PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time Soon

Ole WV Coot
01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Think I mentioned my 4X4 pickup died an untimely death at the young age of 15 and I am forced to get a 4X4. I have a 12' trailer I just used for the ATV and got the Jeep urge since I really don't need a truck, but have always owned one. I thought about a Jeep Wrangler to tow the trailer and would double as a haul anything with trailer. I need some pros & cons on this since I seldom hauled much in the truck bed in the last few years and the last Jeep I had was a WWII surplus:eek:

MCBushbaby
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Wranglers have horrible reviews on Consumer Reports, and are generally advertised towards the psuedo-offroader. I had a 91 Cherokee which was great off-roading but pieces failed left and right. Besides for electronics which I never needed anyway (like the radio dying), the alternator quit, the radiator stopped working while I was 50 miles in the bush on a 90F day and needed flushing, and the emergency brake stopped working. If you want actual 4x4 power and quality, keep looking at pickups. F150 pre-1990 was the standard, I'm not sure what is now.

backtobasics
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I've heard bad things about jeeps, never owned one tho. My wife drives a Durango, its comfortable but has a few draw backs like milage, visability due to the huge side mirrors, and the heater cores seem to give out early and are a pain to replace. That being said the four wheel drive works great. I drive a Ford ranger 4x4 and it has over 170,000 miles on it and it works great. Don't really care for the push botton four wheel drive tho. If I were to buy a full size truck I'd probably look at the F150 also.

Ole WV Coot
01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks, I guess I better do a little backing up on a Jeep. Used ones are outta sight around here. A clean 99 Wrangler Sport with 120,000 on it belonging to a guy I know wants $8000. and its an automatic. I bought an F-150 in 1980 and it would go anywhere, nothing extra. I just need the basic 6 on a Jeep soft top and heater, nothing else. Price around Lexington is 10,000 off an 09, less than a used 05 thru 08. Wife won't be using it, so pickup or whatever really don't matter. Will do some searching for the Ford, appreciate anything else anyone can think of. Mileage isn't a concern, only had 70,000 on the 15yr old one. Decent price is tough here, everyone has a 4X4.

Sourdough
01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
From what I am hearing Coot, why not contact the Utility Companies, and find out when they are going to auction off used 4X4 trucks.

Ole WV Coot
01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
From what I am hearing Coot, why not contact the Utility Companies, and find out when they are going to auction off used 4X4 trucks.

Ain't a bad idea if I can find someone that's working that I know. I spent 32yrs driving different trucks from telsta to Rangers and every type for a utility and I NEVER walked. I always drove to the job, then called a wrecker to pull me out. I wasn't a model employee I guess. I totaled several and wrinkled new ones days old. Those are run hard and overloaded. A 3/4 ton van I drove had to have a wrecker to change a tire so I never carried a jack or spare. Good idea if you know who drove it.:rolleyes:

palm stalker
01-02-2009, 12:00 AM
hey coot,why not repair the one u have?was it the engine? 2k rebuild is cheaper than a new truck.. and u know the history.. im a 40 yr auto/truck technition

Ole WV Coot
01-02-2009, 12:40 AM
hey coot,why not repair the one u have?was it the engine? 2k rebuild is cheaper than a new truck.. and u know the history.. im a 40 yr auto/truck technition

It's been gone for a couple of weeks now. 95 S-10 , vortex 6, 4X4, extended cab. Thought of that but got a few dings in it from a spring hail storm and the insurance co. totaled it, I bought it back and got approx. $7,000. less the $1100 I paid to buy it back with a salvage title. I was ahead 6 and the truck. Started the thing and went into my usual loafing spot, left it running, thermostat stuck closed and got terrible hot before someone spotted it. Just let it sit and cool overnight, replaced the thermostat and had a leak between the transmission and block. As you know the 95 was a year where most parts from others won't fit and I would have to pull the motor and transmission to see if it was a freeze plug or block, and as hot as it got about 50-50 chance. Sold it as is for $1500 and didn't look back, couldn't pass it up, especially with a salvage title.;)

Stairman
01-02-2009, 01:09 AM
My wife drives a cherokee and it has been ok.[2004]But a friend of mine is a Jeep mechanic and he drives a Chevy truck like me.When I asked him why he said Jeeps have alot of problems and he should know.IMO Toyotas are the most dependable but pricey.

palm stalker
01-02-2009, 01:24 AM
ok, good to learn the whole story . never good to leave an engine running.late model cars,fuel injected. run 228 till t_stat open..

tacmedic
01-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I currently drive a 2001 jeep cherokee that I bought used, and I love it. I did have some problems with it when I first bought it (alternator, water pump twice, and some sort of an electrical problem), but that it what the extended warranty is for. Paid for everything. Other than hitting the occasional deer, I haven't had any problems with it since the first 6 months I had it.