PDA

View Full Version : Encounters with wild predators

corndog-44
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
What is it about these creatures that makes our seeing them so charged?

Baxter
09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
maybe the fact that they are WILD :P but mostly the fact that they are not used to seeing humans and don't know what we are so they may get defensive and may act aggressive as a way to warn us not to mess with them or else or they'll bite your face off...haha.
has anyone ever had a NON predatory animal charge them? i had a rabbit try to attack me once...and i'm not even embarrassed to say i ran, them suckers got big teeth...

Sarge47
09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
maybe the fact that they are WILD :P but mostly the fact that they are not used to seeing humans and don't know what we are so they may get defensive and may act aggressive as a way to warn us not to mess with them or else or they'll bite your face off...haha.
has anyone ever had a NON predatory animal charge them? i had a rabbit try to attack me once...and i'm not even embarrassed to say i ran, them suckers got big teeth...

You're joking, right? Was this the same rabbit that the Monte Python group had to blow up with the "Holy hand grenade" in their "Holy Grail" movie?:rolleyes:

owl_girl
09-13-2007, 10:40 PM
You're joking, right? Was this the same rabbit that the Monte Python group had to blow up with the "Holy hand grenade" in their "Holy Grail" movie?:rolleyes:
That movie is hilarious :D

SOE digital
09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
i had a rabbit try to attack me once...and i'm not even embarrassed to say i ran

You should be embarrassed.

criticalmass
09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
I had a squirrel try to climb me cause I had my camo on one day. he was running from my helper and launched out of the tall grass towards my.....well, you know.

FVR
09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Well let's see; I onetime reached into a well vault and picked up a mess of hoses, only problem was when I put them down, one was attached to my hand. Luckily, I was wearing leather gloves, I jumped, flung, and the snake fell off, then it chased me. Water mocs will do that.

Then there were the two sep. times that I was charged by boar hogs, that was scary.

Was chased by a pack of wild dogs in the Jersey Pines, I was on a motorcycle, we got to the truck and loaded seconds before the dogs arrived.

There was the time I reached into the grain bucket to feed the horses and a mouse attacked my hand. Well, I did pick him up by mistake.

How about the time the bluejay attacked me in my treestand, or the time when I went to lift the top off an air compressor and I grabbed a wasp nest, that hurt. For days.

Then there was that bull that chased me through the pasture up in Frenchtown, that story made it into a bowhunting mag.

That's just a few "encounters with the wild" I've had.

survivalhike
09-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Most of my wild animal encounters have been much nicer than that thankfully.

I had a family of foxes sleep by the same fire my friend and I we're sleeping next to during a cold desert night out camping.

I had a couple bears walk within 20 feet of me on the other side of a river while I was fishing.

The only scary one happened to me and a friend after a bit too much juice of the barley, when we cornered a bobcat accidentally and it hissed and showed it's teeth. Three sheets or not, you know when to back away, and that is what we did.

RobertRogers
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Hey, even if a mouse attacks me I would be a fool not to avoid it! Rabies, etc.

The most dangerous animals are those who have become accustomed to being around people and scavenging through garbage etc. Animals instinctively know men are predators that are not to be messed with.

FVR
09-14-2007, 08:04 PM
That crazy mouse caused me to go to the Navy hospital. Rabies was ruled out as the doc felt that if the mouse was rabbid, it would not have been in the feedbag.

I'm not too much on picking up rodents nowdays. Took me 6 months just to pick up Angel, our family rodent. Still, yuck.