm a SSGT in AFJROTC, and Just yesterday took 1st place in my flight for number of pushups in a minute. ( 61 in 60 seconds)

eddiec
09-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Sweet, man! I haven't done 61 pushups, cumulatively, in the last 10 years! Good luck on your expedition, buddy. I have heard that it's beautiful there all year around.

owl_girl
09-15-2007, 12:53 PM
How long are you planning on staying up there and what time of year are you planning on going? If its your first time it would be a good idea to go with someone.

FVR
09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Wow, that was my dream when I was your age. Backpack across Canada. I then I joined the USMC and travelled the world.

61 pushups, not too shabby. Better start on those sit ups, pull ups and your run.

You did make me feel good as I can still pump out 40 in a minute. Not like back in the day when I had to do 100 correct Marine Corps Airborne pushups in 2 minutes, followed by 20 pullups, no time limit, then 60 sit ups in a minute, and to top it off a 4 mile run in boots. First two miles you had to come in at 13 min or less, the last two they gave you a full 16 minutes.

Semper Fi.

Beast
09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I plan on a week or two and i want to go in the winter, I prefer cold over hear anyway, and the snow is what i love.

owl_girl
09-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I plan on a week or two and i want to go in the winter, I prefer cold over hear anyway, and the snow is what i love.
Then hopefully you’ll get the chance to see the northern lights, the winter months are so dark the northern lights get so bright over there.