PDA

View Full Version : Bear trap

Stairman
01-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I have a dozen or so smaller steel traps and aquired a bear trap a few years back.Its 35 inches long and I havent found anyone fat enough to push down the springs yet.They must have used some kind of clamps to set it I dont know.Its just propped up in the livin room for a conversation piece but I figured I would have got it set by now to see if it would snap a 2x4 in half like I was told.I cant imagine these being legal anymore and I pitty anyone stepping in it.The pad reads #15 bear trap.Supposedly they make one more thats bigger at almost 48inches long.

Sourdough
01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
"C" Clamps, preferably with acme type thread. Do you have any Interest in selling the trap....??? What Company made the trap....??

Stairman
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
No I wouldnt sell it but the maker is Duke Traps out of Westpoint Miss.

Sourdough
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok'dokie..........

RBB
01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
To even have one in working condition is illegal where I live - conversation piece or not. They are in the same category as spring guns. My grandfather had one, as a wall hanger, but the jaws were welded in an open position. If they are not illegal where you live - the civil liability for ever having one set would be enormous.

A relation stepped in one, years ago. It had been there so long the chain had rusted off. He walked out with it attached to his leg, but he lost the leg.

Stairman
01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
They still build and sell them.You can order one today.Mine has spikes around the jaws.I looked up the Dukes site and saw no message of them being for display only.I figure eventually they will quit making them.I paid 150.00 for mine years ago from I believe the Sportsmans Guide.

RunsWithDeer
01-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I see them at sporting goods stores on the walls as decoration. They are quite impressive, I wonder too how they set them back in the day.

I also doubt they are legal anywhere to actually use. I had not heard of them being illegal to own. I saw one for sale locally at a flea market awhile ago, was pretty pricey or I would have picked it up.

RBB
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I see them at sporting goods stores on the walls as decoration. They are quite impressive, I wonder too how they set them back in the day.

I also doubt they are legal anywhere to actually use. I had not heard of them being illegal to own. I saw one for sale locally at a flea market awhile ago, was pretty pricey or I would have picked it up.

I probably should have checked before making so sweeping a statement. I can say that I've never seen one that wasn't welded or otherwise incapacitated.

For a video of a real dim bulb:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/403965/man_vs_bear_trap/

Ole WV Coot
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Did someone say Acme? The Roadrunner has tried those traps since I was a kid. I would C clamp it open, very carefully and weld carefully and make a wallhanger. Haven't seen once in years and that was in Northern Maine.

rockymtnchief
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I probably should have checked before making so sweeping a statement. I can say that I've never seen one that wasn't welded or otherwise incapacitated.

For a video of a real dim bulb:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/403965/man_vs_bear_trap/

That bulb wasn't dim...it's completely burned out!

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
What an idiot. Did he think he could pull his arm back before it closed, or that it wouldn't hurt? I've always said that if stupid was painful, there would be less of it. Looks like I may have been wrong.

ClayPick
01-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Shine up one of them Darwin Awards!

RBB
01-04-2009, 03:28 AM
Went and looked at a couple of bear traps. The one the idiot stuck his fist in must be a fairly small one. According to some of the local old farts, the larger ones couldn't be opened without clamps.

AKS
01-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Any body familiar with Bill Engvall's work? Stupid people should wear signs that say "I'm stupid"
("I've got an idea. I'm gonna stick my arm in a set bear trap. Here hold my sign, I don't want it to get in the way.")