PDA

View Full Version : Fishing kits and Fishing line

SARKY
12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
It seems like every book i've read and every post pertaing to fishing kits has the same reccomendation...fishing line rated at somewhere between 8 and 12 lb test. WHY? I carry 80lb test Spyder Line fishing line, it is the diameter of 12lb test monofilament. So what lb. test do you have and why?

flandersander
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I use 30 lb test for fishing and my survival kit. Basically because one time I had my drag tightened down (don't ask) and caught a 15lb pike. It turned the boat, but never broke the line. Its breaking strength is higher than that of the snare wire I use and has excelent knot strength.

Sarge47
12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
I think that the Survival books are just making a suggestion on fishing line that is lightweight & won't take up to much space in the usual S.K.. Go with what works for you!:cool:

SARKY
12-31-2008, 01:34 AM
I guess what I am asking is why the heck would I be using 6lb test line if my life depends on bringing the fish in no matter what! After all this isn't sport fishing. And the hightech lines are stronger and thinner than monofilament, which means I can carry a length of line just as long as the monofilament but because of it's strength, I can use it for much more than just fishing. And unlike monofilament it won't take a set after being left on it's spool for years.

catfish10101
12-31-2008, 08:54 AM
I think these types of suggestions are regurgitations from years back (before powerpro hit the market), and should be adapted to your expected surroundings and situations. You would not use 50 pound test mono for 6 inch brook trout (powerpro might work though). Smaller fish are more likely to be caught in most survival situations therefore smaller lines are said to be better. If all you have is weedeater line, you are not likely to catch those small fish because they may see it and think something is wrong. Keep in mind that you can actually catch bigger fish on small line, but you can’t catch anything if they run from the line.

ClovisMan
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
I believe many of these books and comments come from before the invention of braided lines. Power pro rocks. I keep some 30lb and 50 lb rolled up on sewing bobbins in my kit. With the thin diameter you can use the 30 as thread for sewing as well.

RunsWithDeer
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I keep a braided line, PowerPro Spectra 50#, which is .014 and equivalent to 12# mono diameter. I chose it because I already keep that line on my salmon reels for Lake Michigan.

backtobasics
12-31-2008, 12:16 PM
I guess what I am asking is why the heck would I be using 6lb test line if my life depends on bringing the fish in no matter what! After all this isn't sport fishing. And the hightech lines are stronger and thinner than monofilament, which means I can carry a length of line just as long as the monofilament but because of it's strength, I can use it for much more than just fishing. And unlike monofilament it won't take a set after being left on it's spool for years.

I feel the same way. I always carry heavy enough line so that the fish will not get away. Now sport fishing i use 6lb.

crashdive123
12-31-2008, 07:46 PM
I keep 8# and 12# wrapped around some nails. I keep 30# braided wrapped on my bobbins.

skunkkiller
12-31-2008, 09:44 PM
i keep waxed string that i use for fishing sewing bow strings . i carry one spool white and one black the white i use in clear water the black i use in murky water i do mose my fishing primtive .you can't brake this string works good for snares to white for snow black be fore it snows.

primeelite
01-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah have been thinking about this for awhile as well. How do most of you do fishing where you can keep some type of pole etc in your backpack/gear. I a lot of times just carry the pole broken down and then put the line in once I get set up but this just seems really unnecessary and wish I could find a pocket fishing type deal.

crashdive123
01-01-2009, 07:24 AM
If you want to sit a relax, a pole is fine. You can make one easy enough in the wilds. If you "need" to eat, a trot line or trap is the way to go.

welderguy
01-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I use mainly 12# and 20# cajun line in my kits that stuff has done me good , on my reels it goes from 6# mono I think 45# on an offshore reel I have . but I am partial to the 12# cajun.

Runs With Beer
01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I also use Spider line, High poundage small dia. You can fish with it ,make snares, Even build a leanto, Great stuff.