PDA

View Full Version : Ordering seeds

RunsWithDeer
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
It must be that time of year, I had 3 seed catalogs come in the mail today. Time to plan my spring garden planting. Since I have not done a good job of collecting seeds, I will need to be buying my seeds. In the past, I have not always had good success in collecting and storing seeds either. Seems the germination is low, and with the hybrids, you don't know what you are getting. Also, I like to try different things, and the variety offered in the catalogs is good.
This next season I do want to collect some of my own seeds, any suggestions on varieties of vegetables that work well in collecting seeds from?

nell67
12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
For starters buy only heirloom seeds,not hybrids!
With the heirloom seeds you can save the seeds for years if you wish,but hybrids were developed to be a one season planting,the saved seeds do not germinate well,and should not be relied on.

crashdive123
12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
One thing to remember if you want to harvest seeds from your plantings is that seeds from hybrid are often not viable. Seeds from heirloom plants do very well.

Edit: Looks like we had the same idea Nell.

nell67
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
One thing to remember if you want to harvest seeds from your plantings is that seeds from hybrid are often not viable. Seeds from heirloom plants do very well.

Edit: Looks like we had the same idea Nell.

Great minds think alike Crash!

Another thing make sure the seeds you buy are hardy in the zone that you live in.

Corn,greenbeans,peas,watermelons,cucumbers,tomatoe s,squash,pumpkins,,anything that has seeds can be saved as long as you stick to heirlooms.